Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Big Parade Restoration Premiere

hlywdkjk

This is what I was hoping for. Spread the word! My main concern is that the Davis score won't be in proper synch with the new print, since it was recorded originally in 1983. THE BIG PARADE was fully restored in 35 millimeter between 2002 and 2004. Completed in Mid 2004. That version has been screened a handful of times at live events. I think this will be a digital screeening. I don't think any additional work has been done, other than to transfer it to a digital medium. Finally replacing the 1963 Thames Silents version that TCM has been saddled with since the early 90's.

The 2004 Fine-Grain master made from the long believed lost original camera negative found at Eastman House in 1997 never made it to TCM. Chuck Tabesh said that they helped to fund the new transfer. One regret is that Kevin Brownlow's Photoplay Productions is not involved in this project. After all Kevin did to keep this picture in the public memory during the early 80's. And he himself stumbling upon the Camera Negatives at George Eastman House while lecturing there. Just doesn't seem fair. Worse the same thing is happening with NAPOLEON! I kid you not!

TheBigParadeMarchingOnToTheFront.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

TCM announced today that Kevin Brownlow will attend and introduce the World Premiere of the new restoration of *The Big Parade* at the 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival. The restoration was undertaken by Warner Bros. in partnership with Photoplay Productions.

Very good news. I was under the impression that Photoplay was not involved? Basically that is what I was informed from a friend who attended a screening of *SHOW PEOPLE* with Carl Davis score a few months back. Kevin was there as well. It played to a packed house at AMPAS of 2000 people. Hopefully, we will see the new version on TCM by the early Fall.

In the meantime, are they finally debuting the newly restored *WINGS* tonight? Sure doesn't look like it based on the three previews running. It's been out on DVD and Blu-ray since January of last year. But the restored print has never been shown before on TCM, and may not be until April. That's what TCM Programmer Chuck Tabesh told me back in late November. After their failing to get the Photoplayb version a couple years back it would be extremely disappointing if Paramounts own 2011 restoration does not premiere this evening.

Hey Scottman! Yes, we talkied about *WINGS* a fair amount in the Hot Topics forum. I was very pleased that they ran the new restoration. Somewhat unexpected. However, there was no mention of it in Robert Osborne's introduction? The debut should have gotten more build up.

*THE RACKET* also got allot of searches on the TCM Data Base. Hopefully many people ordered the Blu-ray and or DVD of *WINGS*. People were asking where the DVD of *THE RACKET* was at? It would have been nice to have seen *SEVENTH HEAVEN, UNDERWORLD,* and *THE LAST COMMAND* during 31 Days of Oscar as well. Those three never air.

By the way, I have posted allot of new stuff on Youtube and TCM-CFU recently. Including three clips from *GLORIOUS BETSY* with my compiled score, and Now a couple clips from *FINE MANNERS*. Plus you may not have seen the clips I uploaded from *LOVES OF CARMEN, IRENE, NO MAN'S LAW,* and many other films.

Here are the links to the *FINE MANNERS* scenes I just put up. Actually it's about the First 20 minutes of the film, minus the opening credits.

• 1 month later...

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}TCM announced today that Kevin Brownlow will attend and introduce the World Premiere of the new restoration of *The Big Parade* at the 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival. The restoration was undertaken by Warner Bros. in partnership with Photoplay Productions.

Publicity for Kevin being at THE BIG PARADE screening is lousy. I can't find a mention of it anyplace. This should be much better advertised. In-fact the press for THE BIG PARADE screening in general is terrible. I'm not happy with the lack-luster effort. It's never once been mentioned on TCM. This screening should easily be a sell-out with Kevin there. IT and THE GENERAL are fairly easy to see. THE BIG PARADE has been anything but easy to see. It deserves to be the feature Silent screening of the entire festival. I'm also dismayed that a 4rth Silent was not announced. There were 4 features last year and a few shorts.

*"Publicity for Kevin being at THE BIG PARADE screening is lousy. I can't find a mention of it anyplace. This should be much better advertised. In-fact the press for THE BIG PARADE screening in general is terrible. I'm not happy with the lack-luster effort. It's never once been mentioned on TCM. This screening should easily be a sell-out with Kevin there."* - gagman66

There will likely be a full house to see *The Big Parade* -- made up entirely of passholders. The theater the film is assigned holds 477 persons.

The biggest reason for there *possibly* being single admission tickets to the screening is that the FF has seven events occuring during that time period on Saturday. It is far more likely though that one could purchase a seat to see any of the screenings at the larger theaters during that time than for *The Big Parade*.

As to the publicity, the silents presented with live accompaniament always get the biggest promotions. This year *It* and *The General* have that distinction. *The General* is also designated the Closing Night event of the Film Festival.

Still, I don't think the Film Festival believes that *The Big Parade* premiere is a "lesser" presentation. It is just that both Clara Bow and Buster Keaton have proven to be very popular with attendees during past Film Festivals. I think the FF even had to schedule a second screening of *Call Her Savage* because the first one turned away so many people.

The screening is a major event for the Film Festival. But it won't sell passes in the way Keaton with the Alloy Orchestra will. And the possiblity that there will be single admission tickets available is small because of the theater it is in. So publicizing the event doesn't make a lot of sense.

If *The Big Parade* draws a full house, it is possible it will also get a second screening too so that even more folks can see the film. If that happens, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

If you are contemplating attending the screening, I truly hope you are successful at getting a seat. I don't think there is anyone who would enjoy it more.

• 1 year later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings