Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

ben42day

What happened to the dialogue in this movie. The last couple months I have ran across it and it seems like they dubbed over and it now sounds very strange. What happened to the other versions with the original voice's. It's sounds like the actors but it sounds like they dubbed over it just recently....Does anyone know?

It was restored in 2003 with footage added that was not in the American release version. They had to get Eli Wallach and Clint Eastwood to dub the parts of the film that they hadn't done back in the 60s as the footage wasn't seen in the English-language version. Naturally age took its toll and neither man sounds as he did nearly 40 years earlier.

Oddly enough, I find that the actor they hired to loop the dialogue for the late Lee Van Cleef (Simon Prescott) sounds more like Van Cleef than Eastwood and Wallach sound like themselves.

It is more possible to watch this long movie on TCM than it is on channels with commercials. It takes a good 6 hours or more to try to watch this on channels with commercials.

This is one I wish they would have edited more. Some people go for the marathon Italian Westerns, but they are soo long, couldn't they have edited out some of the artistic photography that has nothing to do with plot ? ......I like this movie though, and it is alot easier to sit through on commercial free TCM....

They followed it with How The West Was Won.....Eli Wallach plays pretty much the same character...and then theres The Magnificent Seven, more Eli as a bandito. ...but I like him in all 3, maybe because it's pretty much the same character in all 3.

I HAVE mentioned here on more than one occasion that my wife(of Mexican heritage)considers, jokingly, ELI WALLACH her favorite "Mexican" actor!

But we too were watching "Good, Bad, Ugly" last night(or early this morning!) and felt that the scene near the end with the cemetary standoff between Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach could have used some serious editing.

But since, believe it or not, last night's version was the ONLY time I've managed to watch the whole movie in all these years, I'm not aware of any differences from earlier broadcasts. I would have to dig up an old VHS copy to see what you all mean.

Sepiatone

The first 30 years, I thought this was a pretty cheesy film. Then it hit me.

Unlike some of Clint's other spaghetti westerns, I found myself watching

this one from start to finish everytime it was on. This is a true epic and,

to me, quite an elegant piece. I especially enjoy the scenes of each side

fighting over the bridge. The trenches were a nice touch. Nice musical

score in the trenches and bridge scenes as well as in the prisoner camp.

I believe this film, of all his westerns, will stand the test of time.

I bow and thank all of you B-)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings