Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who watches TCM?

I've been watching movies starring the Marx Brothers ever since I recorded them. I knew they were funny, but had never watched any of their movies. They're hilarious. I love comedy, so, I really enjoy them along with the other comedians in the April Fools Festival.

That is what is on all the other channels, cable or non-cable.

TCM is a class act, hence one cannot ever lose when one tunes in.

Just last nite I watched a few bits from "The Women" just to see Mary Boland and Paulette Goddard fight.

Top notch entertainment!

I *just* finished Three on a Match, which not only did I love, but it left my mouth agape for the last 5 minutes of the film.

Like someone said, though, TCM really does not have any garbage. Even the worst movies (and in all sincerity, I have never seen a classic movie that I would never, ever watch again) seem better IMO than a lot of today's movies. And trust me, I've seen some bad movies. Varsity Blues, anyone??

Three on a Match - I had wanted to see that for the longest time and I finally got to about a year ago...great film!

As to the original question....I'm in college now and don't get TCM (very sad) so I don't get to see a lot at all, but I think they show mostly good stuff. I get a little worried when I see newer films (like 80s,90s) on the schedule in prime time, but....they are still going strong, to me at least.

This is almost embarrasing to admit but TCM is absolutely the only channel I watch. I don't even watch the news.......I read the news a couple times daily online. My pattern is turn on the TV and watch TCM.....I only need the remote to control the volume! I don't need HDTV or surround sound!

My 8 year old daughter told her 2nd grade class that she loves Joe E. Brown and the teacher said..."who?" I have a feeling I am raising a TCM geek......

The only difficult thing is knowing I am paying Cox Cable $82 per month for ONE CHANNEL! But what the heck......it's worth it.

Tom

Tom, I understand how you feel about the cable bill. I have satelite, so I have to subscribe to a package that includes TCM. Otherwise, why watch TV?

As far as watching only TCM, that's nothing to be embarrassed about. A few years ago, one of my son's friends who was a frequent visitor to our home, came in and saw a "modern" program playing on our TV. He commented he didn't know we had a color set. All he'd ever seen us watch was classic movies!

I agree, there's no garbage on TCM. I usually watch every day for at least a movie or two.

tomagain77 and happyowl55 - you both made me laugh. When my son was 5 he was already a big Fred Astaire fan and knew all the classic monsters. He thought it was odd when none of the other kids knew what Top Hat or The Creature from the Black Lagoon were! Now at 14 he's just discovering Harold Lloyd and other silent films. He's also a Marx Brothers fan and Abbott & Costello.

He doesn't mind being a classics geek. He says kids dont know what they're missing! I'm sure he'll be happy to know there are other young people that like the 'old stuff'.

I enjoy the One Reel Wonder Features and From the Fault. I set my recorder to record every morning around 5:00AM, just 20 minutes before that movie is over to catch some of the best ones. I've recorded W.C. Fields, The Pharmacist, black and white cartoons etc. Try it, you'll be surprised what you catch that you wouldn't see other wise. As far as movies go, I never miss Friday Night Imports and Silent Sunday Nights. I record the silent movies and watch them later when I have time to give them the attention they demand. You can't walk away from them and still keep up with the plot, that is why I watch them when I can see them all the way through.

My 2 granddaughters, 6 and 5 years old, watched Rodgers and Hammerstein before they watched Disney!!

They watch TCM with me all the time. If some poor, misinformed soul, like their Papa or their Daddy, start to scan thru the channel listings, the girls will let them know that they WANT to watch that movie (the classic). I love it!!

I don't think the girls even realize that the movies we watch are old movies. But they do know that they're good movies!!

Good idea, nsallieharding. When I watch classic movies, I like to watch for actors in obscure roles who later became stars. Yesterday I watched "Here Comes Mr. Jordan", with Robert Montgomery and Claude Rains. I spotted Lloyd Bridges as a member of the crew of the "heavenly airline." Had to stop to think about who he was, he was sooooo young.

I am so thankful to TCM.Im so glad they are staying true to showing real classics!Unlike (AMC).I'm a 29 year old male and love the classics love Dorris Day,and Cary Grant among others.Do you all receive TCM on basic cable or do you have to subscribe to Digital like i do.I wish it was on basic but its worth the extra $15.00.Just curious.

TCM is the best channel for classic movies 44yrs and my son,27 and my daughter 19 also watch most of the time with me. My daughters favorite move is Singing in the Rain. She's been watching since she was 6yrs old..For me TCM is the best!

Of the many posts where I might have done this recently, I have decided to pick this one to Welcome all the new people posting with us now, especially those of you who are just beginning to see the Classic Films we are so fortunate to see on TCM ranging all the way back through the Silent Films. It just delights me to see that you have such interest and enthusiasm in these movies, and wish to discuss them with us. Enjoy! :)ML

TCM is the best,I was always watching old movies in the 60's with my Mom back in the day prior to cable/dish.I wish I could get my son 12 to watch Classics(but he can not watch anything in black & white)his loss,So when I got TCM I was in heaven,just to see some of my childhood heros again. I still get chills watching old movies even if I know what's about to happen next.TCM thanks

• 1 month later...

I have always enjoyed the classics. I prefer the classics over some of the new movies of today. Not all the violence as todays movies. I do enjoy some of the comedies today especially if they star Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell. I would love to see Will Ferrell starring with the Marx Brothers or any of the comedian greats that would be great fun.

I watch TCM all the time. It is by far my favorite movie channel. I hate commercials. The only good thing about them is they make for a good time to take a potty break.

I just watched The Seventh Cross with Spencer Tracy, Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, Signe Hasso and Agnes Moorehead to name a few actors in it. I really liked this film and it is a SPencer Tracy film I had never seen..but I have to say the cons to having TCM is I am late for work alot and I have been known to call in quite a bit (*COUGH*) **Hello...I won't be in today...I'm *COUGH* sick...*** Meanwhile I have TCM on and a big cup of hot chocolate. Hmmm wonder what's on today *grins*

Jalanna

Well the great thing about TCM is there is something for everyone. I am not a real big fan of westerns, action movies, or silent films, but I'm sure there are those who love them, just like I love romance, comedy, drama and musicals. TCM offers it all, there was a time when I liked AMC but now it has more or less gone to pot, and definately doesn't live up to its name any longer IMO. The funny thing is I have always liked classic films, but I was not a regular viewer of TCM, mainly due to the fact that I use to have it on a channel with really bad reception, but recently it has become my favorite channel, and I find myself always looking at the daily schedule to see what was coming on that day. This hasn't been an easy year for me, and I have found that TCM has offered me a way to escape my troubles, and put my mind on something else. I'm glad that my cable company placed TCM on a better channel and that such a channel as TCM exist, I love their variety of films, and I love that they are commercial free. I hope they never change thier format the way that AMC did, if it isn't broke don't fix it, and TCM isn't broke.

As a young teenager, I remember once setting an alarm clock to wake up at 12:30 am, so I could watch Meet Me In St. Louis, on the Late, Late Show. Now, in my 50's (yikes, did I say that out loud?) those days are long gone, thanks to VCRs, DVDs, and TCM!!!! I own hundreds of movies, but it still knocks me out to turn on TCM and watch an old favorite, or discover a new (old) gem. TCM, and the 'old' AMC have/had fed my appetite for years, and I'm passing on this love of movies to anyone who'll listen -- mostly my nieces and nephews. My most proud moments are when I don't hear, before we select a movie..."Is it is color?" Yeaaaa!

I love, love...did I say LOVE this channel. Thank you, to everyone involved. The website is pretty awesome, too!

Note: AMC is a sad memory, for me. Haven't watched one thing, since it became just another channel. Shame. Nick Clooney left just ahead of all the changes. I bet he saw the writing on the wall, and was not happy.

Holly, I saw the title of this thread, and wrote all this, before I actually read your original comments. (my bad) Hmmmm. What have I watched lately? Ho-boy. What haven't I watched??!! lol! Gonna have to be another day....