Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CALM Act...an early holiday gift

filmlover

Awhile back, Congress passed the CALM Act, aka the "Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act," which says if any TV station you are watching (not TCM, obviously) plays their commercials much louder than the regular program, you can complain to the FCC and the offending station gets in trouble and it gets fixed.

It goes into effect tonight at midnight. :x

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}Awhile back, Congress passed the CALM Act, aka the "Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act," which says if any TV station you are watching (not TCM, obviously) plays their commercials much louder than the regular program, you can complain to the FCC and the offending station gets in trouble and it gets fixed.

>

> It goes into effect tonight at midnight. :x

We've had a similar thing in Canada in effect since September 1:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/08/30/crtc-commercial-volume.html

I haven't really noticed any difference, but then my hearing going down the tubes as I age anyway...

mark, it is my understanding that time has passed because the Act was passed in the last Congress, not the current one, back in 2010, and was signed by President Obama on December 15th of that year. The FCC adopted the rules a year ago and gave the networks a year to adopt them, so that time is up now.

So, what equipment would have to be installed? Is it a matter of commercials having been recorded at a higher volume so they'd need some kind of equalizer or do stations just play commercials at a higher volume than other programming? If it's the stations, we're living in an age of miracles and there's such a thing as a volume control, right? Even I know how to turn one of those things. Anyway, this is a good thing. It's common sense that irritating potential customers isn't the way for advertisers to go.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings