Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worst Pairing in a Movie

Dothery

Well, tonight I have to nominate Bette Davis and Sterling Hayden in The Star. That great big handsome YOUNG Sterling Hayden with the aging Bette really left me with my mouth open. I don't know how they ever cast them together. Now, I like Bette. I think her performance in Now Voyager was a masterpiece, and of course when she was young she was a wonderful young actress ... Of Human Bondage, Jezebel, all the other early ones ... but she was just too old for Hayden in this. He was just not believable.

Unfortunately she made a number of these pictures where the guy was too young. Glenn Ford had such a baby face in the first place that he always looked ludicrous as her lover.

I wish she'd stuck with the ones that were suitable for her. But maybe Jack Warner didn't let her. They didn't like her after she went to England and tried to sue them.

Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn in Love in the Afternoon. I just couldn't buy Cooper as this international playboy travelling around with all these women fawning over him. And Audrey is making up lies to make him jealous. I didn't see how he was worth it.

He didn't seem to show any emotion or heat or anything. Like a bump on a log to me. It seems he got that role because he was a star, not because he fit the role.

With regards to Davis and Jack Warner, they made peace after her trip to England and she got much better roles after that, starting with Marked Women and than that great run of movies (and roles fit for Bette), up until the mid 40s.

The Star, released in 52 by 20th Century-Fox was made after Bette left Warner Brothers in 49.

Don't get me wrong here; Jack Warner could be a jerk and wasn't known for treating actors well but he was smart enough to not mess with his biggest and best female star. It was other ladies at WB that didn't get great parts (e.g. DeHavilland, Lupino, with Olivia clearly showing she was one of the best in Hollywood after she left WB).

While Bette was miscast in a few of her WB productions (e.g. A Stolen Life (46) with baby faced Ford, In This Our Life (42 with DeHavilland), Mr Skeffington (44 with Rains), the majority of her pictures after returning from England where high quality products.

As for the question at hand: I'm sure there are worst ones but I have to agree with Cooper and Audrey Hepburn in Love In The After Noon. One could also say Hepburn and Bogie in Sabrina, but because Hepburn is so wonderful as Sabrina, and Bogie is such a fine actor, the movie as a whole works, even if Bogie isn't a match for young Audrey.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Dec 16, 2012 12:10 PM

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Dec 16, 2012 1:43 PM

>Bob Hope and Katharine Hepburn in "The Iron Petticoat" - zero chemistry - zip, nada.

I don't understand how any producer or director could cast a 50 year old Katharine Hephburn and expect the audience to think of her as a desirable young girl in her 20s. This is just absurd.

"Love in the Afternoon" was one of the few pieces of miscasting Billy Wilder made. He had wanted Cary Grant for the lead with Hepburn but Grant said "No", just as he has said no to Wilder when he wanted Grant for "Sabrina" and the part went to Bogart and Grant said "No" to William Wyler and turned down "Roman Holiday" with her. He though the age difference was to great {?}, but in 1963 he said "Yes" to "Charade" and it was a great pairing...Go figure........

How fortuitous. Why, just early this morning, TCM showed *George Washington Slept Here* which paired the bland, nondescript JACK BENNY with the much younger, far sexier ANN SHERIDAN.

Maybe not the WORST pairing, but cetainly in the running.

Sepiatone

On another thread, I raised the question, which is better, GW SLEPT HERE or the similar MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE. I assume you would choose the latter.

This brings up a point I've never made but have often thought about. I saw GWSH many years ago and was bored with it, and I didn't see Blandings because I don't watch movies with a lot of difficulty in them. Why should I watch anything where I have to work for an hour and a half fixing someone else's stupid mistakes? I've got enough of my own to deal with.

You've all mentioned some of the worst pairings. Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn. Sophia Loren and Anthony Perkins. Here are some others that come to mind:

Katharine Hepburn and Robert Mitchum in UNDERCURRENT - as bad as it sounds? No, worse.

A more recent mispairing: Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie in THE GOOD SHEPHERD. Damon doesn't have much chemistry with female co-stars, except for Franka Potente, but this one is absolute zero.

I first saw GWSH when I was about seven or eight years old, so of course I thought it was hilarious. But now, while mildly amusing, I noticed others in the cast fared better than the Benny character's whining, sarcastic and annoying countenance.

So YES, I'd quickly, without reservation, choose the latter!

Sepiatone

How 'bout Anthony Perkins and any female star?

I think Undercurrent is going to be on this week during the day. Looks like a whole roster of Mitchum films. Cant be his birthday ( I think its in summer).....

Yes, its all day this Wed........

Edited by: Hibi on Dec 17, 2012 3:41 PM

To me the worst pairing is a great actor (or pretty good) with a bad actor, or perhaps just someone with no personality. Probably because the superior performer shows us what the inferior performer should be. I don't know. So here are some bad ones that come to mind:

Fred Astaire with What's-her-name and

Bing Crosby and the other What's-her-name in HOLIDAY INN (they're not worthy of you guys!)

and

Marlon Brando and What's-her-face in SAYONARA (he's acting her into the ground)

> As for the question at hand: I'm sure there are worst ones but I have to agree with Cooper and Audrey Hepburn in Love In The After Noon. One could also say Hepburn and Bogie in Sabrina, but because Hepburn is so wonderful as Sabrina, and Bogie is such a fine actor, the movie as a whole works, even if Bogie isn't a match for young Audrey.

>

I wasn't referring to the age difference at all. For example Rex Harrison and Audrey were just fine as well as Bogie and Bacall. Of course the skill of the actors has a lot to do with it.

My issue was The male role seemed to me more of a sophisticated type and Cooper was not that IMO. Grant might have been great but, then he's great in most things.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings