Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!! Week of Mon Dec 17-Sun Dec 23 Happy Holidays

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard to!!! Week of Mon, Dec 17 through Sun, Dec 23!!

Happy and Groovy Holidays Everyone!!!! It's that time of year, and quite often during this time of year, TCM rolls with holiday faves, old guard classic faves, and tons of musicals, so I'll let you all groove to those accordingly and just point out the goodies that I'll be totally digging on most!!

My grooves for the week will be kickin' off on Tuesday daytime for an entire day block of the lovely Myrna Loy!!! Yes, it's a lot of typical stuff, but I'm a sucka for the "Thin Man" mysteries, as I am for most mysteries from the 30's and 40's and I'm gonna be rockin' it to THE THIN MAN (1934), which is the only pre-code entry and the one with the most drinking and revelry!!! The next one is still pretty rockin', with Jimmy Stewart in the cast, in AFTER THE THIN MAN (1936) and rounding out the first part of the six flick series, which is the best of them, IMO, ANOTHER THIN MAN (1939)!!! Then a break with I LOVE YOU AGAIN (1940) with my main man Frank McHugh joining the party, followed by SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN (1941), LOVE CRAZY (1941) and THE THIN MAN GOES HOME (1945)!!! It's all wrapped up with the outstanding documentary, MYRNA LOY: SO NICE TO COME HOME TO (1991)!!! If you've never caught that one, it's really excellent, so highly recommended!!!

I pick up my grooves on Wednesday this week with what I'm calling "The TCM Wednesday of Noir"!!! Or if you wanna break it up, it's Noir in the daytime with Mitch, and Noir in the night with Babs Stanwyck!!!! Day long Mitch tribute, kicking it off with UNDERCURRENT (1946) with Katharine Hepburn and Robert Taylor along with Mitch, followed by WHERE DANGER LIVES (1950 with Faith Domergue (be still my beatin' heart!!), Claude Rains and Maureen O'Sullivan!! Then it's va-va-voom Jane Russell and Vincent Prince joining the Mitch party in HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951), followed by gorgeous Ava Gardner and Melvyn Douglas in a really lite noir (heavy on the lite!!), MY FORBIDDEN PAST (1951)!! Jean Simmons rocks it with Mitch in ANGEL FACE (1953), also starring Mona Freeman, Herbert Marshall, Leon Ames, and Jim "Mr Howell" "Mr Magoo" Backus!! Noir in color??? I dunno, but they go for it anyway in SECOND CHANCE (1953) with the lovely Linda Darnell and gritty Jack Palance!!

Then it's Babs night (and day too!!!) as December's Star of the Month, and this week the focus is on noir and crime, as we kick it off with one of the all-time best with Freddie Mac and Eddie G in Billy Wilder's DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)!!! Groove it! Then it's Babs, the sexy Lizabeth Scott, Van Heflin and Kirk Douglas in THE STRANG LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS (1946)!!! Burt Lancaster joins the fun with SORRY, WRONG NUMBER (1948), then it's Fritz Lang directing Babs, Marily Monroe, Robert Ryan and Paul Douglas in CLASH BY NIGHT (1952)!!! Dig it!! Barry Sullivan and Ralph Meeker show up with Babs in JEOPARDY (1953), followed by George Sanders (couldn't keep him away, could we???) in WITNESS TO MURDER (1954)!!!

Joining Babs for the all night and all day party, at 6:30am, the noir meme continues with CRIME OF PASSION (1957) with Sterling Hayden and Raymond Burr!!! Then the excellent documentary is reprised at 8am est, BARBARA STANWYCK: FIRE AND DESIRE (1991)!! Then Bogie joins the noir party in THE TWO MRS CARROLS (1947), followed by Errol Flynn in CRY WOLF (1947)!!!

Pre-coders be alerted brothers and sisters!!! From 2:15pm to the end of the daytime block it's Babs in a rockin' quartet of pre-code flix!!!! LADIES THEY TALK ABOUT (1933) with Preston Foster, Lyle Talbot, Ruth Donnelly and Maude Eburne!!! Followed by THE PURCHASE PRICE (1932) with George Brent and Lyle Talbot (Lyle was all over the place in the pre-code era wasn't he??), then a very poignant and sad pre-code flick, FORBIDDEN (1932) with Adolpe Menjou and Ralph Bellamy!!! And rounding out the block it's Babs with my main man Ricardo Cortez, Sally Blane (Loretta Young's pretty much look-a-like sis!!), and Monroe Owsley in TEN CENTS A DANCE (1931), an awesome flick, highly recommended!!!

Friday it's all about the "end of the world" during the day with THE LOST MISSILE (1958) kicking it off at 7am est!!! Followed by THE SATAN BUG (1965), with Richard Basehart, Anne Francis and George Maharis!!! Then it's Vincent Price as THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964)!!!, followed by Richard Lester directing Rita Tushingham in THE BED SITTING ROOM (1969)--I've not seen that one before and definitely want to check it!! Then it's FIVE (1951), followed by PANIC IN YEAR ZERO (1962) with Ray Milland (who also directs!) and Jean Hagen!!! Wrapping up the doomsday scenario is Harry Belafonte, Mel Ferrer and Inger Stevens in THE WORLD, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL (1959)!! That looks pretty rockin' as well!!

Friday night's have been a TCM Spotlight on Ernst Lubitsch this month and it's been totally groovy, with tons of early talkies and pre-codes!!! This week it's THE LOVE PARADE (1929) kickin' it off, and starring Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald and Lupino Lane!!! Followed by another early talkie, MONTE CARLO (1930), with Jeanette MacDonald again, along with Zasu Pitts!!! And finally, it's Chevalier and MacDonald teaming up again, this time with Una Merkel and Edward Everett Horton in THE MERRY WIDOW (1934)!!!

Saturday morning, a noir shows up at 9:15am, TWIST OF FATE (1954) with Ginger Rogers and Herbert Lom!!! Check it out! It's in color though! LOL Followed by this week's Durango Kid oater, with Charles Starrett and Tex Harding in BLAZING THE WESTERN TRAIL (1945)!!! Then the final Saint film, and the second without George Sanders, THE SAINT MEETS THE TIGER (1943), with Hugh Sinclair filling in for the second time! Just a heads up--starting Jan 29th, Saturday noons will feature the spunky and sexy Glenda Farrell (with my main man Barton MacLane) in the Torchy Blane series, one of my all time faves!!!! And following this week's Saint entry, it's Hi-Ho-Silver Away with the Lone Ranger and Tonto in THE LONE RANGER AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD, starring Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels, natch!!

And in case you miss it A CAROL FOR ANOTHER CHRISTMAS (1964) is on again on Saturday 4:15pm!! And the evening will be a "1950's" theme, and I'd have to recommend grooving to the documentary, HIDDEN VALUES: THE MOVIES OF THE '50S (2011)--it's really coolio!!!

Sunday, I'll be grooving to Jimmy Durante and Terry Moore in THE GREAT RUPERT (195) at 6:30am est!! At 4pm est, it's The Duke, Pedro Armenariz, and Harry Carey, Jr in John Ford's 3 GODFATHERS (1948)!!! 10pm est it's Don DeFore, Ann Harding , Victor Moore, Charlie Ruggles, and Gale Storm in a holiday classic, IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVENUE (1947)!!! This week's Silent Sunday Night is the Carl Theodor Dreyer classic, THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928), a chilling and intense flick!!!! Followed by Jean Renoir's GRAND ILLUSION (1937) and then the first talkie version of the story of "three Godfathers", William Wyler directing Charles Bickford, Raymond Hatton and Fred Kohler in HELL'S HEROES (1930)!!! Dig it hard!!!!

Happy and Groovy Holidays everyone!!! Thanks TCM for all the groovy flix!!!

I thank you for your wonderful presentation!

I have been dreading this week because the schedule for Friday day is nearly exact of a day which Capuchin created for a TCM Programmers Challenge. He has not made a statement of any kind since we saw the schedule but he smirks in a vexing manner each time I mention it.

I have heard much of: *Fritz the Cat* (1972) which was on the original schedule for Underground on Friday night. I am sad to see that it has been replaced with a documentary.

I am torn about: *A Carol for Another Christmas* (1964) because the premise is interesting and I like Sterling Hayden and Eva Marie Saint but I have strong dislike for Ben Gazzara and I like few movies by Joseph L. Mankiewicz.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings