Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
astairegirl

MGM MUSICALS

Astairegirl with another comment/question for Y-O-U!

There's just something about musicals that...well, it's hard to explain. It's very unrealistic, but that's the fun in watching it. Breaking out in song, dancing in the streets, and everyone else joins and happen to know the song and dance steps and don't think you are weird.

Anyway, besides the rambling, do any of you like musicals? Do you get the songs stuck in your head and can't get it out? Does it make you want to "get up and dance"?

Well of course, who cannot like an MGM musical. They were all so wonderful, even the lesser known ones.

It did take a few years after seeing "Clockwork Orange" to get the "Singing in the Rain" sequence out of my head, but I am back to always watching that film if it's on, even if just to see the sequence with Donald O'Connor dancing up the walls and somersaulting. Another great film in that mode is "The Bandwagon" which is so great that I'm not sure which one I like better.

If you include any musical films with Judy Garland, from the MGM days and there are other people I like to see dance like even Bobby Van, then one could go for days just watching the MGM oeuvre. I can't say I want to get up and dance though, as I am so mesmerized by watching some of Fred's routines, like the one with the firecrackers, that I am left speechless.

I love MGM musicals. Actually, I love all musicals. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is a favorite. Brigadoon, The Band Wagon, Showboat, Singin' In The Rain, West Side Story, The Sound of Music(gee how long I could make this list!). I love anything..and I do mean anything with Astaire or Kelly. I love Donald O'Connor, Dan Dailey, the Nicholas Brothers, to name a few. I also love Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse, Jane Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Judy Garland to name a few more. I also love movies that aren't necessarily billed as a musical, but are about music. Holiday Inn, Sun Valley Seranade, The Glenn Miller Story, With a Song In My Heart, Stars and Stripes Forever. I could go on all day. One of my all-time favorite movies is That's Entertainment. I like II and III, but the original is the best. Anytime I'm feeling low, I put on That's Entertainment and I'm totally happy by the time it's over. Musicals are usually just simple plots and happy people. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy and girl sing and dance beautifully and boy gets girl. They are wonderful and sadly are a lost form(as are most good movies!). I feel bad for the movie fans of today. When you see Astaire and Kelly and know that you'll never have that again, it's kind of ironic. To be so entertained and happy yet know it's a by-gone era. But it's nice to know there's those of us around that still love the musicals and the stars that made them wonderful!

I always get the songs stuck in my head after any musical, but thats a good thing, and if I get tired of a song, I just watch another musical!

I dont get up and dance, but my son imitates Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly and any other dance number that caught his eye and feet!

But then again, he dances to some commercials too! (The Joe Boxer ad from last year comes to mind)

I love musicals. My husband asked me how I can watch the same ones over and over again. I told him it's like watching really long music videos.

My granddaughters, ages 6 & 5 like them, too. We all dance around the house. Hope no one peeks in the window. They might cart us away.

Gene Kelly and Judy Garland say it all for me. They were great! How many movies were they in together?

I'm not sure, but...i am in love with Busby Burkley's musicals. The way he set out the satge is phenomenal. Does anyone agree with me?

Buzz certainly took films where they'd never been before. Some of those dance configs were something to behold.

I'm going out on a limb here, but besides being infinitely entertaining, those kaleidoscopic Busby production numbers, in mandala like shapes, almost are hypnotic.

One can almost go into a trance state, particularly if there are bananas and Carmen Miranda in the film, as in "That Night in Rio".

I also love any Busby films that he totally directed or from the Golddiggers series.

happyowl55 wrote:

> I love musicals. My husband asked me how I can watch

> the same ones over and over again. I told him it's

> like watching really long music videos.

What a great way to put it! I knew there was a reason I used to love music videos.