Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

OT: A moment of silence and prayer

I've noticed nobody here felt up to mentioning the tragedy at Sandyhook elementary school in Newtown CT.

Understandably. My heart implodes each time I bring it to mind.

But you're all good people here, I think. And it doesn't seem out of line to mention we should all have a collective moment of silence and prayer for the victims and the victim's families. That is, aside from the constant prayers most have been saying since the news broke.

I'll not comment on the matter, nor try to editorialize in any way. Many debates and dicussions about this will arise in days and weeks to come about this horrible incident. Already people are at each other's throats in debates about gun control, school safety and mental health treatment. I wish not to use this senseless tragedy to forward an agenda.

These forums, in light of the scope of the recent madness, is not the place, and this soon is not the time.

My heart and soul will move much slower for the next several weeks.

My sorrow for all the families losses will not end for a long time to come.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Dec 15, 2012 7:08 PM

My prayers go out to all those affected..those who lost children or adults and their extended families, friends, and community. I haven't commented before because there really are no words...so horrible, so tragic, so heartbreaking.

I was just kind of dealing with the shooting at the Oregon mall, which I live about 5 miles from, and shop there frequently.

Now this horrible tragic event, with all those innocent little children lost and the adults too. This old world is getting sicker and sicker.

I am and will continue to pray for all involved in this awful school shooting.

What I hold on to is, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted."

I think our nation is brokenhearted right now.

Lori

How about instead of praying, you try doing something that might actually make a difference? Like I dunno, lobbying for stricter gun laws?

...and also, whenever you are in contact with someone that you think might have some problems, notify someone who might be able to get the person help.

(Deleted post, because Sepiatone's response above is correct.)

Edited by: EugeniaH on Dec 16, 2012 12:25 PM

Like I said, ACCC, this forum is not the place, and this soon is not the time.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Like I said, ACCC, this forum is not the place, and this soon is not the time.

>

> Sepiatone

>

True, this is not the place. But it *IS* the time. In a week, we'll be on to something else. Every time one of these shootings happens, there are cries that this is not the time to talk about what to do, because it's a time just or mourning. Thus, nothing is ever done.

I agree with you Val, this IS the time; and it looks like the President agrees as well. I wish the media would actually recite the Second Amendment! It's doesn't say that everybody has the right the have guns; there's a first part to the sentence, which makes it all an anachronism now:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

If the founders just wanted to give us an eternal right to have guns, they would not have put in the first part of that statement.

For the sake of this board (and because I think it's relevant), let me put it in movie terms. We all remember Henry Fonda rushing out to fight in Drums Along the Mohawk. Every man grabbed his gun, ran out of his house, and fought a battle. Well, that was then. We have armies and police now, and people who join those services are given guns when they really need them!

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> > Like I said, ACCC, this forum is not the place, and this soon is not the time.

> >

> > Sepiatone

> > True, this is not the place. But it *IS* the time. In a week, we'll be on to something else. Every time one of these shootings happens, there are cries that this is not the time to talk about what to do, because it's a time just or mourning. Thus, nothing is ever done.

> >

Exactly, Val. That is pretty much what I said, too.

With all due respect, I think that the point is that while I do agree it may be "time" to figure out a solution to prevent such things from ever happening again.. everyone sitting around adding his or her opinions and discussing political issues (even if the only true desire is to find solutions to an obvious problem in our society) is really a poor way to show respect right now to a lot of hurting people. And I say that speaking only for myself. It is only my own opinion.

No matter what I may or may not think about the political debates, I can tell you of a certainty that the most eloquent among us could summon up the greatest of speeches and argue from almost any side of the table right now and it would fall flat on my ears right now until proper respect is shown to the grieving victims.

And please know that my purpose in saying all this now is not to argue. .but simply to show support for what I feel is needed.. a chance for people to express the grief and sadness they are feeling. And yes the anger too.. but from a respectful and humble perspective, with the opinions and politics kept aside.

There are many ways to discuss and debate solutions to the problem in many other places that don't include this one thread. It may even be a sign of respect for those who want to solve things to discuss back and forth how to do it. But if you want so show your respect a diffferent way and only take a moment to offer a word of comfort to the hurting.. perhaps, if the original poster would agree.. this thread could be set aside for that.

And may I just add, God bless those who are hurting.. both in CT and around the nation.. perhaps even the world. This is a tragedy that hits all of us right where we live. It hits close to home, no matter how far away we might be from the place it all occurred. We will all hug our children a little tighter and we will all sleep much less soundly knowing that somewhere, a mother is looking beneath an unlit Christmas tree right now at all the gifts that will never be open. God be with her.. God be with us all.

Guns don't kill people, mind controlled, drugged up zombies kill people. I'm not a bit surprised when the Ritalin generation came of age. This is only the beginning.

Bring back the 1940's way of raising our kids. As our parents/grandparents once said Spare the rod, spoil the child.

I feel so bad for the parents of those slaughtered babies because other people are lazy to *be* parents or got brainwashed by the liberal "spanking is child abuse" GARBAGE! Children has to be taught the morals of knowing right from wrong!

Thank God I HAD parents that raised me proper.

Video games, ritalin, television, iphones, etc. are a bad substitute for parenting.

*Take this and be QUITE!!*

dosed_crop1.jpg

Because I think it bears repeating (from the original posting in this thread):

I'll not comment on the matter, nor try to editorialize in any way. Many debates and dicussions about this will arise in days and weeks to come about this horrible incident. Already people are at each other's throats in debates about gun control, school safety and mental health treatment. I wish not to use this senseless tragedy to forward an agenda.

These forums, in light of the scope of the recent madness, is not the place, and this soon is not the time.

My heart and soul will move much slower for the next several weeks.

My sorrow for all the families losses will not end for a long time to come.

Rohanka, thank you for your sensitive post. I certainly understand your point of view, and your eloquence attests to your compassion. But the reports from tonight's moving ceremony seem to say that the people in pain say, now is the time. Many remember the tragedy of the violence and murder in Selma, Alabama in 1965. President Johnson said enough, now is the time. He addressed Congess one week after the tragedy, and the Voting Rights Act was introduced and passed.

I thank you for your eloquent post. I've stayed out of this, indeed, I've not posted since Friday. The reason for that is because I'm in mourning. One of my very best friends will be burying his son on Wednesday. This is a child whom I've held in my arms before he could talk.

But, I will respectfully disagree on one point. While on one hand you are right, this is not the time, the truth of the matter is that the time should have been last week or last year or ten years ago. We've gotten to the point where we have "top 10 worst mass shootings" lists and that has to tell us something.

While I have plenty of opinions, thoughts, and ideas on the subject, this is one of the most contentious subjects in US politics, and this is not the website to discuss it, so I am bowing out of this one.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their friends and relatives. I must trust that God will accept the fallen and give solace to the survivors.

I will not defile the earnest sympathy of many posters by using this thread as a platform for comments on gun control but any person may PM me if they wish to know of horrors I saw growing up in a place with the strictest gun control laws possible.

From WIkipedia: singer/actor Mario Lanza was born Alfredo Arnold Cocozza in Philadelphia, PA. He changed his name to Mario Lanza in 1947 when he signed his contract with MGM. Lanza was his mother's maiden name. Both of Mario's parents emigrated to the U.S. from Italy before his birth. So not sure if Mario is related to the Lanza family currently in the news.

Sometimes in our lives something transcendant happens that affects so many people and touches us all. It therefore gets discussed in all arenas where people gather, even those arenas that were created for other purposes. I don't see this as a political issue.

For those of you who continually say, "this is not the place," I would refer you to the TCM Code of Conduct. So long as we are not offensive, there seems to be nothing in the Code that prohibits issues unrelated to film from being discussed.

The Code is very clear in its protection of copyright, so that for those of you who are so concerned about straying from the Code, I would look carefully at some of the photos that are posted on this board. But for those of you who rush to say that any non-film chat is out of bounds, I would refer you to the Code. And I would repeat that this current tragedy is not about politics. Maybe to think it is, is part of the problem.

Like some of you, I smelled the fires of 9/11. I'll never forget it. Had I been on the board at that time, and tried to express the way I felt (as everyone in NYC did in all the communities we belong to), would I have been inundated with posts saying, "this is not the place?"