Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

OT: A moment of silence and prayer

You point up what I should have known with my own analogies -- that there are no perfect analogies! Problems have to be addressed in a variety of ways.

But FYI is a temple in India where rats are worshipped:

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> But FYI is a temple in India where rats are worshipped:

I may have known of that at one time. It is quite possible that my subconscious remembered it when I was searching for an example of human behavior which many may think is extreme.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet - Shakespeare

In all seriousness, don't worry about tomorrow. I've been through more of these things than I can count, going back to the 60s. Can I say for certain that nothing will happen tomorrow? No, but say tomorrow is fine, I still couldn't say for sure whether the next day will not be the last.

Enjoy each minute as it is here, the next one isn't guaranteed, but may your last thought be that you did the best that you could to enjoy your life to that moment, and not a moment of it at the expense of others.

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

---The World

Scientists have been wrong before. Science hasn't.

There have been dozens, hundreds, thousands of predictions of the end of the world. Not one of them has come true. What will happen on the 21st will be that everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about. But, if you feel the need to obsess about something, go ahead. You only have a few more hours left to do so, however, but don't worry, another prediction will come along soon enough so you can get your fix on that.

Maybe you can embrace Saturday December 22nd, which will assuredly dawn as every day does, by thinking about how to develop your sense of humour.

(sorry, I know that is rather mean. But from the posts of yours' that I've read, it wouldn't be a bad idea.)

Or as the narrator (Michael MacLiammoir) recites at the end of *Tom Jones* :

"Happy the man, and happy he alone;

He who can call today his own.

He who secure within can say...

Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today!"

The problem with the slippery slope argument is that it takes things for granted

that are not sure to happen. Cigs were, after a long time, found to be hazardous

to a person's health, and warnings were put on cig packs and ads. I doubt there

are many places, if any at all, where it is illegal to smoke cigs in a free standing

home, though there are a few places where it is not allowed in apartment buildings

or condos.

Soft drinks are similar to cigs, though less hazardous to one's health. Drinking too

many sugary drinks isn't good for you, that's why some folks are against them, but

there is little regulation of soft drinks presently, and it's doubtful they will be outlawed

in the future. Cigs are much more harmful than soft drinks, but they haven't been out-

lawed and there are no signs that they will be.

The idea that the U.S. in 2012 is somehow akin to the Soviet Union is rather far-

fetched and just doesn't pass the common sense test.

Bildwasser wrote: "The idea that the U.S. in 2012 is somehow akin to the Soviet Union is rather far-

fetched and just doesn't pass the common sense test."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah HECK, Bild ol' buddy, I'll go even farther than THAT here!

The idea that the U.S. EVER will somehow be akin to the Soviet Union is not ONLY "far-fetched and just doesn't pass the common sense test", but ANYONE who believes that our nation with all it checks and balances inherent in the Constitution and with the history of WELL over 200 years of self-government would EVER become a country like Russia and then the Soviet Union, which was ruled by one either despotic or incompetent Royal after another, and then overthrown by an secession of EQUALLY despotic and incompetent "common" rulers because of the history and culture of their country precluded ANY concept of how America "works", THEN that person should immediately attempt to find at least SOME health care facility nearest to them in efforts to discover WHY the hell they're suffering from a VERY apparent and acute case of PARANOIA in their life!

(...or at least a MILD case of it, anyway...though I STILL would advise them to seek help in this regard!)

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Dec 21, 2012 1:56 AM

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}

> Lenin and the Communists did not promise freedom,

I thank you for that information. I did not know previously what form of revisionist history was considered socially acceptable here now.

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}

> There have been dozens, hundreds, thousands of predictions of the end of the world. Not one of them has come true.

I wonder if that sentiment was commonly held among the T. Rex

:)

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

> > I've had this in my head for the last 3 or so years, will something happen December 21st? Call me whatever you want.

> In that case, I'm gonna call you 'sweetie'.

Is that a reference to Dr. River Song in Doctor Who ?

> {quote:title=Bildwasser wrote:}{quote}

> The problem with the slippery slope argument is that it takes things for granted that are not sure to happen.

They are not sure to happen but they are more likely to happen if one is not very careful.

> Cigs were, after a long time, found to be hazardous

> Soft drinks are similar to cigs

It is possible to make a strong case for any single thing in the world that it is dangerous. The Dihydrogen Monoxide campaign was proof of that by convincing some influential people that action needs to be taken. The art of using skewed statistics and junk science has matured rapidly in the world in the last few decades.

I have heard that coffee is now being prepared as the next major target.

> The idea that the U.S. in 2012 is somehow akin to the Soviet Union is rather far-fetched and just doesn't pass the common sense test.

I did not mean to suggest they were akin. The erosion of freedoms has been experienced in all governments since the Ancient Greeks. I was holding up the Soviet as an example because they gained so much control so very fast by that method.

My statements were as if I was comparing a toddler to a cheetah because they exhibit bursts of speed but tire quickly. I would not mean to suggest that a two-year-old could rip the throat out of a gazelle.

I will say that it is obvious that there is far less freedom here now than when the country was founded. A person could once build any home they wished in any manner they wished on their own land and no one would question it. I helped a friend of a friend build a small shed to hold some hay and to give her horse shelter in storms. The building permit, environmental approval, zoning clearance and all other required paperwork took eleven weeks and cost exactly $18.07 less than all of the building materials we used to build the shed in one day.

One of the first things I did when I came to this country was to open a bank account. My apartment was not yet ready and so the only definite address I could supply was the post office box of a friend. I was notified by the bank last year that I had to provide a physical street address and identification bearing a photograph confirming that address or the account would be closed because of new Federal banking regulations.

I hope that none see any of my statements as complaints against the United States. I grew up under the Soviet. I did all I could as a citizen to separate my country from it. The levels of freedom instantly rose to incredibly high levels compared to what we had. I know surely that any person in the United States would find it still horribly oppressive in many ways.

I love very much the freedoms here and that may be why I am overly-protective of them and wish to preserve them against attempts to change things which could lead to oppressive regulations and more control by the government.

If that don't work, RV, always look on the bright side of life:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rcm0_monty-python-always-look-on-the-bri_shortfilms#.UNRjw3drSDk

Would you believe, RV, the PC Brigade omitted the crucifixion in SPAM on Broadway?

I guess they'd hate this one:

Jackasses, the lot of them.

P.S. SansFin, you're pushing a boulder up a steep hill. BTW, you are quite correct.

*omitted the crucifixion in SPAM on Broadway?*

OMG, I hope, at least, they included the mustard in the SPAM.

KA-CHING !

Mmmmmm, fried SPAM with mustard. Almost as good as liverwurst with mayo.

What in the holy heck did a thread on a moment of prayer get around to SPAM?

At least this one wasn't my fault! :)

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}But you and your friend will continue to make jokes on a thread that was meant to honor the victims and their families. Totally inappropiate.

The jokes are not related to anything that happened in CT.

I'll be honest, I'm getting rather irriitated with your incessant criticism of others.

This thread, or any for that matter, could do with a little less self righteousness from you.

My criticisism is only directed at you and willbe. If you're tired then stop posting inappropiate posts. Neither one of you know when to stop your complaints,cracks,name calling. Posters here are sickened by what happened in Connecticut. You choose to post cracks that were inappropiate in a time when most of us wanted to post sympathies.You are the one that went to battle with another poster on that thread. It isn't just me, it's practically everybody here that's *TIRED* of the posts that the 2 of you subject us to.