Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was going to mention The Freshman. Bedtime Story was good...haven't seen it in quite some time. They never show it on TCM and it's not out on DVD. I didn't think Guys and Dolls was a comedy. I haven't seen Candy. I did see Missouri Breaks...Brando wearing that get-up with the dress and bonnet was hysterical. I think he even passed gas in the film...I wonder if that was scripted...he usually added his own touches to films....and I guess he was gassy that day.

Mike00: I tend to disagree here, though I think I know what you mean. How can an actor be considered great if he/she had such a small body of work, if they only appeared in 2 films. Well alot of people consider Olivier a great actor. So many people, especially other actors from the classic period [ Spencer Tracy, for instance ] thought Olivier was the bee's knee's when it came to actors. However, I tend to find a majority of his film work superficial. And he made a boat load of films. 1952's Carrie would be an exception for me, I wish TCM would broadcast it, I thought he went really deep in that one.

The "personal issues" you refer to were largely obtaining enough money to maintain ownership of his island. Story has it that he never really wanted to do *Superman* , but they kept offering him more and more money to the point it was foolish to refuse. Yet, HE was derided because somehow word went out that HE DEMANDED it. After that, each producer felt that to obtain Brando for any role, the ante had to top the last payday, and he kept getting offers for mediocre parts for boatloads of money.

Personally, I don't blame him. I mean, if somebody came up to me and said, "Hey, Sepiatone! We'll give you $20 million to walk onto a set, light a cigarette and scream like a chicken. How about it?" HE has a DEAL!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}Personally, I don't blame him. I mean, if somebody came up to me and said, "Hey, Sepiatone! We'll give you $20 million to walk onto a set, light a cigarette and scream like a chicken. How about it?" HE has a DEAL!

Obviously your standards are much higher than mine! I would do the same for much less than $20 million! :)

Brando was actually hilarious in TEAHOUSE, though politically incorrect.

I liked him in that picture, though he didn't like himself in it. He talked later about how Glenn Ford was constantly trying to upstage him, and he started moving so that he couldn't, and Ford was really flustered. Funny, I thought.

I read that in his biography that he didn't like Glenn Ford too much. Apparently Glenn Ford upstaged him and Glenn Ford liked certain cookies and brought them with him from his home. There were lots of children on the set and Brando was always nice to children and I'm not sure whether he gave them some of the cookies or some of the kids took the cookies. In any case, Ford was livid and took back some of the cookies from the kids and Brando thought that was mean. Ford then had to have another shipment of cookies sent to him...and once they arrived Brando stomped on them and crushed them to pieces...Ford never knew who the culprit was, but I'm sure he guessed it was Brando.

Island of Dr. Moreau is the worst movie. It is so bad the the "guys" that did MST3K, did their "thing" with their "Rifftrax" and it is hysterical.

Marlon Brando made some very good films, and some very bad ones, but I guess that can be said about a lot of other actors too.

Lori

REgarding that cookie incident with Glenn Ford, it shows just what an *** Brando was.As for me; I never cared much for the 'acting choices' Brando used like playing whichever part with accents.This is only one reason why I pick Montgomery Clift as a far better interpretor for a any role he was in.

Brando is over rated compared with Clift. Now, I would have loved to have watched Clift & Morrow together.

AND PLEASE NO MORE GEO.BRENT ASSINIE COMMENTS, OK? !

I liked Montgomery Clift in From Here to Eternity and also a film called The Search and the one with Elizabeth Taylor and Shelly Winters...a Place in the Sun. Clift was in Young Lions with Brando...and I believe Brando did Reflections of a Golden Eye in place of Clift.

I liked the versatility of Brando.

I would have loved to see Vic Morrow and Montgomery Clift in a movie together. Vic Morrow is another favorite actor of mine.

Also, I don't know who George Brent is and couldn't care less about his rear end. Take that up with whatever poster actually cares about this guy's butt.

Edited by: movielover11 on Dec 20, 2012 7:43 PM

Edited by: movielover11 on Dec 20, 2012 7:47 PM

> {quote:title=newclassicfilmfan wrote:}{quote}Brando's my favorite actor. He was in so many good films, but he did have quite a few horrendous movies too - primarily cause in his later years, he didn't care to try so hard and took any type of roles for the money cause he had a lot of personal issues. I didn't read through the whole thread, but some of the worst films he made were (and this is just my opinion):

>

> Island of Dr. Moreau

> *A Dry White Season - too boring for me

> The Formula

> Superman

> *Burn*

> *Night of the Following Day

> *Candy*

> *Countess of Hong Kong

> Teahouse of the August Moon

> Desiree

> *The Chase*

> *Last Tango in Paris*

Of course you are as entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. My opinion is that the four films I bolded are quite good. The ones with asterisks,, I have yet to see.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Dec 22, 2012 3:43 PM

> {quote:title=movielover11 wrote:}{quote}I haven't seen Desiree yet. I have seen Viva Zapata - couldn't get past how much Brando looked like the Frito Bandido man in that.

The "Frito Bandido?"

I have a print of a famous photo of Zapata, from the national archives in Mexico City. It is amazing how much Brando manages to resemble Zapata, including the fiercest eyes I have ever seen. Zapata was an amazing man.