Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Even The Superstars Were In Some Stinkers

lydecker

Although I enjoyed it, the consensus around here is that the stars of THE IRON PETTICOAT had been in some better movies.

Edited by me because I inadvertently put the movie as THE IRON CURTAIN, not PETTICOAT.

Edited by: Arturo on Dec 19, 2012 3:46 PM

*If you're a superstar, chances are that you're in a LOT of films, so the odds increase that one or more are going to be lousy.*

Well back in the day, some superstars did maybe one, or at most two movies a year. So if your yearly movie is a turkey, it's going to be a while before you can redeem yourself with your next release.

A couple of clinkers from the past:

PARNELL - Clark Gable

THE GORGEOUS HUSSY - Joan Crawford

Two-Faced Woman (1941)

As more than a few people around have noted in the past whenever the topic of this film comes up, and although I was never all that big a fan of hers, it was a shame the somewhat miscast Garbo retired from the cinema soon after this misfire hit the silver screen.

Well, it wasnt her plan to walk away like that (or MGM's). It just worked out that way. The plan was for her to resume her career after the war ended and the European market opened back up. (her biggest fans). She came close to doing a film, but the financing fell through (the Balzac picture). Other parts she turned down. I think after awhile she just didnt want to risk another failure. She didnt need the money.

Although I feel like I'm abusing three of my favorite actors here:

Humphrey Bogart and *The Return of Doctor X* (But does this one really count since Mr. Bogart was not yet a superstar at that time and had no say in his assignment?)

James Cagney and *Terrible Joe Moran* (Mr. Cagney should have stopped with *Ragtime*.)

John Wayne and *The Conqueror* (As Jay Leno said to Hugh Grant: "What the hell were you thinking"?)

Please don't knock *The Return of Dr. X*, and Bogey's performance in it. It's a pretty good film. And Bogart's entrance -- with that white rabbit -- is one of the great entrances in any movie, ever! The DVD has an interesting interview with the film's director, Vincent Sherman.

So, you say ya want A LOT of big name stars all in ONE stinker, do YA???

Well then, MAYBE you can't do any better...err...I guess I mean WORSE than packin' all the following stars: Michael Caine, Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda, Olivia DeHavilland, Jose Ferrer AND Fred MacMurray, among many other notable and very familiar names, into 1978's The Swarm !

Yep, "bee-ware" of THIS one, alright!

(...sorry, just couldn't resist that whole "bee-ware" thing there) ;)

Well, maybe it was the audiences, finance, but after watching that movie recently on TCM, I just thought many of Garbo's line deliveries were..well..not up to snuff, though maybe it was that accent of her's which I thought made many of her funnier lines fall flat....though that's just a guess. I just think she didn't help that attempted screwball comedy ever get off the ground.

Now, if say Irene Dunne were in that role, I think she could have pulled it off MUCH better than Garbo.

(...say, this reminds me of a thread I've been thinking of starting around here with the title: "I would have rather seen he or she in that movie role"...though I'm sure a few people must have already started threads similar to this over the years around here, though I don't recall anyone having started one like this lately)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings