Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A DAY OF ROBERT MITCHUM FLICKS

misswonderly3

Coming up, Wednesday December 19th: a whole passel of Robert Mitchum films. I know he's been discussed many times on these boards, but Mitch is such an icon, he's always worth another look.

So, looks like mostly noirs - Mitch seemed to specialize in noirs and Westerns.

Nothing with Jane Greer, but we've got *Undercurrent* (one of the few films in which I actually almost like Katharine Hepburn), *Where Danger Lives*, ( this one always makes me feel I have a headache), *His Kind of Woman* -definitely as much a comedy as a noir, *Angel Face* (definitely not a comedy), and two I haven't seen, *Second Chance* and *She Couldn't Say No*.

Should be good. Too bad I'll be out doing Christmas stuff for much of that day. I'll have to record some of it.

So, not that I'm complaining - quite the opposite -but, anyone know why they're featuring Bob on December 19th? I looked him up, and it's neither the day he was born nor the day he died. So, just some random Mitch movies, someone programmed them on a whim?

Whatever the reason, it's hard to have too much Robert Mitchum. I say, Baby, I do care.

Hmmm...now don't quote me on this MissW, but maybe Dec19th was the day the screws at the L.A. Co. Jail told 'em... "Alright Bob, your time's up. You can go home now."...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJv-1dco_EZKQiXZPqjs0

I mean, wouldn't that be a special day in YOUR life TOO?! I know it would be in MINE!

(...sorry, just couldn't resist ;) ...btw, he's always been one of my favs too!)

Bob, bo Bob,

banana fanara fo fob

fe fi mo mob

Bob!

I feel the same as you about *Undercurrent* and Kate.

I like *Second Chance*. Fine cast, great scenery and photography, so-so script. Since you haven't seen it, you should watch it.

*She Couldn't Say No* is a romantic comedy. Worth a look, but not Bob's best milieu.

SHE COULDN'T SAY NO is a charming comedy with Jean Simmons as a rich girl and Mitchum as a country doctor in Arkansas. Jean is much nicer than she was in ANGEL FACE. The two work well together.

I agree on all counts with ValX about SECOND CHANCE. Not the best Mitchum film, but worth seeing. Location shooting helps.

Mitchum and Loy were both born in August (6 & 2) and TCM has their Summer Under the Stars tribute. so i guess Mitchum & Loy (among others with August birthdates) get the "short end" when it comes to Birthday Remembrance tributes. (same goes for Feb and 31 Days of Oscar.)

Loy did get a tribute this year on Aug 2 but was shelved in 2011 for a Paulette Goddard Day. Mitchum missed out in both 2011, Lucille Ball (100 years) and 2012, Van Hefflin.

i suspect TCM picks out a day when the birthdates for stars is "thin", and gives them a make-up (belated) day tribute. Bogart gets this kind of treatment because his birthdate is Christmas day.

*Angel Face* is a borderline "essential noir" . Anyone who hasn't seen it , you're missing a great one. *Where Danger Lives* is fairly good, it tends to bog down some, but Claude Rains is always worth watching. Problem is he's on for a few minutes then they kill him. Claude needed more scenes in this one. And I always will plug Mitchum's *The Big Steal* (not scheduled here) , its one of Mitchum's most entertaining films , a romantic, comedic, noir thriller (how many films can fit that description? ) *The Big Steal* needs more air time.

oh, no. i'd love to see those Bogey fliks on Christmas Day. i'm just remarking on what i think are the adjustments/compromises TCM makes to their schedule in order to feature other anniversary/holiday/special programming fare into their schedule when the birthdate of a star causes a perplexing conflict. when they get down to the nitty-gritty of someone's birthday or a once-a-year event (say, Dec 7, Christmas, or Memorial Day among others) the birthday has pretty low priority, but the programmer will try to make up for it by doing a tribute on some other "thin" day for commenorations (with no mention that it's a postponement when the tribute airs).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings