Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A note on Born Free

slaytonf

As you watch the movie, if you watch the movie (and why would you not?), you may be overcome with a sense of international intrigue, of the cold war clash of clandestine institutions, and instead of a lion, you might be inexplicably expecting Oddjob to come charging out of the bush. Don't feel anxious, you not are suffering from some previously undescribed form of synesthesia. It is merely the result of the film score being written by John Barry, who as far as I can see, is responsible for all the James Bond movie scores, though not the famous theme. Looking over his work, he is quite under-recognized and appreciated. Some of the films he scored include Midnight Cowboy, Petulia, Walkabout, The Lion in Winter, They Might Be Giants, Out of Africa, and Dances With Wolves.

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}

> It is merely the result of the film score being written by John Barry, who as far as I can see, is responsible for all the James Bond movie scores, though not the famous theme.

Bill Conti would beg to differ with you, as would Marvin Hamlisch if he were still alive.

Hamlet: How absolute the knave is! we must speak by the

card, or equivocation will undo us. (Act V, Scene I)

True, Mr. Barry composed the scores for only the first 11 Bond movies, so I thought it not too much of a stretch to make that qualified exaggeration since it had such a nice ring to it. Mr. Conti, if I have it right composed the score for For Your Eyes Only. Mr. Hamlisch did the same for The Spy Who Loved Me.

For anyone who appreciates "Born Free," may I also recommend "Ring of Bright Water" (1969)? It also features Bill Travers and Virgina McKenna.

No F-bombs (I know there are some among us who have issues with language in "family films") and heartbreakingly beautiful. I have it on DVD. Note: There's one scene that's hard to watch (roadside).

I love "Born Free" for a variety of reasons, the theme song of course being one of them.

Another memorable reason was I picked up on, er, hooked up with, er, met, one of my high school sweethearts at the local theatre during a showing of that wonderful film....

However, whenever I watch it anymore I can't help but also think about the tragedy of the real Adamson's... and the microcosm of what they, and this film represented. From the age of British imperialism, to independence, to dwindling space for wild life in a world overpopulated with more and more people on the marginal edge of existence... The flip side postscript to the romanticism of BORN FREE is TO WALK WITH LIONS (1999).

Oh yeah, RING OF BRIGHT WATER is another very sweet/bittersweet family film, especially if one enjoys watching the late Bill Travers and his real-life wife Virginia McKenna acting together.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings