Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Second Chance

prc1966

Just watched Second Chance this afternoon. I only saw it once before, about 15 years ago, and remembered very little except for a line or two of dialogue. I thought it was a really enjoyable film, a little slow to start, but very atmospheric and the cable car climax was top rate.

Question to anyone: I know the movie was filmed almost entirely on location, but is there really a small town in central Mexico that is accessible only via a 2-phased cable car ride? Shots of the mountain from the distance looked like a movie set, although the cable car station looked real enough.

According to the IMDb it was all shot on location in Taxco and Cuernavaca, Mexico. I spent a few hours in each, back in 1960, but I don't remember the cable car. I think it was probably not a separate town, but a portion of Taxco, or Cuernavaca. Whether there is also a street going up that mount, or not, I don't know. But, I am virtually certain it's a real cable car, going where they say it goes. The bit about only cable car access is probably just a plot device.

The vast majority of this movie was filmed in Taxco. I've been there twice in the last three years, and at least ten other times over the previous 20 years. I have always wanted to look for the cable cars, but I never have seen them. I've heard they are there, and that there is access to a hotel complex, but if there is a town there, and if it resembles that in the movie, thn it dates to the colonial period, and therefore would have had to have access some other way. Maybe just some trails that pack animals could be utilized to bring supplies.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings