Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's the END of the World! TCM is providing coverage!

allthumbs

> {quote:title=allthumbs wrote:}{quote}i just turned on TCM and they're providing coverage of our worldwide demise. they had shots of a picture of a strange rocket over Canada, and the news caused a panic in the NYC subways!

It's the End of the World As We Know It and R.E.M. will be providing the soundtrack to its demise

it's now reported that the Canadian incident has been brought under control. however, the demise of mankind is threatened by a virus, botulinus indignum, that has wiped out Florida (no more hanging chads?) and now threatens California. coverage continues live at TCM.

The theme of movies today on TCM seems to be The End of The World.

At age 70, I don't think I want to dwell on this topic today.

So I switch over to some of the news channels, and the main news today is about an NRA press conference and about how so many of our citizens are being murdered in these modern times, in movie theaters and schools.

So I look around for other movie channels and I see a bunch of zombie, shoot-out, and slasher movies listed.

Not only that, but I received a letter from my local ISP earlier this month saying they are going out of business at the end of December. YIKES!! Do they know something I don't know?? So I had to quickly find another local ISP and I got switched over. So far, it is working and no bombs have hit our town yet, although I'm expecting Russian bombers overhead any time now.

I can't duck and cover anymore, like I learned how to do in school in 1953, because I can duck ok and hit the floor, but then I can't get up again, so I'm lying on the floor yelling, "HELP! I ducked and covered and I can't get up!!!"

I'm glad everyone here is so cheerful. Glad you are all still alive. I hope the Canadians are still alive too, because I was taught in school that the Russian bombers would fly over Canada a couple of hours before they reach the US.

:)

we're getting some transmissions from Britain, but the reception is disjointed and indecipherable. what is being seen is pretty gruesome and makes no sense. we're trying to find someone here who can do a take on what we see and tell the audience what's going on there. all in all, it looks like the Apocalypse may be here.

One of my students just said: "Hey, it's already the next day in New Zealand and THEY're still around. But who really cares about New Zealand, though."

This is the "millennial generation" talking. Young people who supposedly care about one another and the planet.

the intrepid correspondent, Wally Ballou, is reporting that the whole world is operating under a deadly sodium cloud, and it decimates EVERY living thing in 5 days. the sodium cloud was derived from common table salt. it remains to be seen if anyone can survive. this appears to be the uber-cataclysm predicted in the Mayan calendar.

FredCDobbs wrote:The theme of movies today on TCM seems to be The End of The World.

So I switch over to some of the news channels, and the main news today is about an NRA press conference and about how so many of our citizens are being murdered in these modern times, in movie theaters and schools.

I am commenting on the TCM movie: Panic in the Year Zero. This is truly a *bizarre* movie, intended to be serious but often bordering upon comical or silly or weird or you-name-it. Thankfully, Frankie Avalon never broke out into song, which I was expecting at any time. Instead, he played it straight, always backing up papa Ray Milland with an appropriate rifle.

Speaking of the NRA, it is uncanny that this movie was shown on the same day in which it is holding a press conference intended to (what else?) increase the sale of guns! Presaging this event, the writeup of this movie on Wikipedia, in the paragraph on Critical Response (written some time ago) is found the statement:

*"Panic In Year Zero! could have been made as a sales booster for the gun industry."* What incredible timing!

Apart from the movie's emphasis upon guns, I had many good laughs watching Ray Milland out in the low mountains of Los Angeles county, fighting tooth and nail for survival, sweating away and engaged in considerable physical effort -- but always wearing a dress hat. Then there were those scenes in family-living inside a cave, but of course with Milland wearing this nice dress hat. One must not come hatless to dinner in a cave -- they didn't show him in the men's room, however. But he surely wore his hat. It is essential, in accordance with Hollywood standards, to be adequately dressed, and of course to have the proper hairdo, no matter what the endeavor.

I suppose that this picture could not have been made if Milland were to be improperly dressed for the part. Strangely, however, he was not wearing a tie, which would have gone so nicely with this beautiful dress hat. Also strangely, the other sundry male characters, well outfitted with guns, did not wear hats. This surely was an oversight. Or perhaps Milland was just grabbing attention as the star of this incredible production.

I would not have missed this movie for anything! Good comedies are very rare.

musikone

>Speaking of the NRA, it is uncanny that this movie was shown on the same day in which it is holding a press conference intended to (what else?) increase the sale of guns! Presaging this event, the writeup of this movie on Wikipedia, in the paragraph on Critical Response (written some time ago) is found the statement:

>

>"Panic In Year Zero! could have been made as a sales booster for the gun industry." What incredible timing!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I watched the NRA press conference, then I saw some of Ray Milland and Frankie Avalon robbing stores with guns and shooting people with guns, and that scene at the end where Milland shouts "Where did you get the machine gun???" Then he found out it was the military. That was danged weird. So today I'm wondering, which is the News and which is the Movie??

What I loved about The World, The Flesh, and The Devil was that Ferrer was always dressed as if he were going to work on Wall Street as soon as he could catch the train.

And given the closing scene, I have to wonder how that movie played in the South of 1959. Probably went over a bit better in the balcony seats than in the seats below. B-)

One o the best end of the world movies this year was on NGC, "Evecuate Earth" (2012). The Earth and Saturn was destroyed by a rogue wandering neutron star. 250,000 people were saved by traveling to Bernards Star on a space ark 2 X 15 miles in diameter powered by the Orion propulion system (detonating nukes behind it)

Very original. Very good SPXs.

nationalgeographicevacu.jpg

a41fdcf0ba959fa44ed722059b02abcf.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings