Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pining for films

slaytonf

Like the well-known Norwegian Blue, I've been pining for some movies not seen long since on TCM. Unlike it, I'm not nailed to my perch. Why anything would be nailed to a fish---

Some of these films shyly showed their faces once in the hoary past, and quickly ducked away back into the halls of cinema, some were familiar friends that dropped by a number of times, but have grown distant. Now, my memory might not be what it used to be, and maybe it never was, so some of these movies may never have been shown on TCM, in which case, they would be premieres:

*Comanche Station* (Randolph Scott, Bud Boetticher, dir.)

*Danger Lights* (Jean Arthur with silent film eyebrows)

*Destry Rides Again*

*Funny Face* (Stanley Donen at his best)

*La Guerre Est Finie* (decent Alan Resnias, with Yves Montand, Ingrid Thulin, and a very young Genevieve Bujold)

*Lovers Courageous*

*Machine Gun McCain* (bad people come to bad ends, sometimes not so bad people, too)

*Seven Men From Now* (the best of the Scott/Boetticher westerns, terrific Lee Marvin)

*Tommy* (you can't beat those beans)

*Their Own Desire*

*The Spoilers* (John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich, Randolph Scott--who plays a heavy!--all this and Richard Barthelmess, too!)

*The Killing* (early Kubrick noir, Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray. Nikki Arcane rules)

*The Day the Earth Stood Still* (good luck getting that again!)

*The Dark Horse* (aw, my recorder kicked out before the end)

*Start the Revolution Without Me* (who would think the Reign of Terror could be funny?)

*Laura* (good luck on that one, too)

*Barbarella* (you know, there were some deep philosophical themes addressed in that movie, as soon as I find one, I'll let you know)

*What's New Pussycat?* (a wacky sixties comedy that's actually funny--it still ends in a chase, though)

*The Umbrellas of Cherbourg* (charming sad-sweet-sad movie with Michel Legrand music)

*The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie* (Maggie Smith in her prime)

It is my understanding that: *If I Were King* (1938) was aired by TCM in the dim and distant past. I am waiting with bated breath for it to be scheduled and the minnow in my mouth is becoming quite icky..

Ronald Colman, Basil Rathbone, Frances Dee and Sidney Toler.

Written by Preston Sturges and directed by Frank Lloyd.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings