Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GOOD WILL TO ALL

misswonderly3

I don't usually do this-post this kind of thread -because sometimes it can be viewed as unseemly and attention-getting. But I don't mean it that way...

Oh, what the frig ! Why should I apologize?

Merry Christmas everybody, Happy Holidays ! However, Whenever, and even IF ever you celebrate this time of year, I hope you all enjoy it, get a lot of rest, fun, great food. beautiful music, and happy times. Oh, and catch some good movies, whether on TCM, DVD, or (gasp !) at the movie theatre.

Everyone, have a fabulous New Year's Eve, whatever is your tradition on that night. And have a wonderful new year. 2013 ( pronounced, please, "twenty-thirteen", as opposed to "two thousand and thirteen" - I mean, we're well into this century now, right? But I digress.)

Let's all have a great holiday, and start the new year with good will towards all. There's nothing funny about a little peace, love, and understanding !

> I've never had it and won't because I don't eat meat

Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."

Dr. Aragon: {chuckling} Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.

Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?

Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.

Dr. Melik: Incredible.

;-)

Well, I hate tofu, so I don't imagine I'd be too crazy about seitan. (I looked it up and by the description I read, it sounds in some ways similar to the soy concentrate product.)

As for poutine, at first I was confused at the reference to meat in it. It's not a meat product, it's basically glorified chips -or French fries - with cheese melted on it. But then, it usually has gravy slathered over it too, hence the meat aspect, I suppose.

Anyway, discussions of food, Christmas, holiday, meat-eater, or vegetarian, are always welcome, here or on any thread, as far as I'm concerned.

I did also want, in my goody-goody Pollyannish way, to encourage everyone ( myself included) to think about good will towards our fellow human beings ( yeah, I know, corny and predictable, especially at this time of year), and maybe we could all make a new start in twenty-thirteen to try and listen better, empathize more, and Oh, what the hell, boys and girls, all get along better in the new year.

A new year - hey, the world didn't end ! Dang, what am I going to do with all that frozen poutine I'd been stocking? A new year, a new start, blahblah. In the immortal words of Nick Lowe: "What's so funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding?"

Well I hope your knee gets better VP. My brother in law had that surgery earier this year. As of now, you wouldn't know he was ever ailing. So you've THAT to look forward to.

And I thought "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding" was ELVIS COSTELLO. Maybe HIS was a cover?

VP, you also reminded me of one of my favorite "FAR SIDE" cartoons: A fence surrounding several lifeless looking BLOBS with feathers and beaks prodtruding from them and a sign on the fence declaring it the "BONELESS CHICKEN RANCH"!

Sepiatone

And, the happiest of Holiday seasons with you and yours, mw! Thank you for starting this thread. I don't mind at all if it seems food-oriented or not! I haven't heard of Poutine in ages, and while I may not have it directly, I will make cheesy potato hotdish for Christmas day, after the movie. I have to laugh how all my favorite foods seem to break all the rules at the Holiday.. even my healthy carrots need onion dip.

Food, movies, King's College Choir on the radio and loved ones close by.. I am content.

"...after the movie..."...Which movie, Charlotte baby? Do you have a special Christmas film that you watch with your family Christmas day? Or did you mean whatever they're showing on TCM? Forget what, at the moment -Hey, never mind, I just checked. Looks like old Andy Hardy rules the Christmas roost on December 25th this year. Well, he certainly is wholesome and family-ish. Why not?

Sepitatone, Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello worked closely together on many music projects in the late 70s and early 80s. NIck is an gifted, under-rated song-writer. He has a great sense of humour, and this comes through in his songs.

Yes, the more well-known version of that great song, *What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding?* is Elvis Costello's. And it is actually the better version, although Nick's is good too. I wanted to post it here, but couldn't find a studio version on youtube. And that's the best one.

Happy Hollydaze and Seasoned Greasings to all!

I haven't had poutine, but would probably like it. I like gravy on my american fries, and I like chili fries.

On Christmas day, I'm going out to dinner with a couple of friends. Then, we will return to my house, to watch films I've been saving for the occasion. These will include *We're No Angels*, *Carol for Another Christmas*, and The Dr. Who Christmas Show.

I'm sorrry, misswonderly, but that song makes me retch. ( *Imagine* does, too.) Lennon was a philosophical na?f, and the children's choir reached Margaret O'Brien levels of cloying irritant.

(I'll probably get in trouble for having said I don't care much for Margaret O'Brien's movies, either.)

Chips with gravy? My gag reflex is working overtime. I don't remember that

being a school meal, thank goodness. I do remember those little undercooked

rectangular pizzas with the cheese floating in little circles on top of the sauce.

It's really hard to ruin pizza. I might make up a big mess of spaghetti with

lots of sauce and Parmesan cheese for Christmas. Yummy.

C'mon now, everybody knows the name of the song is Happy Xmas (War Is Over).

Here's a tune from John's better half, Listen,The Snow Is Falling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO36ZW2eJcY

Stocking stuffer: After the Cowboys came back after being down by two touchdowns,

they lost in OT. Sweet. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings