Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> I just cant figure out why TCM is not showing " Its A Wonderful Life" this Christmas. They Did not show it last year ether. Does anyone know ? please tell me.

Gunner,

For many years (at least 20), NBC has held the exclusive broadcast rights to *It's a Wonderful Life*. As long as NBC holds that exclusivity (at least another three years with an option to renew), no other channel, including TCM, can air the film.

but golly gee.....pop went to alot of trouble putting up the tree.....and gee....I bet if we get all the other kids together, we can put togerther a real swell Christmas show of our own in the old barn.....Golly, it might be good enough to make it Broadway....Golly, Gee, That would be Swell....Come on, what do you say ?

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

> Perhaps the bigger question . . . what does Andy Hardy have to do with Christmas???

>

> Like, all day, man??

>

TCM has decided to put itself on auto pilot and trudge out the Andy Hardy junk. The entire series is nauseating.

Just another instance of very uninspired programming. We've been getting much of that lately.

TCM has decided to put itself on auto pilot and trudge out the Andy Hardy junk. The entire series is nauseating.

Those Andy Hardy movies belong in the same general category as Esther Williams and Elvis Presley: Dated garbage, but obviously enough people still love them that I'm afraid they're going to be with us for a long, long time.

OTOH we've also been getting a month full of Stanwyck, and next month is chock full of noirs and pre-codes, a trio of Hitchcocks that haven't been shown here in ages, to be followed by Lon Chaney's greatest film. So chin up and......

*MERRY CHRISTMAS.*

180px-51Jan.jpg

It could be worse. A better question is why is AMC showing John Wayne Westerns all day? Maybe it's a nice bridge from the classic Christmas movies they've been mangling for the past few days and the Predator and Terminator movies they start showing on Thursday as they resume what they consider "normal programming".

>Those Andy Hardy movies belong in the same general category as Esther Williams and Elvis Presley:

LOL, yes.

One a month, in non prime time, would be ok. But a bunch, all in a row, in prime time?? No thanks.

How about showing all the W.C. Fields and Charlie Chan films in a row?

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Those Andy Hardy movies belong in the same general category as Esther Williams and Elvis Presley:

> LOL, yes.

>

> One a month, in non prime time, would be ok. But a bunch, all in a row, in prime time?? No thanks.

>

> How about showing all the W.C. Fields and Charlie Chan films in a row?

W.C. Fields might be expensive since Universal owns almost all of them, but Fox has been very willing to deal with TCM lately, so the Chans might be a possibility. I think a New Year's eve of nothing but Charlie Chan films starring Warner Oland would be great.

I agree with u it was a bad schedule for Chrisstmas Day. If it were a New Years's day marathon or Inepnedence Day one I would say ok. I would have progamed thses films if iw were me.

Remember the Night(1940

Christmas in Connecticut(1945)

Miracle on 34th Street(1947)

The BIshop's Wife(1947)

Meet Me in St. Louis(1944)

Babes in Toyland(1934)

The Man Who Came To Dinner(1942)

Good Sam(1948)

It's a Wonderful Life(1946)

A Christmas Carol(1938)

Holiday Inn(1942)

White Christmas(1954)

In all fairness....if you get TCM, you get other cable channels....and you must admit that other channels showed Miracle on 34th St to death this year. They also showed White Christams to death. From Thanksgiving to Christmas there wasn't a night that these movies weren't on, sometimes shown 24 hours a day over and over.....Now I don't care how much you may like a certain movie, I don't know how you could watch Miracle on 34th St for over and over and over. How many times can you watch the Santa be drunk ? ......Then there is Christmas Story, Oh Hail Christmas Story. My late mother liked it at first because the old time radio and such reminded her of her youth, BUT, she even got tired of it when it became shown over and over...just as she tired of Wizard Of Oz after the grandchildren would watch it over and over...as good as Wizard Of Oz is, I watched it the other night before Christmas, but when the same channel showed it many times again, no, I will not watch the same movie over and over....Scrooge must have been on 24 hours a day since Thanksgiving on one channel or another in one form or another, God help us everyone.

I did watch some of the Hardy Family stuff last night.....not much....because I must agree with my late step father, Mickey Rooney can be pretty corney.....Now I thought Judy Garland was good, but there was little of her in the parts I watched....It seemed Judy as Betsy was usually crying and in love over Andy who was always in love with another girl. Now I read Mickey was a big star in his day, but I can't get past Mickey not being good enough for Judy crying over him in these. ....anyway, I agreed with my late stepfather and the corn was dripping from the TV.....So I changed the channel.....

but I'm sure there were fans of these movies, now in their 80s or 90s or older who might have really enjoyed a Christmas night with the Hardys, and maybe some people younger ....and Mr Rooney will be on the next TCM cruise or something as per Mr Osbourn....If some people enjoyed these Christmas night, more power to TCM for showing something different than Christmas Story

One thing, it was better than showing the same movie 24 hours in a row as some channels.

and people can make there own list of movies they would show over Christmas, but beauty is in the eye of the list maker....some people would consider the movies on those lists as clunkers, and some movies would have already been shown by every other channel a thousand times since Thanksgiving....I'm sure NBC showing It's A Wonderful Life in prime time Christmas Eve had those movie rights locked up....Here again, channels use to show this one 24 hours in a row and beat it to death in Christmas pasts.....

TCMs holiday movie that I liked and nooo other channel showed...The Great Ruppert.....Jimmy Durante, but the squirrel stole the show just as the gopher steals the movie Chaddie Shack..... because I haven't seen it, because it doesn't get beat to death, I liked the holiday squirrel movie. ...Thank you TCM on that one.

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Dec 26, 2012 10:02 AM

>NBC won the night, ratings wise, on Christmas Eve with their showing of It's a Wonderful Life.

I am glad IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE airs on network television. And NBC should be lauded for its commitment to showing this classic annually. I feel like this movie probably saves more lives than any other, with its anti-suicide message. The holidays are not happy for many people, but this film counters the depression. It should be seen by as wide an audience as possible.

>I just wish that NBC would limit the commercial interruptions to once or twice during the broadcast instead of every few minutes.

I do agree with that statement. It jolts the viewer out of the narrative too often, thereby limiting its effectiveness.

In a perfect situation, it would air on NBC in its present form and as an On Demand selection for those who are willing to pay the devil his due and enjoy it without interruption.

I agree that Andy Hardy is dated. And I agree they're corny movies. I further agree that Andy Hardy doesn't say Christmas cheer to me. But I still LIKE them. BECAUSE they're dated. BECAUSE they're corny. If my chin's on my chest, they lift it up enough to make me CHUCKLE and lighten my mood. It also doesn't hurt that I have a brother-in-law that resembles the young Mickey Rooney. So there's THAT giggle!

Hell, you're talking about TCM!

ALL those "pre-codes", noirs, screwball comedies and post-war dramas are dated! Yes, even STANWYCK'S. ESPECIALLY Stanwyck's. OK, so they're WELL WRITTEN and ACTED and DIRECTED dated movies, but nonetheless. Isn't that why we watch them?

Andy Hardy movies were the '30's-'40's version of today's "family feel good" movies. Going to the theater to see an Andy Hardy flick was the equivalent of going to go see "TIMOTHY GREEN" today. Those Hardy films also might have bored the crap out of many movie goers back THEN as well. My Mother grew up in those times, and once said of Andy Hardy, "To quote Spencer Tracy in that one movie, in MY school we'd eat punks like HIM for breakfast!".

Why, we each try to explain to our detractors, who fail to understand what we see in watching all these "dusty old movies", that to sit down and view them within the context of when they were made, THEY might enjoy them, too.

So, GEE WHIZ! Lay OFF Andy Hardy, willya?

Sepiatone

You're so misguided.

It's called having a healthy dose of reality. Not everyone is comfortable churning out simplistic theories for complex problems and putting rose colored glasses on for pet ideas. Does everyone have to project such naivete?

Because someone may disagree with your thesis does not mean it is bullying.

I think you should check your ego at the door before you accuse people of such henious actions.

The forum does not revolve around you and your thin skinned feelings.

Some of the things you claim, as far as being some type of victim to those who disagree with you, should be against the law.