Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

What stars have you never actually seen?

Noticing a thread on Shirley Temple I wondered if I had ever seen a Shirley Temple movie. Then I remembered that she is in Fort Apache. I wondered if I had ever seen a Tyrone Power movie, and then looking at his filmography I realized that I had seen him in Marie Antoinette earlier this year.

I haven't seen a Ronald Reagan movie until a few year ago when I saw That Hagen Girl, (With Shirley Temple.) After that I've seen Bedtime For Bonzo and Kings Row.

I don't think I've seen a Sonny Tufts film.

I've never seen any Peewee Herman films. He has the appeal of chalk against a blackboard.

Never seen 50 cents because the movies are of lesser value,

If there ever were a time for steep slopes and failed brakes.

pee-wees-big-adventure-1985-paul-reubens

I tried to find someone who was big enough to have gotten a SUTS day, otherwise, there are a zillion actors I'm sure I've never seen. Took some work. Finally decided I'd never seen a Ramon Navarro movie. I've always avoided the silent version of Ben-Hur, and Crisis is just about the only Cary Grant movie I've never seen.

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Deanna Durbin movie.

You're missing some wonderful films.

28 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I really can't think of any star of note who I haven't seen at least one movie appearance of.

I take that back...I haven't seen a Sonja Henie movie.

On 12/23/2012 at 7:49 PM, hamradio said:

I've never seen any Peewee Herman films. He has the appeal of chalk against a blackboard.

Have to grit your teeth and see the "Big Adventure", if only for When Tim Burton Was Still Tim Burton, and to hear Danny Elfman's Nino Rota/Fellini tribute on the score.  Not so much for the actor.

Failing that, there's the old 80's HBO Comedy special, which actually had some point to its 50's-kid-TV satire, that flew over the heads of kids in the 80's Saturday-morning show.  Then you can skip the rest.

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I want to watch one Sonja Henie movie, but I somehow never watch the essential first-movies when I want to see a star, so I tried waiting for My Lucky Star (1938) to resurface on Netflix/Amazon first.  I may have a long wait.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've seen them all. She's truly Eleanor Powell on ice skates!

Not much of an actress, but her leading men carry the weight and they're all so good looking from 20th Century Fox.

They were usually:

Tyrone Power

Don Ameche or

John Payne.

Her two best movies were: her first one called " One in A Million" about, you guessed it, an Olympic  aspiring skater with Ameche

And the well-known " Sun Valley Serenade" with Payne and Glenn Miller and his Orchestra. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I, as a big fan of Golden Age films has seen almost all of the stars. The only exception that I really haven't seen are The Ross sisters which I only saw in a clip on "That's entertainment". Their acrobatic skills, and flexibility skills were amazing, and except that clip, have never seen any films they were in. But I did hear that it wasn't that many and for some reason, never made it that big at all.

Ooh, Mary Pickford. I can probably add her to my list with Roman Navarro. I'm reading a plot description of Coquette on imdb, and even though it aired on TCM as recently as February of this year, it's not creating any sparks in my memory banks. Maybe I've seen the first few minutes of it, but I certainly haven't watched it all the way through.

TCM showed Second Fiddle during 31 Days in 2012. If not for that, I never would have seen a Sonja Henie movie.

I've never seen the eponymous star of 1950's Harvey...

(unless you count that big 'ole portrait Mr Stewart was lugging around)

;)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I've seen them all. She's truly Eleanor Powell on ice skates!

Not much of an actress, but her leading men carry the weight and they're all so good looking from 20th Century Fox.

They were usually:

Tyrone Power

Don Ameche or

John Payne.

Her two best movies were: her first one called " One in A Million" about, you guessed it, an Olympic  aspiring skater with Ameche

And the well-known " Sun Valley Serenade" with Payne and Glenn Miller and his Orchestra. 

Yes, SUN VALLEY SERENADE is great. I also like her lesser known ones, too. Such as WINTERTIME (the last film she did for Fox) where S.Z. Sakall plays her uncle, they're uproarious together. And a freelance assignment after she left Fox, IT'S A PLEASURE, which is her only Technicolor picture. In addition to her skating, it has some good ice hockey scenes.

45 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ooh, Mary Pickford. I can probably add her to my list with Roman Navarro. I'm reading a plot description of Coquette on imdb, and even though it aired on TCM as recently as February of this year, it's not creating any sparks in my memory banks. Maybe I've seen the first few minutes of it, but I certainly haven't watched it all the way through.

TCM showed Second Fiddle during 31 Days in 2012. If not for that, I never would have seen a Sonja Henie movie.

COQUETTE is not a good Pickford film to start with. Most critics think she received a consolation Oscar, though her performance is not bad. But it's very creaky by modern standards and VERY melodramatic (unintentionally funny in spots). Stick with her more highly regarded silent classics.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

COQUETTE is not a good Pickford film to start with. Most critics think she received a consolation Oscar, though her performance is not bad. But it's very creaky by modern standards and VERY melodramatic (unintentionally funny in spots). Stick with her more highly regarded silent classics.

I second this recommendation wholeheartedly. Coquette was the first Pickford movie I ever watched, and I didn't bother checking out another for a couple of decades. The silents that I've seen were much better.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I second this recommendation wholeheartedly. Coquette was the first Pickford movie I ever watched, and I didn't bother checking out another for a couple of decades. The silents that I've seen were much better.

Yes, there's a reason she didn't really transition into the sound era. She wisely switched from acting to producing. Her performance style was outdated by 1930, but it was perfectly suited to the silent era.

Then we have someone like Lillian Gish whose style was timeless.

Basically any of the silent stars (except Laurel/Hardy & Chaplin). I am not the biggest fan of silent film. I appreciate it for what it was (a type of artform) and for blazing the way to what motion pictures are today (and by "today," I mean anything besides those damn Michael Bay Transformer movies). 

• Edward G. Robinson
  • Alice Faye 
  • James Dean
  • Jean Arthur 
  • Sidney Poitier 
  • James Cagney 
  • Ruby Keeler 
  • Laurence Olivier 

These are the only ones I can think of right now...

20 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

• Edward G. Robinson
  • I'd recommend Double Indemnity, Scarlet Street and Woman in the Window to start with.
  • Alice Faye 
  • All I've seen are In Old Chicago and Alexander's Ragtime Band
  • James Dean
  • I'm not a fan, but since there are only three movies he starred in, take your pick.
  • Jean Arthur 
  • Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, The Devil and Miss Jones, The More the Merrier
  • Sidney Poitier 
  • In the Heat of the Night, No Way Out, The Defiant Ones
  • James Cagney 
  • The Public Enemy, Angels With Dirty Faces, The Roaring Twenties, Yankee Doodle Dandy
  • Ruby Keeler 
  • 42 Street, Gold Diggers of 1933, Footlight Parade

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I have never seen Angelina Jolie in a movie.

Girl InterruptedThe Good ShepherdA Mighty HeartChangeling are all worth a look.