Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
skimpole

What stars have you never actually seen?

12 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Ronald Colman and Charles Boyer are the only two actors whose movies I have never, ever watched, not one between them.

Gaslight (1944) & Random Harvest (1942) are suggested to rectify this situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, limey said:

Gaslight (1944) & Random Harvest (1942) are suggested to rectify this situation.

In addition to limey's great suggestions here Beth, I'd like to add the films Love Affair (1939) & Hold Back the Dawn (1941) in the case of Boyer, and The Tale of Two Cities (1935) & The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) in the case of Colman.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, limey said:

Also, can't go far in discussing Charles Boyer without Algiers (1938), the reason why everyone else (including cartoon skunks) imitated Boyer for generations.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:15 PM, LawrenceA said:

Deleted

Well talk about Hollywood appropriating French movies.

If you don't know who Jean Gabin is-- well let's just say,  he's probably the greatest French film actor of the first half of the 20th century. He originated the role of Pépé Le Moko and you can say that Charles Boyer copied him completely.

So really everybody is just copying Jean Gabin.  Gabin's other signature role was in Le Quai de la Brume, Port of Shadows, co-starring Michelle Morgan.  My personal favorite is Renoir's La Grande illusion.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Also, can't go far in discussing Charles Boyer without Algiers (1938), the reason why everyone else (including cartoon skunks) imitated Boyer for generations.

And this is the quoted post that is supposed to go with my comment above.

30 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well talk about Hollywood appropriating French movies.

If you don't know who Jean Gabin is-- well let's just say,  he's probably the greatest French film actor of the first half of the 20th century. He originated the role of Pépé Le Moko and you can say that Charles Boyer copied him completely.

So really everybody is just copying Jean Gabin.  Gabin's other signature role was in Le Quai de la Brume, Port of Shadows, co-starring Michelle Morgan.  My personal favorite is Renoir's La Grande illusion.

It's been a while since I've viewed it, but Algiers did manage to stand on it's own as a piece of atmospheric entertainment. I watched it first, before I later saw Pépé Le Moko & realized the connected lineage. Apparently, when Wanger purchased the rights to remake Pépé, he also brought up the available USA prints of the original to prevent it competing with the remake.

La Grande illusion is long, but superb - definitely worthy of repeated viewings.

• Like 1

I have not seen much of Betty Davis, the one very well known Golden age star I haven't gotten into the films of. I've seen the films of just about every other big name back then.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:47 PM, LawrenceA said:

James Cagney was also great in White heat, with his famous "I made it ma! Top of the world!"

Ruby Keeler was fabulous in Dames, I loved her in the number "I only have eyes for you".

On 2017-11-07 at 1:09 AM, speedracer5 said:

Looking over a list of Hollywood's Golden Age stars (it's hard for me to just think of names off the top of my head), I think I've seen a wide enough variety of films, that it's hard for me to find specific people whom I haven't seen on film before.  If they're primarily silent stars then I haven't seen those, except for a handful.  I'm not the biggest fan of silent films, but have been easing myself into them based on the performer's notoriety.  I've seen Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd as the slapstick comedy films are the easiest to watch and follow what's going on.  I want to see Louise Brooks and Clara Bow, just to see what they were all about. 

Paul Muni

I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of I Am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang.

25 minutes ago, Allenex said:

I have not seen much of Betty Davis, the one very well known Golden age star I haven't gotten into the films of. I've seen the films of just about every other big name back then.

I recommend The Man Who Came to Dinner for those starting out in the exciting career of watching Bette Davis films, but also recommend Now VoyagerWhatever Happened to Baby Jane and All About Eve just for starters.

• Like 1

I wouldn't exactly call watching BETTE DAVIS movies an "exciting" career.  OR watching movies a "career" at all. :rolleyes:

But as far as that goes, you'd(IMHO) have to add THE PETRIFIED FOREST to your list of recommondations .  You may even suggest going back as far as '34's OF HUMAN BONDAGE, her first real major role, as earlier efforts BAD SISTER and THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD might be harder to find. :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

I recommend The Man Who Came to Dinner for those starting out in the exciting career of watching Bette Davis films, but also recommend Now VoyagerWhatever Happened to Baby Jane and All About Eve just for starters.

Its been a lifelong avocation for me personally. I grew up with the Early Show and The Late Show, so I didn't really have a choice as to what I was going to see. But I was very lucky as one station would do the week of and that was the week I started watching--it was the week of Bette Davis.

Right there and then I was hooked on classic film.  Also I was hooked on her as the diva of all classic film actresses.

My introduction week consisted of the following:

Of Human Bondage with Leslie Howard-- That's how he became my favorite actor right off.

Petrified Forest also with Leslie

Jezebel with Henry Fonda

Dark Victory with George Brent

A Stolen Life with Glenn Ford

And I was just at the age that I was able to go a couple years later to the movie theater and actually see her first run in

"What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" I was in hog heaven.

If I could have started with some kind of a idea in mind, I think I would have liked to start with something like Old Acquaintance, The Great Lie, and The Old Maid.

I don't really advise some of the later films for starters. I think it's better to get an idea as to where her career peaked at before you go on.

However, I know I saw All About Eve before I went to the movie theater to see Baby Jane.

Maybe it's just from my true life experience, but I think Baby Jane is the best and most courageous undertaking in her stellar career.

I know Bette made a lot of bad movies, but I never thought she gave a bad performance.

53 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I wouldn't exactly call watching BETTE DAVIS movies an "exciting" career.  OR watching movies a "career" at all. :rolleyes:

But as far as that goes, you'd(IMHO) have to add THE PETRIFIED FOREST to your list of recommondations .  You may even suggest going back as far as '34's OF HUMAN BONDAGE, her first real major role, as earlier efforts BAD SISTER and THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD might be harder to find. :)

Sepiatone

I was just using a little hyperbole.

Can't think of any classic stars I haven't seen, although the only Deanna Durbin film I've seen is It All Started With Eve.

However, if it's a question of more recent stars, the list would be very long. Overheard in line at a movie a few years back, form one young woman to another: "I cannot wait to see the new Chloe Grace Moretz movie!"

20 hours ago, kingrat said:

Can't think of any classic stars I haven't seen, although the only Deanna Durbin film I've seen is It All Started With Eve.

However, if it's a question of more recent stars, the list would be very long. Overheard in line at a movie a few years back, form one young woman to another: "I cannot wait to see the new Chloe Grace Moretz movie!"

I loved Deanna Durban sing Danny boy and Because

On 2/3/2018 at 9:36 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Right there and then I was hooked on classic film.  Also I was hooked on her as the diva of all classic film actresses.

My introduction week consisted of the following:

Of Human Bondage with Leslie Howard-- That's how he became my favorite actor right off.

Petrified Forest also with Leslie

Jezebel with Henry Fonda

Dark Victory with George Brent

A Stolen Life with Glenn Ford

In the late 1990s, TCM presented what I remember to be an amazingly comprehensive Bette Davis festival.  I'd like to see a list of what was shown, to see if it was as comprehensive as I recall. 

(Like you, Princess, my intro to the classics was via The Early Show and The Late Show. Also The Late Late Show, and, most of all, Million Dollar Movie and Shock Theater. If memory serves, the first Bette Davis movie I remember seeing was The Sisters).

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 10:15 AM, sewhite2000 said:

I tried to find someone who was big enough to have gotten a SUTS day, otherwise, there are a zillion actors I'm sure I've never seen. Took some work. Finally decided I'd never seen a Ramon Navarro movie. I've always avoided the silent version of Ben-Hur, and Crisis is just about the only Cary Grant movie I've never seen.

I thought the silent version of Ben-Hur was more entertsining than the 1959 version, but then I don't like that overblown melodrama anyway.

7 hours ago, Swithin said:

In the late 1990s, TCM presented what I remember to be an amazingly comprehensive Bette Davis festival.  I'd like to see a list of what was shown, to see if it was as comprehensive as I recall. 

(Like you, Princess, my intro to the classics was via The Early Show and The Late Show. Also The Late Late Show, and, most of all, Million Dollar Movie and Shock Theater. If memory serves, the first Bette Davis movie I remember seeing was The Sisters).

Swith--

What Memories you brought back. Every week I had a different favorite classic movie star. 

The Million Dollar Movie was saved for the absolutely best films, and most of them were from MGM. This was the movie that would show Easter Parade on Saturday night and then show Easter Parade on Sunday afternoon. If it was the 4th of July, then it would be Yankee Doodle Dandy.

The Late Show may have been my favorite because that's where they were really showing the Paramount movies-- Claudette Colbert, Carole Lombard, Fred MacMurray and RKO & Columbia too with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.

The Late Late Show was usually Republic, often Judy Canova.

Saturday night was, of course,  Shock Theater, where I saw all of the Universal Classics for the first time.

BTW-- I haven't seen The Sisters; Is it good? LOL

OK, so if this is about "stars" whose MOVIES we haven't seen so therefore meaning having never seen those "stars" as well, I'll have to say.....

I've never seen a BUDDY ROGERS or a TOM MIX movie.  

Sepiatone

A couple of years ago the theater organ society in our area presented a couple of Tom Mix movies. If you get the chance, you'll probably like both Tom and his horse.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:04 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Have to watch them, especially Random Harvest. I have heard really great things about that one.

Random Harvest ripped my heart out. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it. It's definitely quite tragic from certain characters' points of view. 

Just a little side note (this isn't quite related to the thread), I was doing some research, and as it turns out, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, & Bette Davis are the Top 3 actors for whom I've seen the most films: Grant at 21, Hepburn at 16, and Davis at 13. Rita Hayworth comes in 4th place with 11.