Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Osborne cusses

I was looking at 'Babes of Toyland' on my DVR yesterday. During the introduction, Bob said something that sounded like s--tty. I thought he said chitty at first. I rpushed rewind and it was clearly what I thought it was. The s word. My jaw dropped.

Did anyone else catch this ? what do you all think ?

Must've been "shiFty."

I've not seen "Babes," but from the commentary on here, it strikes me that there are some interesting characters in the film.

(And I thought "Babes in Toyland" was the name of an adult novely shop.)

classiccinemafan: Much as I'd like to think you heard correctly, which would underscore my comments in the "Babes in Toyland" thread, where I pointed out some (presumably controversial) theories about the film, I actually think Robert said "shady." However, if you are right, it would underscore my comments because it would show that the murkiness of the film brings low even the gentlemanly Mr. Osborne!

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I believe you could resolve any question of what was said by turning on the *Closed Captioning* when replaying it.

One of the most hilarious ironies of modern life is that closed captioning usually mistranslates unscripted, live or non-preformatted material about as badly as your 95 year old grandma would.

Really, some time in the gym read what the CC does to your local newscast. It's a riot.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

> Really, some time in the gym read what the CC does to your local newscast. It's a riot.

I must use Closed Captioning at home. It is for live broadcasts very much a speech-to-text program which has not been customized to the speakers.

I find it amusing to watch foreign movies which have both subtitles and Closed Captioning. The translations rarely agree. It is also revealing when a character states the 'f' word which is the same in all languages because those who write subtitles and those who create the Closed Captioning often chose different substitutes.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> I know him, and have never heard him say one!

Which reminds me of the story where one guy says,

"There are twenty bars in this town, and I haven't been in one of them."

And the other guy says,

"And which one was that?"

i feel like noting somewhere that Bob introduced Black Widow last night and repeatedly referred to Peggy Ann Garner as Peggy Ann GARDNER (or at least it sounded that way.) It also sounded like he said All About Eve was made nine years before Black Widow, which would mean that Eve came out in 1945.

whatevs, we forgive you.

ps- Black Widow is one that could have used some expletives when discussing.