Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Suggest a New Saturday Series

StolenJones

Charlie Chan. It must be a copyright issue, no?

I seem to remember a few years back that there was some sort of controversy about the way Chan was portrayed - that it offened some Asian people. I haven't seen the films since. Too bad. I love them. I did find a place on line to read some of Earl Derr Biggers' Chan novels though.

The Blondie films would be awesome. People have been requesting those for a long time.

I would also like to see the Ellery Queen films.

Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto would be great too.

If they do run the East Side Kids I hope they can find the last films in the series:

*Mr. Muggs Steps Out*

*Follow the Leader*

*Block Busters*

*Bowery Champs*

*Docks of New York*

*Mr. Muggs Rides Again*

*Come Out Fighting*

None of those have ever aired on TCM as far as I know.

The Michael Shayne detective films would be nice.

Maybe they could air the Frankie Darro/Mantan Moreland films. It would be great if they could find *Laughing at Danger.*

I'll probably be the lone voice here but I would love to see "The Jones Family" films from Fox and the "Henry Aldrich" films from Paramount get a revival.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> I'll probably be the lone voice here but I would love to see "The Jones Family" films from Fox and the "Henry Aldrich" films from Paramount get a revival.

I agree with all your suggestions, but especially these two!

Neither of those series have been shown on TV anywhere for decades!

I'd LOVE to see them on TCM.

Oh good! I wasn't sure anyone would even remember "The Jones Family" films, or really the "Henry Aldrich" films for that matter.

I think it would be great for TCM to reintroduce them to the public.

Maybe a Saturday afternoon (or, perhaps even better, a late Saturday night) “Shock Theater” style program, complete with a cobweb-covered, test-tube-bubbling, dungeon-style laboratory—and a hokey “host”—all reminiscent of the days (the late 1950’s into at least the late 1980’s in some areas of the country—and even into the ‘90s in a handful of other places) when almost every local TV station in the country ran its own “late-night” shocker program—sometimes even a double feature—usually on Friday or Saturday nights.

When I was a kid (oh, so long ago), at 2:00 on Saturday afternoons, the local ABC affiliate near my hometown ran its version of “Shock Theater”, a horror/mystery/sci-fi program, most often featuring an old Universal horror/mystery/sci-fi classic, while occasionally filling in the gaps with some of Universal’s more obscure titles as well—i. e., THE CRIMSON CANARY, THE MAN WHO CRIED WOLF, THE HOUSE OF FEAR (1939, not to be confused with the 1945 Sherlock Holmes entry), MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM, etc.

Around 1973, the station (briefly) expanded this program into a double-bill. Then, that same year, beginning at 11:15 on Saturday nights, they started yet another horror/mystery/sci-fi double bill, calling this one: “Nightmare II” (pretty original, no?). I know...I know. Sounds like “Shock Theater” overkill. But, by today’s standards, these films are pretty tame—and I loved it. And, as I remember, it was a great excuse to gather with friends, turn off the lights (yes, even in the afternoon)—and eat popcorn.

Although the local “Nightmare II” program only lasted about a year, the station’s regular Saturday afternoon “Shock Theater” program—which continued to bounce back and forth from a “single feature” to a “double-feature”, had begun many years earlier, and was extremely popular, boasting a run that lasted from the early 1960’s all the way into the late 1980’s—before eventually being shelved for programming that was thought to be more competitive at the time.

At any rate, I’m not suggesting that TCM take it this far. One entry per Saturday would be enough. Okay...maybe two. Just a thought.

Vampira, where are you when I need you?

Now here's an idea, what about an all "B" weekend day/night. Lot's of great ideas here and I see lot's of suggestions that fit into my idea. I was a kid in the fifties and spent every Saturday afternoon in movie theatres that specialized in 'B" programming. All those Monogram, Republic and Poverty Row, Columbia and the list goes on. I loved it.

I'd like to see something similar to the old AMC's SATURDAY MOVIE PALACE MEMORIES. Maybe even hosted by Bob Dorian himself. Each week coming from an old movie palace somewhere in the country they would show a short subject, cartoon, serial chapter, newsreel, main feature, and coming attractions. The main feature was usually a B picture like the JON HALL/MARIA MONTEZ films. Or, it can be similar to the old MATINEE AT THE BIJOU that made the rounds on PBS STATIONS.

But, I would like to see MORE of the UNIVERSAL, REPUBLIC, AND COLUMBIA SERIALS,

CHARLIE CHAN

MR. MOTO

EAST SIDE KIDS

DEANA DURBIN

UNIVERSAL Horror films

SWORD AND SANDAL films

Action/adventure films

But please, none of the usual TCM bill of fare. No NORTH BY NORTHWEST, CASABLANCA, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, or SINGIN IN THE RAIN.

i'd like to see TCM program the Perry Mason movies series. yes, before Raymond Burr took over the role, there was a movie series. Perry was more of a "Saint" type in the movies and took great latitude with the law, as opposed to the TV Perry, who was straight as they come.

> First, finish the Torchy Blaine series. Glenda Farrell starred in seven of them, but only four are scheduled. Better than nothing, but it'd be nice to see them as a group.

Andy,

All regular TCM programming, Saturday serials, Silent Sundays, TCM Imports, etc is suspended during *31 Days of Oscar* but according to the March schedule that calvin has posted, the Torchy series returns to Saturday mornings in March.

molo14 wrote:

I'll probably be the lone voice here but I would love to see "The Jones Family" films from Fox and the "Henry Aldrich" films from Paramount get a revival

*I agree with all your suggestions, but especially these two!*

*Neither of those series have been shown on TV anywhere for decades!*

*I'd LOVE to see them on TCM.*

At least one of the Jones Family movies has been shown on FMC in the last couple of years or so.

ask and ye shall receive. (see my recent post on the New Saturday Series topic.)

i was looking around and found "Calvinnme's" post listing the majority of the March schedule. lo and behold, TCM will show the Perry Mason series starting with The Case of the Howling Dog (1934) on Sat, March 9 in the 1030 am slot and continuing for the next few weeks in March. nothing has been posted on a message board or released on the site about April programming. i assume TCM will show the complete series.

so, i've had my wish come true. within 24 hrs. amazing!

I'd agree! The Bowery Boys would be terrific for another Saturday Morning Series, but I would

LOVE to see all of the EAST SIDE KIDS movies do a run also, especially the obscure films of theirs

that I haven't seen in over 20 years, i.e. Follow The Leader, Come Out Fighting, Block Busters,

Mr. Muggs Steps Out. Almost impossible to find them on DVD.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}Oh good! I wasn't sure anyone would even remember "The Jones Family" films, or really the "Henry Aldrich" films for that matter.

>

> I think it would be great for TCM to reintroduce them to the public.

I don't know the Jones family, but I'd love to see Henry, Henry Aldrich. I grew up on those and they are partial responsible for making me a movie fan.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}molo14 wrote:

> I'll probably be the lone voice here but I would love to see "The Jones Family" films from Fox and the "Henry Aldrich" films from Paramount get a revival.

> .

> *I agree with all your suggestions, but especially these two!*

> *Neither of those series have been shown on TV anywhere for decades!*

> *I'd LOVE to see them on TCM.*

>

> At least one of the Jones Family movies has been shown on FMC in the last couple of years or so.

You're correct. I was jumping to concussions! (As Leo Gorcey might say!)

The Jones Family series entry LOVE ON A BUDGET (1938) was shown on The Fox Movie Channel on August 26 and Sept. 11, 2008.

But that's the only one, I'm pretty sure.

It would be nice if they or TCM could show more of them.

Archived