Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There's a new Barbara Stanwyck fan

ElectricBarbarella

Up until recently, I never was a "fan" of Barbara Stanwyck. Not that I disliked her, I was just somewhat ambivalent. The only film I associated her with was "Double Indemnity", which I never liked.

Now, however, after seeing so many of her films this month, especially some of the early pre-code, I really enjoy her performances. I also liked hearing what Robert O. said about her..

I look forward to seeing more of her movies.

EB, you're describing me to a T before I got my DVD recorder and really began getting seriously into TCM. Before the Autumn of 2009, I'd seen Double Indemnity, The Lady Eve, Meet John Doe, and a couple of her lesser pre-codes that I'd rented from Netflix.

I'm now up to 64 as soon as These Wilder Years is over, and I can tell you from first hand experience you're in for a treat. There's no better actress who ever graced the silver screen, and if you add men into the mix only Toshiro Mifune and Jean Gabin can compete with Babs at her best.

All that leads me to say that here are the Stanwycks that IMO you simply can't miss:

Night Nurse

The Miracle Woman

So Big

Ladies They Talk About

Baby Face

Internes Can't Take Money (a sleeper)

Stella Dallas

Remember The Night

The Lady Eve

Double Indemnity (Give this one a second chance. It'll grow on you.)

Witness to Murder

Executive Suite

The Violent Men

Walk on the Wild Side

I've left out a few that I'm sure others might add, but those are the ones that I like the best.

Archived