Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you suggest would make TCM better? What movies have you not seen that you wish to see? List here, if you will, and let the world of Turner Classic Movies know.

Sincerely,

Holly

Holly: Ditto on the remarks of the two previous posters. While your enthusiasm for film might be viewed by some as commendable, others might view most of your posts as sophomoric and rather intrusive. I'm afraid I am in the latter group. Rather than open new threads, you need to read what has already been posted. Attempt to do your own research rather than cluttering up this site with most of your "inquiries." I believe we all would agree that 139 posts within an 11 day period is excessive. So far today, (4-16) you have already entered 20 posts, and it is only 8:00 pm. eastern! In addition to google, you may wish to direct your queries to: filmsite.org imdb.com or san.beck.org/MM/MMIndex.html or everwonder.com/david/mistakes.html

Had Holly been a little excessive in posting well that's in the eye of the beholder-everyone has the ability to overlook, not open and read posts by people on the boards-including you who think hollyholt is posting to much. However I do know you are very rude and should think twice about your actions. I remember when I found the TCM website I was thrilled to speak to others who shared my interest. I wanted to share so much. Of course there were times my feelings were hurt but I bucked up and well, I have cried a few times because the things I read just slapped me in the face-it felt like a physical slap in my face but I came back and Hollyholt1986 please don't leave...don't let a few bad apples spoil the website for you..gwtwbooklover

Holly,

I, too, was feeling a bit irritated with the effusiveness and haphazardness of your threads ? but I feel a little sorry about what's happened here and hope you come back.

So ironic, Holly, since I am the very opposite. I seem to think that before initiating some new subject, it must be of earthshaking importance. I?ve been here a few months with a moderate number of posts (as you can see) and have yet to initiate a single thread! But even if less reticent, I would consider it a little showy to initiate a thread on just any thought that came to mind and to do it repeatedly especially if I thought that the same subject matter might have already been initiated elsewhere.

But whether I like your style or not, one thing has to be admitted. The threads that you have initiated have illicited quite a few responses.

I just figured holly was a little enthusiastic because she found her soulmates at this board. I do hope you come back because I do enjoy your excitement about classics, even if you have started threads already on here. And you too, Mary Lou. Come back. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings either.

Now that there's a whole topic about it, I'll speak-up:

I feel sorry for Holly, 'cos although some people, sometimes myself included (I have to admit), might have felt a little bit annoyed by the abundance of her posts, especially of "question" posts, and perhaps by her extreme "enthusiasm"...we've got to think that she's under 20 years old, a youngster, we cannot ask her to behave like a person who's already 30 and up, like many of us.

I think that maybe if internet & Personal Computers had existed when I was lad and I had found such a place like TCM Boards, I might have been regarded as Holly was, by some, because if you're young and like classic films, you usually do not have friends of your own age to chat about this particular subject. On the very contrary, for example I had to talk (& learn) about old films & stars with my parents and grandparents.

So, we all have to try to be more "empathic" and put ourselves in Holly's "shoes"; to be more tolerant and patient towards her and her huge enthusiasm...'cos is also our "task" that this love for the classics shall no die with us, because it has to continue with the generations to come and Holly and some other youngsters who visit the Boards, are the future. If there wasn't any interest in Classic Cinema among youngsters, then all this would "die" someday, and we don't want that. Let's encourage the love for classics among the Young People.

There is room for everybody, respect for everyone, for all ages...for all kinds of threads.

I wish you'd come back Holly.

I agree, Fernando.

Holly is, I assume, very young and obviously very passionate about old movies. And Errol Flynn, who still leaves me cold. And it's a good thing that someone young is still passionate about old movies. I'm sure if there was an Internet in 1964, I would have been annoying someone somewhere with my crush on Robert Fuller!:)

But, and this is by means a comparison to you, Holly, we here put up with the idiot Leo, who can't spell and who is no real fan of old movies, so why not have some tolerance for Holly? At least she can spell. That's more than the idiot Leo can do.

Come back, Holly. Please.

I noticed that the people wh crapped all over Holly were people who are new or hardly ever heard from. I found their comments rude and just MEAN! I was very excited when I found this site, but I'm more of a reader and Holly is obviously more of a writer. I enjoyed her questions and threads even though they're were lots of them! Its exciting to discover something new and then a whole bunch of smart like-minded poeple to talk about it with. I've learned a lot from many of you. Thank you.

Holly-please come back. A lot of your questions and topics were good ones. Please don't let those few negative Nellies speak for the rest of us here!!

And you meanies-there plenty of other threads and even other web sites if you are so irritated by someone here that you have to lauch a personal attack.

All of you are quite right. I'm young and I'm enthusiastic sharing my thoughts with other people, since it happens so little with me being not even 20 years-old yet. Well, I could speak to people my age, but they'll only give me stares.

Thanks to all of you who spoke on my behalf, and I promise that the love for old movies won't die with me. Old movies? Nah, just great movies in our past. The greatest movies.

Thanks,

Holly

Holly,

I hope you see this post. Please take this piece of advice from me. I'm old enough to be your grandfather!. First of all ,stay around!Theres no need for you to leave this board. I agree that you sometimes went overboard with your posts,but so what!! I rememember when I was your age that I went overboard a few times myself! Dont apologize for your love of old movies. May I suggest you hold it down a bit and most importantly,keep posting!

Ken.

I'm glad that so many of you responded positively in contrast to the negative reponses first posted here. I'm new to these forums myself. In fact, I only found them this weekend.

I was a fan of classic movies at Holly's age. Fortunately I had a sister and a close friend who shared my love and enthusiasm. Good thing, since there wasn't anything like this available in the dinosaur era (early 70's). We lived in New Orleans at the time, so we even had occasional access to some big screen showings of classic films. That was great.

Since I found these forums, (in the wee hours of the morning on Friday) I can hardly tear myself away from them. I often have problems with insomnia. Now I know there's a place on the internet that I can go to pass the time without disturbing my husband's sleep.

I may get to be a nuisance myself. Who knows what a sleep-deprived grandmother is likely to come up with while the rest of the world sleeps!! Just thought I'd give a warning so any of my posts could be skipped by the squeamish.

Glad to know so many of you who share a love and enthusiasm for classic films are so understanding!! Keep up the good work. And Holly, you hang in there!!

Hello all,

I never suggested that Holly leave the boards, or even stop posting completely, only that she take a break from starting any new threads for a while. I feel it is better to search the forums and revive an older discussion (as many topics have already been initiated) than to start many new ones. But that's just me.

Thanks.

Holly - You go right on posting as often as you wish, after all this is a Forum - others do not have to read what you post if they don't want to and you don't have to read what they post if you don't want to.

People who tell you to stop posting or to take a break or what ever are giving their opinion, you can take it or leave it as you wish, as they can with anything you may wish to post.

Bob

Well, hillspan, unless someone is a troll like leo, we leave the board moderation up to TCM. If they have no problem with many topics, then neither do we.

We here don't like taking direction from other posters. Okay, we meaning me.

I think I speak for holly on this as well (correct me if I'm wrong, holly). When someone else is put in charge of this board other than TCM, then maybe we'll listen. Until then, we'll do as we like, within reason, with attention to board rules and 'netiquette', and with an eye towards the fact that this board originated (last I looked) in America.

Where we don't like being told what to do. Okay, we meaning me.:)

or anyone would care,but I have no problem with Holly's threads.

I've answered some, and can see that she is enthusiastic, even if in ways not to everyone's taste.

I remember as a youngster, knowing of Errol Flynn and his reputation as a screen legend more via word of mouth rather than in films, and seeing him in one of his later films like "Too Much Tooi Soon" perhaps, looking like a dissipated wreck, I was quizzing my mother as to how anyone could have found this man appealing, romantic or attractive.

I had my mom there to simply answer my question, and not make me look foolish for not knowing about his whole life, and how he ended up the way he was with Beverly Aadland, and that I needed to see Flynn in his heyday, to understand his famous film persona.

So one will always encounter film fans of varying degrees of knowledge about their subject matter, varying degrees of exposure to films, and I think all have their place in the pantheon.

Not to be rude to those who did give heartfelt admonitions, as they may have felf some displeasure in things they saw as intrusive. As long though, as there is no limit to how many posts are possible daily, I see no reason to self-contain anyone's enthusiasm that is not in the least mean spirited, since there is no post rationing en toto, that would preclude other interesting posts from being made daily.

Being that I personally don't like being directed by anyone other than a licensed person, to not post things that I might find interesting...I see no reason to direct anyone else here. The day that someone tells me that my posts on Dan Tobin [the film world's greatest right hand man] should be curtailed due to not being proper TCM fodder due to him being a bit less famous than Cary Grant, is the day I would head for the Grampian Hills too, like Holly may have done.

I hope you come back, Holly!

Shouldn't film fans of all ages and expertise, be welcome here?

This is just my personal opinion, so I mean no offense to anyone.

Gosh, are we the quintessential old grumpy people shooing the kids off our lawn? If you weren't interested in her posts, you shouldn't have read them. Hey Holly- feel free to change your mind and come back- remember the movie The Women? Don't let your pride get in the way! : )

Dear Holly,

When I was a teen and fell in love with old movies, there was no TCM (although I was watching Ted Turner's Channel 17 in Atlanta--definitely its ancestor) and no Internet, so I put an ad for a movie pen pal in a "nostalgia" magazine (as they called them then -- partial reprints of Liberty magazine that were coming out with new advertisements in the 1970s).

Within about two months I had received about 90 letters, mostly from youngsters like myself who were crazy about the classics. I had to start pairing off people with like interests and deciding whom to keep writing, but I initially answered every one.

After about a year I had maybe 20 regular pen pals, and I'd sit down at my little white desk and write each one as soon as I could after getting the letters. Now 30 years have passed, and I'm sad to say that I haven't remained in touch with a one. I always wonder if any of them still love movies as much as they did then...

Quite the opposite, shainabluegirl. Except for the original two (three?) complainers, I believe everyone else has gone out of their way to counter the complainers (whom I am not even sure qualified as 'old') and welcome Holly to the board.

The only one I've shoo'ed is the troll leo. Shoo, leo.:)

Hey Holly, I am in the same boat as you. I am 22 (well in a month) and most of my age group aren't really that in to old movies so I had no one really to talk about them with, at least until recently. Now I have met a few classic movie fans and gotten a few friends into them. But I am still the biggest film fan with the most knowledge about classics, so I love coming to site and seeing what people who no more then me have to say.

And like everyone else has said don't worry about the negative posts. Forums are funny things. Because they are anonymous and because there are no verbal or visual signals in communication people tend to come out harsher then they should