Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Tomorrow on TCM

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}One thing I am trying to accomplish with this daily thread is that there is always something good on TCM. Some forum posters complain that TCM plays a lot of the same titles over and over. But if you analyze the schedule, it is clear that there is a lot of variety, occasional premieres, and really something for everyone in terms of artists and genres.

And there are also alot of the same titles being played over and over as your "airs again on" shows. Why don't you also add "aired last on"? I bet that would add more amunition to the "complainers'" complaints.

Better Grant films? The ones listed are some of my favorites (other than Lonely Heart and Monkey Business).

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jan 17, 2013 6:16 PM

Great feedback.

I include the 'airs again' blurbs in case someone's DVR fouled up, or they were not at home to watch something and want to know if it will be replayed on TCM in the near future.

I am not interested in adding fuel to that fire known as the complaint department.

*SATURDAY January 19, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

1aa.png

DAYTIME: B-FILMS

6:00 a.m. Fast and Furious (1939)..Franchot Tone, Ann Sothern, Ruth Hussey

7:30 a.m. The Phantom of Crestwood (1932)..Ricardo Cortez, Karen Morley, Anita Louise

9:00 a.m. They Met in Bombay (1941)..Clark Gable, Rosalind Russell, Peter Lorre

10:45 a.m. Smashing The Money Ring (1939)..Ronald Reagan, Margot Stevenson, Eddie Foy Jr.

12:00 p.m. Blondes at Work (1938)..Glenda Farrell, Barton MacLane, Tom Kennedy

1:15 p.m. Sahara (1943)..Humphrey Bogart, Bruce Bennett, J. Carrol Naish. Airs again on February 23 & April 6

3:00 p.m. Moby Dick (1956)..Gregory Peck, Richard Basehart, Leo Genn

5 p.m. Quo Vadis (1951)..Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, Leo Genn. Airs again on February 17

images-2161.jpg

PRIMETIME: SHELLEY WINTERS

8:00 p.m. Lolita (1962)..James Mason, Sue Lyon, Shelley Winters. Airs again on February 6

10:45 p.m. The Big Knife (1955)..Jack Palance, Ida Lupino, Wendell Corey

12:45 a.m. The Chapman Report (1962)..Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Shelley Winters, Jane Fonda

3:00 a.m. I Died a Thousand Times (1955)..Jack Palance, Shelley Winters, Lori Nelson

*SUNDAY January 20, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

images197.jpg

DAYTIME: DANNY KAYE'S BIRTHDAY

7:00 a.m. Up In Arms (1944)..Danny Kaye, Dinah Shore, Dana Andrews

8:45 a.m. Merry Andrew (1958)..Danny Kaye, Pier Angeli, Baccaloni

12:00 p.m. The Kid From Brooklyn (1946)..Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, Vera-Ellen

2:00 p.m. The Inspector General (1949)..Danny Kaye, Walter Slezak, Barbara Bates

4:00 p.m. Me and The Colonel (1958)..Danny Kaye, Curt Jurgens, Nicole Maurey

images-2163.jpg

PRIMETIME: DANNY KAYE'S BIRTHDAY

6:00 p.m. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty..(1947)..Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, Boris Karloff

8:00 p.m. Hans Christian Anderson (1952)..Danny Kaye, Farley Granger, Jeanmaire

10:00 p.m. The Court Jester (1956)..Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone

12:00 a.m. A Song Is Born (1948)..Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, Benny Goodman

2:00 a.m. Wonder Man (1945)..Danny Kaye, Virginia Mayo, Vera-Ellen

4:00 a.m. The Man From the Diner's Club (1963)..Danny Kaye, Cara Williams, Martha Hyer

6:00 a.m. Fast and Furious (1939)..Franchot Tone, Ann Sothern, Ruth Hussey

7:30 a.m. The Phantom of Crestwood (1932)..Ricardo Cortez, Karen Morley, Anita Louise

9:00 a.m. They Met in Bombay (1941)..Clark Gable, Rosalind Russell, Peter Lorre

10:45 a.m. Smashing The Money Ring (1939)..Ronald Reagan, Margot Stevenson, Eddie Foy Jr.

12:00 p.m. Blondes at Work (1938)..Glenda Farrell, Barton MacLane, Tom Kennedy

Topbilled<

FAST AND FURIOUS is a programmer, and therefore, not a B film. THEY MET IN BOMBAY is a definite A.

*MONDAY January 21, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

images-919.jpg

DAYTIME: SIDNEY POITIER

6:00 a.m. No Way Out (1950)..Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell, Stephen McNally. Airs again on February 9 & April 13

8:00 a.m. Blackboard Jungle (1955)..Glenn Ford, Anne Francis, Louis Calhern. Airs again on April 19

9:45 a.m. Something of Value (1957)..Rock Hudson, Dana Wynter, Sidney Poitier

11:45 a.m. Edge of the City (1957)..John Cassavetes, Sidney Poitier, Jack Warden. Airs again on March 28

1:15 p.m. A Raisin in the Sun (1961)..Sidney Poitier, Claudia McNeil, Ruby Dee

3:30 p.m. A Patch of Blue (1965)..Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters, Elizabeth Hartman. Airs again on February 17

5:30 p.m. To Sir With Love (1967)..Sidney Poitier, Christian Roberts, Judy Geeson. Airs again on April 14

1dickv.png

PRIMETIME: DICK VAN DYKE

8:00 p.m. Divorce American Style (1967)..Dick Van Dyke, Debbie Reynolds, Jason Robards Jr. Airs again on January 31 & February 25

10:00 p.m. Cold Turkey (1971)..Dick Van Dyke, Pippa Scott, Tom Poston

12:00 a.m. Fitzwilly (1967)..Dick Van Dyke, Barbara Feldon, Edith Evans

2:00 a.m. Bye Bye Birdie (1963)..Dick Van Dyke, Janet Leigh, Ann-Margret. Airs again on February 23

4:00 a.m. Some Kind of Nut (1969)..Dick Van Dyke, Angie Dickinson, Rosemary Forsyth

*TUESDAY January 22, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

images-2165.jpg

DAYTIME: SPOUSES WITH SECRETS

6:00 a.m. Cast a Dark Shadow (1955)..Dirk Bogarde, Margaret Lockwood, Kay Walsh

7:30 a.m. Gaslight (1944)..Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotten

9:30 a.m. The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947)..Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck, Alexis Smith

11:30 a.m. Autumn Leaves (1956)..Joan Crawford, Cliff Robertson, Vera Miles

1:30 p.m. Undercurrent (1946)..Robert Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Robert Mitchum

3:30 p.m. Experiment Perilous (1944)..Hedy Lamarr, George Brent, Paul Lukas

5:15 p.m. Rebecca (1940)..Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders. Airs again on February 14 & April 17

images-3130.jpg

PRIMETIME: GREAT CAPERS

8:00 p.m. How To Steal A Million (1968)..Audrey Hepburn, Peter O?Toole, Eli Wallach

10:15 p.m. Topkapi (1964)..Melina Mercouri, Peter Ustinov, Maximilian Schell. Airs again on March 3

12:30 a.m. Happy Thieves (1961)..Rex Harrison, Rita Hayworth, Joseph Wiseman

2:15 a.m. Cairo (1963)..George Sanders, Richard Johnson, Faten Hamama

4:00 a.m. Anderson Tapes (1971)..Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon, Martin Balsam

*WEDNESDAY January 23, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

images-826.jpg

DAYTIME: HORROR BY ROBERT WISE

6:00 a.m. The Split (1968)..Jim Brown, Diahann Carroll, Ernest Borgnine

7:30 a.m. The Sadist (1963)..Arch Hall Jr., Helen Hovey, Richard Alden. Airs again on March 8

9:15 a.m. The Terror (1963)..Boris Karloff, Jack Nicholson, Sandra Knight

10:45 a.m. The Reptile (1966)..Noel Willman, Jennifer Daniel, Ray Barrett

12:30 p.m. The Nanny (1965)..Bette Davis, Wendy Craig, Jill Bennett

2:15 p.m. The Mummy (1959)..Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Yvonne Furneaux

4:45 p.m. The Body Snatcher (1945)..Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Henry Daniell

6:00 p.m. The Haunting (1963)..Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson

1loretta5.png

PRIMETIME: STAR OF THE MONTH LORETTA YOUNG

8:00 p.m. The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940)..Loretta Young, Ray Milland, Reginald Gardiner

9:45 p.m. Bedtime Story (1941)..Fredric March, Loretta Young, Robert Benchley

11:15 p.m. Wife, Husband, and Friend (1939)..Loretta Young, Warner Baxter, Binnie Barnes

12:45 a.m. A Night To Remember (1942)..Loretta Young, Brian Aherne, Jeff Donnell

2:30 a.m. Weekend Marriage (1932)..Loretta Young, Norman Foster, Aline MacMahon

3:45 a.m. Grand Slam (1933)..Paul Lukas, Loretta Young, Frank McHugh

*The Reptile* is one of the more effective Hammer horrors. Interesting, creepy story. There is quite a moving moment in the film, when the reptile girl gets cold. (I find many Hammer films, particularly the remakes of the Universal classics, to be rather stodgy).

>Bedtime Story is my favorite of the Young films tonight.

Interestingly, she did not think too highly of her Columbia comedies. She rather disliked A NIGHT TO REMEMBER with Brian Aherne, but Maltin gives it 3.5 stars (out of 4). I think she excelled at screwball comedy, although she preferred dramatic roles.

Another one of her comedies, LOVE IS NEWS, with Ty Power and Don Ameche is scheduled soon on the Fox Movie Channel. It's too bad TCM is not airing this comic gem tonight.

But I agree that BEDTIME STORY is probably her most funny film. I love the part where Freddie March calls the hotel suite and tells the guy on the other end of the line that he's a big baboon! It cracks me up every time.

Swithin,

I go back and forth in terms of how much I like and appreciate Hammer horror films. I tend to like the Hammer noir entries a bit better.

*THURSDAY January 24, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

images-2169.jpg

DAYTIME: ERNEST BORGNINE'S BIRTHDAY

6:00 a.m. From Here to Eternity (1953)..Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr. Airs again on February 22

8:15 a.m. Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)..Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Anne Francis. Airs again on February 16

9:45 a.m. The Catered Affair (1956)..Bette Davis, Ernest Borgnine, Debbie Reynolds

11:30 a.m. Torpedo Run (1958)..Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, Diane Brewster

1:15 p.m. The Badlanders (1958)..Alan Ladd, Ernest Borgnine, Katy Jurado

2:45 p.m. The Flight of the Phoenix (1965)..James Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Peter Finch. Airs again on February 10

5:15 p.m. Ice Station Zebra (1968)..Rock Hudson, Ernest Borgnine, Patrick McGoohan. Airs again on February 14 & March 14

images202.jpg

PRIMETIME: MUSIC BY JIMMY VAN HEUSEN

8:00 p.m. Road To Morocco (1942)..Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour

9:30 p.m. Welcome Stranger (1947)..Bing Crosby, Joan Caulfield, Barry Fitzgerald

11:30 p.m. Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)..Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Channing

2:15 a.m. Some Came Running (1959)..Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Shirley MacLaine

4:45 a.m. Under The Yum Yum Tree (1963)..Jack Lemmon, Carol Lynley, Dean Jones

*FRIDAY January 25, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

images-4104.jpg

DAYTIME: GEORGE BRENT

6:45 a.m. Looking Forward (1933)..Lionel Barrymore, Lewis Stone, Benita Hume

8:15 a.m. Night Flight (1933)..John Barrymore, Helen Hayes, Clark Gable

9:45 a.m. The Rains Came (1939)..Tyrone Power, Myrna Loy, George Brent. Airs again on February 8

11:30 a.m. The Corpse Came C.O.D. (1947)..George Brent, Joan Blondell, Adele Jergens

1:00 p.m. Silver Queen (1942)..George Brent, Priscilla Lane, Bruce Cabot

2:30 p.m. You Can't Escape Forever (1942)..George Brent, Brenda Marshall, Gene Lockhart

4:00 p.m. The Gay Sisters (1942)..Barbara Stanwyck, Geoge Brent, Geraldine Fitzgerald

6:00 p.m. Submarine D-1 (1937)..Pat O?Brien, George Brent, Wayne Morris

images202.jpg

PRIMETIME: MUSIC BY JIMMY VAN HEUSEN

8:00 p.m. The Tender Trap (1955)..Frank Sinatra, Debbie Reynolds, David Wayne. Airs again on April 28

10:00 p.m. Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964)..Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr.

12:15 a.m. Ocean's Eleven (1960)..Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr.

2:30 a.m. The House of Seven Corpses (1974)..John Ireland, Faith Domergue, John Carradine

4:30 a.m. House on Haunted Hill (1958)..Vincent Price, Carol Ohmart, Richard Long

Interestingly, she did not think too highly of her Columbia comedies. She rather disliked A NIGHT TO REMEMBER with Brian Aherne, but Maltin gives it 3.5 stars (out of 4). I think she excelled at screwball comedy, although she preferred dramatic roles.

Another one of her comedies, LOVE IS NEWS, with Ty Power and Don Ameche is scheduled soon on the Fox Movie Channel. It's too bad TCM is not airing this comic gem tonight.

But I agree that BEDTIME STORY is probably her most funny film. I love the part where Freddie March calls the hotel suite and tells the guy on the other end of the line that he's a big baboon! It cracks me up every time.

Topbilled:

I don't care very much for A NIGHT TO REMEMBER either....don't know if it's the silly slapstick or what. I didn't see it a couple of nights ago, but I recorded it, since I only have it on VHS. Loretta's Columbia pictures would make a nice DVD boxset.

LOVE IS NEWS is one I also really enjoy, but of the three she comedies she did with Power in 1937, I prefer to other two better, CAFE METROPOLE and SECOND HOMEYMOON, where her comedy playing seems more natural. Ty also is better in these; he seems a bit callow in LIN, although he was turning 23 at the time. And then there's the last screwball she did for Fox, hich TCM aired, WIFE HUSBAND AND FRIEND. Quite funny, with an excellent cast, although I think the remake outdoes it with Charles Coburn and Lucile Watson as the parents....seems they were given more leeway in their characters' expressing themselves.

I love BEDTIME STORY, with a great cast doing very well by the funny script. Loretta looks especially beautiful (and that's saying A LOT). I also like very much THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE, and I can visualize Cary Grant pertnering with her in this screwball. But where is THE MEN IN HIS LIFE? I don't know why TCM doesn't show it (I also need to upgrade my VHS recording of this to DVD).

I agree that Loretta's Columbia output would make a great boxed set. She deserves as much preferential treatment by Sony as they have given to Jean Arthur and Rita Hayworth.

By the way, CAFE METROPOLE is also coming up on the Fox Movie Channel.

Topbilled wrote:

I agree that Loretta's Columbia output would make a great boxed set. She deserves as much preferential treatment by Sony as they have given to Jean Arthur and Rita Hayworth.

TB:

Well, I don't know that she deserves AS MUCH preferential treatment as Arthur and Hayworth, who had long-term contracts at Columbia, and each in turn was their top star. Jean Arthur was there some ten years, and Rita, give or take a break for a marriage or two, was there some twenty years. Loretta maybe should get the same consideration as Stanwyck, Roz Russell, Colbert, etc. those free-lancers that would make the occasional movie at this studio.

*SUNDAY January 27, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

1roz2.png

DAYTIME: FRIDAY COMES TO SUNDAY

6:00 a.m. Princess O'Rourke (1943)..Olivia de Havilland, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn

8:00 a.m. The Crimson Pirate (1952)..Burt Lancaster, Nick Cravat, Eva Bartok

10:00 a.m. Meet The People (1944)..Lucille Ball, Dick Powell, Virginia O'Brien

12:00 p.m. Black Widow (1954)..Ginger Rogers, Van Heflin, Gene Tierney

2:00 p.m. His Girl Friday (1940)..Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Ralph Bellamy. Airs again on April 19

4:00 p.m. King Solomon's Mines (1950)..Deborah Kerr, Stewart Granger, Richard Carlson. Airs again on February 17

6:00 p.m. Charly (1968)..Cliff Robertson, Claire Bloom, Lilia Skala

1hitch.png

PRIMETIME: HITCHCOCK 
IN THE 1930S

8:00 p.m. The 39 Steps (1935)..Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll, Lucie Mannheim

9:30 p.m. The Lady Vanishes (1938)..Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Paul Lukas. Airs again on April 14

11:15 p.m. Sabotage (1936)..Sylvia Sidney, Oscar Homolka, Desmond Tester

12:45 a.m. The Penalty (1920)..Lon Chaney, Ethel Grey Terry, Charles Clary

2:30 a.m. Mafioso (1964)..Alberto Sordi, Norma Benguell, Cinzia Bruno

4:30 a.m. The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971)..Jerry Orbach, Leigh Taylor-Young, Jo Van Fleet

*MONDAY January 28, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

images206.jpg

DAYTIME: RICHARD DIX AT RKO

6:15 a.m. After Tonight (1933)..Constance Bennett, Gilbert Roland, Edward Ellis

7:30 a.m. Hat, Coat, and Glove (1934)..Ricardo Cortez, Barbara Robbins, John Beal

8:45 a.m. Let's Try Again (1934)..Diana Wynyard, Clive Brook, Helen Vinson

10:00 a.m. Dance Hall (1929)..Olive Borden, Arthur Lake, Margaret Seddon

11:30 a.m. She's My Weakness (1930)..Arthur Lake, Sue Carol, Lucien Littlefield

12:45 p.m. Shooting Straight (1930)..Richard Dix, Lois Wilson, Allen Kearns

2:00 p.m. The Public Defender (1931)..Richard Dix, Shirley Grey, Purnell Pratt

3:15 p.m. The Royal Bed (1931)..Lowell Sherman, Mary Astor, Anthony Bushell

4:30 p.m. Secret Service (1931)..Richard Dix, William Post Jr., Shirley Grey

5:45 p.m. No Marriage Ties (1933)..Richard Dix, Elizabeth Allen, Doris Kenyon

7:00 p.m. No Other Woman (1933)..Irene Dunne, Charles Bickford, Gwili Andre

clairestanding.jpg

PRIMETIME: SWORD PLAY

8:00 p.m. The Mark of Zorro (1940)..Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell, Basil Rathbone. Airs again on February 8 & March 16

10:00 p.m. Adventures of Don Juan (1948)..Errol Flynn, Viveca Lindfors, Robert Douglas

12:00 a.m. Cyrano De Bergerac (1950)..Jose Ferrer, Mala Powers, William Prince. Airs again on March 1

2:00 a.m. Raiders of the Seven Seas (1953)..John Payne, Donna Reed, Gerald Mohr

3:45 a.m. At Sword's Point (1952)..Cornel Wilde, Maureen O'Hara, Robert Douglas

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}*MONDAY January 28, 2013 on TCM*

> *EST*

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> images206.jpg

> DAYTIME: RICHARD DIX AT RKO

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 6:15 a.m. After Tonight (1933)..Constance Bennett, Gilbert Roland, Edward Ellis

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 7:30 a.m. Hat, Coat, and Glove (1934)..Ricardo Cortez, Barbara Robbins, John Beal

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 8:45 a.m. Let's Try Again (1934)..Diana Wynyard, Clive Brook, Helen Vinson

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 10:00 a.m. Dance Hall (1929)..Olive Borden, Arthur Lake, Margaret Seddon

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 11:30 a.m. She's My Weakness (1930)..Arthur Lake, Sue Carol, Lucien Littlefield

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 12:45 p.m. Shooting Straight (1930)..Richard Dix, Lois Wilson, Allen Kearns

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 2:00 p.m. The Public Defender (1931)..Richard Dix, Shirley Grey, Purnell Pratt

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 3:15 p.m. The Royal Bed (1931)..Lowell Sherman, Mary Astor, Anthony Bushell

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 4:30 p.m. Secret Service (1931)..Richard Dix, William Post Jr., Shirley Grey

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 5:45 p.m. No Marriage Ties (1933)..Richard Dix, Elizabeth Allen, Doris Kenyon

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> 7:00 p.m. No Other Woman (1933)..Irene Dunne, Charles Bickford, Gwili Andre

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Gee, isn't your title kinda misleading? There are other movies playing in the daytime besides those of Richard Dix. Believe me, I am a big fan of Dix, but shouldn't your title also highlight there are films with Arthur Lake? And what about Irene Dunne and all the other RKO stars? As you wrote recently, "Quite frankly, I think you should be thanking me for adding a dimension to this discussion that only bolsters your thread, if you let it."

Hi filmlover,

I am going to paraphrase you from another thread:

If you want to focus on the other artists because you have a complaint, then why not create your own thread instead of disrupting someone else's?

:)