Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Tomorrow on TCM

*WEDNESDAY APRIL 10, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

2robryan.png

DAYTIME: ROBERT RYAN

6:00 a.m. Gangway For Tomorrow (1943)..Margo, John Carradine, Robert Ryan

7:15 a.m. Crossfire (1947)..Robert Young, Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan. Airs again on May 7

8:45 a.m. Woman on the Beach (1947)..Joan Bennett, Robert Ryan, Charles Bickford

10:00 a.m. Berlin Express (1948)..Merle Oberon, Robert Ryan, Charles Korvin

11:30 a.m. Return of the Bad Men (1948)..Randolph Scott, Robert Ryan, Anne Jeffreys

1:15 p.m. Act of Violence (1949)..Van Heflin, Robert Ryan, Janet Leigh

2:45 p.m. The Set Up (1949)..Robert Ryan, Audrey Totter, George Tobias

4:00 p.m. Born to be Bad (1950)..Joan Fontaine, Robert Ryan, Zachary Scott. Airs again on June 26

5:45 p.m. Woman on Pier 13 (1950)..Laraine Day, Robert Ryan, John Agar

2olivier1.png

PRIMETIME: STAR OF THE MONTH LAURENCE OLIVIER

8:00 p.m. Sleuth (1972)..Laurence Olivier & Michael Caine

10:30 p.m. A Little Romance (1979)..Laurence Olivier, Diane Lane, Broderick Crawford

12:30 a.m. Clash of the Titans (1981)..Laurence Olivier, Harry Hamlin, Claire Bloom

2:30 a.m. The Shoes of the Fishermen (1968)..Anthony Quinn, Laurence Olivier, Oskar Werner

5:15 a.m. Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965)..Laurence Olivier, Keir Dullea, Carol Lynley

*THURSDAY APRIL 11, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

1jn.png

DAYTIME: JEAN NEGULESCO

7:15 a.m. Count Your Blessings (1959)..Deborah Kerr, Rossano Brazzi, Maurice Chevalier

9:00 a.m. Jessica (1962)..Angie Dickinson, Maurice Chevalier, Noel-Noel

11:00 a.m. Deep Valley (1947)..Ida Lupino, Dane Clark, Wayne Morris

1:00 p.m. Nobody Lives Forever (1946)..John Garfield, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Walter Brennan

2:45 p.m. Johnny Belinda (1948)..Jane Wyman, Lew Ayres, Charles Bickford

4:30 p.m. Three Coins in the Fountain (1954)..Clifton Webb, Dorothy McGuire, Jean Peters. Airs again on June 18

6:15 p.m. Titanic (1953)..Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Wagner. Airs again on May 29

1dp.png

PRIMETIME: DEBRA PAGET

8:00 p.m. Love Me Tender (1956)..Richard Egan, Debra Paget, Elvis Presley. Airs again on June 30

9:45 p.m. Les Miserables (1952)..Michael Rennie, Debra Paget, Robert Newton

11:45 p.m. Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954)..Victor Mature, Susan Hayward, Michael Rennie

1:30 a.m. From the Earth to the Moon (1958)..Joseph Cotten, George Sanders, Debra Paget. Airs again on June 22

3:30 a.m. Seven Angry Men (1955)..Raymond Massey, Debra Paget, Jeffrey Hunter. Airs again on July 14

5:15 a.m. Most Dangerous Man Alive (1961)..Ron Randell, Debra Paget, Elaine Stewart

I watched several of the Ryan films today because he is just one of those actors I'm really comfortable with. I know that I'm usually going to like a Robert Ryan film.

Of the films on tomorrow, I really like both DEEP VALLEY and NOBODY LIVES FOREVER. Lori used to give me trouble about liking Dane Clark because he's seen as JG's rival during that period by fans.

I used to get Dane Clark and Richard Conte confused for some reason.

The book Warner Brother Movies mentions DESTINATION TOKYO and both Clark and Garfield; That in this film one can see the low key approach of Garfield and the over the top approach of Clark.

Well, Dane Clark was just starting out in movies at that time. I think he quickly matured and was very effective in other films, especially in MOONRISE which is my favorite of his. His on-screen career lasted until the late 1980s, so producers, directors and audiences must have found something of value in his performances.

*FRIDAY APRIL 12, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

2tt.png

DAYTIME: MAKE BELIEVE

7:15 a.m. Gulliver's Travels (1939)..Jessica Dragonette, Lanny Ross, Charles Schettler. Airs again on June 22

8:45 a.m. The Secret Garden (1949)..Margaret O'Brien, Herbert Marshall, Dean Stockwell

10:30 a.m. Jack and the Beanstalk (1952)..Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Buddy Baer. Airs again on June 7

11:45 a.m. The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (1953)..Peter Lind Hayes, Mary Healy, Hans Conried. Airs again on May 11

1:15 p.m. Tom Thumb (1958)..Russ Tamblyn, Alan Young, June Thorburn

3:00 p.m. Zotz! (1962)..Tom Poston, Julia Meade, Jim Backus

4:30 p.m. The Phantom Tollbooth (1970)..Butch Patrick, Hans Conried, Mel Blanc

6:15 p.m. The Land That Time Forgot (1975)..Doug McClure, John McEnery, Susan Penhaligon

2proudly.png

PRIMETIME: A WOMAN'S WORLD

8:00 p.m. So Proudly We Hail! (1943)..Claudette Colbert, Paulette Goddard, Veronica Lake

10:15 p.m. Since You Went Away (1944)..Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten

1:15 a.m. The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)..Irene Dunne, Alan Marshal, Roddy McDowall

3:30 a.m. Three Came Home (1950)..Claudette Colbert, Patric Knowles, Florence Desmond

5:30 a.m. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)..Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Dana Andrews. Airs again on May 27

*SATURDAY APRIL 13, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

2perry1.png

DAYTIME: PERRY MASON...

9:15 a.m. Miranda (1948)..Glynis Johns, Googie Withers, Griffith Jones

10:45 a.m. The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (1936)..Donald Woods, Ann Dvorak, Anne Nagel

2mm.png

...AND MISS MARPLE

12:00 p.m. Murder at the Gallop (1963)..Margaret Rutherford, Robert Morley, Flora Robson. Airs again on April 18

1:45 p.m. Mogambo (1953)..Clark Gable, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly

3:45 p.m. Tarzan the Ape Man (1932)..Johnny Weissmuller, Neil Hamilton, C. Aubrey Smith

5:30 p.m. Little Big Man (1970)..Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway, Martin Balsam

2linda.png

PRIMETIME: LINDA DARNELL

8:00 p.m. Anna and the King of Siam (1946)..Irene Dunne, Rex Harrison, Linda Darnell

10:15 p.m. Unfaithfully Yours (1948)..Rex Harrison, Linda Darnell, Rudy Vallee

12:15 a.m. No Way Out (1950)..Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell, Stephen McNally. Airs again on July 26

2:15 a.m. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991)..Fan Siu-Wong, Mei Sheng Fan, Ka-Kui Ho

4:00 a.m. The Last Dragon (1985)..Taimak, Vanity, Chris Murney

I too am very much looking forward to watching Miss Marple and Unfaithfully Yours (Linda Darnell) as well as The Case of the Stuttering Bishop.

Twink

Yes and NO WAY OUT should be in the 10:15 slot. It would be nice to see both Darnell movies back to back.

Twink

*SUNDAY APRIL 14, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

2highsierra.png

DAYTIME: WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET

6:00 a.m. High Sierra (1941)..Ida Lupino, Humphrey Bogart, Alan Curtis

8:00 a.m. The Lady Vanishes (1938)..Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Paul Lukas

10:00 a.m. My Sister Eileen (1955)..Janet Leigh, Jack Lemmon, Betty Garrett. Airs again on May 16

12:00 p.m. Carefree (1938)..Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Ralph Bellamy. Airs again on June 7

1:30 p.m. To Sir with Love (1967)..Sidney Poitier, Christian Roberts, Judy Geeson. Airs again on June 25

3:30 p.m. The Snake Pit (1948)..Olivia de Havilland, Mark Stevens, Leo Genn. Airs again on April 29

5:30 p.m. Splendor in the Grass (1961)..Natalie Wood, Warren Beatty, Pat Hingle

2huston.png

PRIMETIME: WALTER HUSTON

8:00 p.m. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)..Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt

10:15 p.m. Dodsworth (1936)..Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Paul Lukas

12:00 a.m. Mare Nostrum (1926)..Uni Apollon, Alex Nova, Kada-Abd-el-Kader

2:00 a.m. Kurotokage (1962)..Akihiro Maruyama, Isao Kimura, Jinya Usami

4:00 a.m. The Accursed (1958)..Donald Wolfit, Robert Bray, Jane Griffiths

*MONDAY APRIL 15, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

2bars.png

DAYTIME: WOMEN BEHIND BARS...

6:00 a.m. Ladies They Talk About (1933)..Barbara Stanwyck, Preston Foster, Lyle Talbot

7:15 a.m. Caged (1950)..Eleanor Parker, Agnes Moorhead, Ellen Corby. Airs again on June 10

9:00 a.m. House of Women (1962)..Shirley Knight, Andrew Duggan, Constance Ford

2eastw.png

...AND SPAGHETTI WESTERNS WITH CLINT EASTWOOD

11:00 a.m. A Fistful of Dollars (1964)..Clint Eastwood, Marianne Koch, Gian Maria Volonte

12:45 p.m. For a Few Dollars More (1965)..Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Gian Maria Volonte

3:00 p.m. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)?Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef

6:00 p.m. Hang 'Em High (1968)..Clint Eastwood, Inger Stevens, Ed Begley

2guns.png

PRIMETIME: GUNS OF THE WEST

8:00 p.m. Winchester '73 (1950)..James Stewart, Shelley Winters, Dan Duryea. Airs again on May 20, June 5 & July 4

9:45 p.m. Colt .45 (1950)..Randolph Scott, Ruth Roman, Zachary Scott

11:15 p.m. Springfield Rifle (1952)..Gary Cooper, Phyllis Thaxter, David Brian. Airs again on June 8

1:00 a.m. Gun That Won the West (1955)..Dennis Morgan, Paula Raymond, Richard Denning

2:15 a.m. The Fastest Gun Alive (1956)..Glenn Ford, Jeanne Crain, Broderick Crawford

4:00 a.m. The Quick Gun (1964)..Audie Murphy, Merry Anders, James Best

9:00 a.m. House of Women (1962)..Shirley Knight, Andrew Duggan, Constance Ford

Three actors who were doing a decent amount of WB television around that same time.

Yes, they were all under contract at Warners. It didn't really matter if the script was for television or film, you showed up and did what the studio needed you to do.

*TUESDAY APRIL 16, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

1cc.png

DAYTIME: CHARLIE CHAPLIN

6:00 a.m. Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914)..Marie Dressler, Charlie Chaplin, Mabel Normand

7:30 a.m. Sunnyside (1919)..Charlie Chaplin, Edna Purviance, Albert Austin

8:00 a.m. The Gold Rush (1925)..Charlie Chaplin, Georgia Hale, mack Swain

9:15 a.m. The Circus (1928).. Charlie Chaplin, Merna Kennedy, Betty Morrissey

10:30 a.m. Modern Times (1936)..Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Henry Bergman

12:30 p.m. The Great Dictator (1940)..Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie

2:15 p.m. A King in New York (1957)..Charlie Chaplin, Maxine Audley, Jerry Desmonde

5:00 p.m. Limelight (1952)..Charlie Chaplin, Claire Bloom, Nigel Bruce

1pe.png

PRIMETIME: PIERRE ETAIX

8:00 p.m. Yo Yo (1967)..Pierre Etaix, Philippe Dionnet, Luce Klein

10:00 p.m. Le Grand Amor (1969)..Pierre Etaix, Annie Fratellini, Nicole Calfan

12:00 a.m. As Long As You're Healthy (1966)..Pierre Etaix, Denise Peronne, Simone Fonder

1:30 a.m. The Suitor (1963)..France Arnel, Pierre Etaix, Laurence Ligneres

3:00 a.m. Seven Chances (1925)..Buster Keaton, T. Roy Barnes, Snitz Edwards. Airs again on June 13 & July 14

4:00 a.m. Brewster's Millions (1945)..Dennis O?Keefe, Helen Walker, June Havoc. Airs again on June 13

12:30 p.m. The Great Dictator (1940)..Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie

I think I first saw this film on screen when I was about 14. It was in a double feature with ROOM SERVICE, I think.

I showed it for a dorm activity when I was in college and some people didn't like it because they thought it "made fun of a serious subject". I obviously argued in favor, but a handful actually walked out.

Interestingly, HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM! with extreme racial stereotypes got no negative reaction at all. I hadn't prescreened that film and it made me cringe.

A lesson learned by a nineteen year old.

Interesting story. Well, we were all 19 once!

You can probably tell my bias by the picture I selected: Chaplin in A KING IN NEW YORK. I think this is an excellent film, and it also spoofs a serious subject: the threat of Communism in America. Plus, it offers a hilarious critique of capitalism by poking fun at the world of advertising.

I am glad that TCM is showing these wonderful Chaplin films tomorrow.

I really like both LIMELIGHT and A KING IN NEW YORK. Chaplin did some of his best work after we stopped watching.

I agree. Some of Chaplin's best work did come later. I still haven't seen the one where he directed Marlon Brando.

*WEDNESDAY APRIL 17, 2013 on TCM*

*EST*

2camille.png

DAYTIME: MGM IN THE 1930S

6:00 a.m. Mark of the Vampire (1935)..Lionel Barrymore, Elizabeth Allen, Lionel Atwill

7:15 a.m. Anna Karenina (1935)..Greta Garbo, Fredric March, Freddie Bartholomew

9:00 a.m. Camille (1936)..Greta Garbo, Robert Taylor, Lionel Barrymore. Airs again on June 5

11:00 a.m. Romeo and Juliet (1936)..Norma Shearer, Leslie Howard, John Barrymore

1:15 p.m. Rose-Marie (1936)..Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Reginald Owen. Airs again on July 1

3:15 p.m. Marie Antoinette (1938)..Norma Shearer, Tyrone Power, John Barrymore

6:00 p.m. The Philadelphia Story (1940)..Katharine Hepburn, James Stewart. Airs again on May 10

2lo.png

PRIMETIME: STAR OF THE MONTH LAURENCE OLIIVER

8:00 p.m. That Hamilton Woman (1941)..Vivien Leigh, Laurence Olivier, Alan Mowbray

10:15 p.m. Perfect Understanding (1933)..Gloria Swanson, Laurence Olivier, John Halliday

11:45 p.m. Rebecca (1940)..Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders. Airs again on June 26

2:00 a.m. Pride and Prejudice (1940)..Greer Garson, Laurence Olivier, Mary Boland

4:00 a.m. Wuthering Heights (1939)..Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, David Niven. Airs again on July 26

5:45 a.m. The Divorce of Lady X (1938)..Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, Binnie Barnes

i think the programmer was devious with today's daytime lineup. most are 30's MGM and most are costumers, but the oddball was always the last pic, The Philadelphia Story (1940), which is neither.

so i looked around and found there is one person who's credited for every feature: Edwin Willis, who is listed as an Associate Art Director for all except The Philadelphia Story where he's listed as Set Decorator. it seems odd that Willis would be selected for today, since there's no apparent reason to feature Willis today. for example, it's not his birthday.

since Cedric Gibbons was the chief Art Director at MGM (IMDb lists 1052 credits for Gibbons), Willis must have altered his career path a little to diversify and improve his job opportunities. (Gibbons's a common thread to all except Camille.)

then again, it could be a fluke that Willis is in every flik today, since he has 822 art and set credits himself listed at IMDb. maybe I'm reading more into this than is really there.

Well you still get kudos from me for even spotting this Willis connection. Hard to beleive this just happened by chance.

I do not think I will continue with this thread. I am displeased that someone is calling the themes into question, and that is not what I want here. I will continue to post about TCM's daily programming on one of my blogs. I can better control the content and moderate the comments over there. If anyone would like the link, private message me. Thanks.

Sorry, mr6666,

That is not how I see it. The goal of this thread is to celebrate TCM's daily programming. But what has happened is that there is nit-picking about a daily theme that may not be correctly identified. I do not want that. I feel that if I stop going to all the bother of posting these daily updates, then maybe what I offered will be appreciated. If not, then the person who is doing the nit-picking will have to provide the information himself.