Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Although I've never been a huge A & B fan, I've always enjoyed this movie because the cast included my favorites' Bella Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. However, after watching this movie for the nth time, I saw something I never noticed before. There is a technical error in a scene where Lugosi (Count Dracula) leans over to kiss (bite) Sandra in front of a mirror. Aghast! You can see his reflection in the nearby mirror! How could this happen? How could this have gotten past the editing room? LOL!

Thought I'd share this with other trivia enthusiasts..

I've seen things like that before. For example, in the British version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL starring Alistair Sim there's a scene where Scrooge standing in front of a mirror and for a couple of seconds you can see the reflection of a stagehand who them steps back out of the shot. I probably saw the film a couple of dozen times before I ever noticed that.

In the days, before TV and home video, most people only saw a film once and things like that came and went without much notice. It wasn't until people had a way to watch films multiple times and even frame by frame that folks started picking up on bloopers and technical issues.

In the case you mentioned, the director probably felt it wasn't worth the time or expense to reshoot the scene for something that few people would notice.

I almost wonder if anyone even noticed in the first place.

One thing I enjoy about the TCM app is that it offers trivia on many movies currently in the schedule. In this case, it mentioned that Lon Chaney put on the Frankenstein makeup one day when Glenn Strange was injured and couldn't work. Sounds like Lon was a 'team player'. It happened to be the scene where he throws Sandra through the window.

stuff (trivia) like this I find interesting.

Thanks for responding.

• 3 weeks later...

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}I've seen things like that before. For example, in the British version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL starring Alistair Sim there's a scene where Scrooge standing in front of a mirror and for a couple of seconds you can see the reflection of a stagehand who them steps back out of the shot. I probably saw the film a couple of dozen times before I ever noticed that.

>

>

>

I know I watched it many times as well before finally noticing this. Of course now you can't "unsee" it. Everytime that scene is on I always notice that stagehand and chuckle :)