Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
msladysoul

Who would be your ideal classic wife or husband?

If you could make one classic star your wife or husband who would it be? Most importantly, forget about the screen image, as their true selves who would suit you, since some of us know how some of these classic stars really were in real life, what would you add to them that you like about another star but would like your "ideal" to have or what bad trait would you take away from them to make them your ideal companion? Personality, body type, voice, etc.

For example, some of your ladies may say Cary Grant but you would take away this for Clark Gable's that or Marilyn Monroe could be your choice but you would take away her this for Joan Crawford's sophistication. You get the picture!

I think this is going to be interesting to hear your answers.

Hedy Lamarr's face, Grace Kelly's body, Audrey Hepburn's early 1960's wardrobe, Barbara Stanwyck's voice and Carole Lombard's personality.

Hmmmm....this is a cool question; it makes me think about my answer. I would take Montgomery Clift's face, Robert Montgomery's charm, Cary Grant's zany personality in his comedies(those last two are mixed), John Wayne's tough guy attitude, and probably Guy Madison's body. That would be very interesting to see!

May I please have Barbara Stanwyck's seduction skills (Lady Eve!) implanted into Marilyn Monroe. I'd also like a side order of Joan Blondell to go please.

: )

Tom

I'd become a Mormon and marry Cary Grant, Fredric March AND Warren William, all at the same time.

Oh, and keep Robert Fuller on the side.:)

I love Frances Dee as much as anyone else, but I would take Joel McCrea ( if we pretend she wasn't with him!). Before I knew who he was, I would always have his ranch pointed out to me as a kid on the way to my aunt's house. Near ( or in? ) Santa Rosa on the Norwegian Pass on the way to Thousand Oaks from Moorpark I believe. Walter Brennan lived somewhere near there too I think. Joel was so down to earth and REAL seemingly. Not to mention handsome, sexy, funny.......

Hi, Shainabluegirl:

The McCrea Ranch is on Moorpark Road, between Thousand Oaks and Moorpark. At one time, the Eastern edge of Thousand Oaks was the end of the McCrea Ranch (right by the Norwegian Grade). Over the years the 3,000 acres dwindled down to about 300 acres, as the McCreas sold off some of the land and donated other for charitable projects, like Wildlife Preserve and the YMCA on the Norwegian Grade.

Five years after Joel's death, in 1995, Frances Dee donated the remaining 225 of 300 acres to be preserved as a parkland. The family kept the remaining 80 acres, with the right to live on the property. Grandsons Wyatt (who is a caretaker of the ranch) and Clay live on the property now. It was put on the National Register of Historic Places and one day will, hopefully, be open to the public.

I agree with you about Joel McCrea, for all the reasons you said: he was so kind, gracious, down-to-earth, not to forget handsome and funny. However, he was a one-woman man, and that woman was Frances Dee. It's funny, but they were born within three or flour blocks of each other in South Pasadena, but didn't meet until their film careers.

This is the centennial year of Joel's birth. I hope TCM does something for him in November.

Take care, Shainabluegirl. Good luck with your Edward Woods website.

Deborah

I know Moorpark Rd., it stretches all the way thru to the 101, the particular little windy mountainous section near where some of their propery touches is nicknamed by long time locals ( like my mom ) as " the norwegian pass" Lord knows why. He had a son Jody, right? My ex-husband use to cut his hair ( his father and himself were the Moorpark town barbers ). At the time my husband told me I wasn't much interested , thinking of Joel as a western movie man ( I dislike westerns). Now I could just kick myself! Anyways- I'll stop ranting and hand the topic back. Joel McCrea- #1 husband pick!

No hesitation on this one...JAMES STEWART. A very moral,loving man. I love the silly side of him, that twinkle in his eye, politeness, tall, service to his country, church going...I could go on and on.

I sent him a fan letter many years ago and received the sweetest reply. Only fan letter I've ever sent and it was worth it.

2nd choice would be Joel McCrea. Another nice man.

Susu

Hi, again:

Yes, James Stewart would be my second choice. In fact, he and Joel McCrea remind me a lot of each other in their personalities in lifestyles. I believe they were friends in real life.

Both men had long marriages. Stewart and Gloria were married 45 years until her death in 1994. Joel McCrea and Frances Dee were married 57 years. This is two of Hollywood's greatest love stories.

The McCreas had three sons: Jody, David, and Peter, who was quite a deal younger than the two older boys. Shainablue girl, your ex-husband probably cut all three of the boys' hair. I guess by the time you knew about it, Joel was just making Westerns. I would have loved to have met either him or Frances. Oh, well.

I wouldn't have minded meeting Jimmy Stewart either. Neither Joel or Jimmy let success get to them.

Deborah

My Favorite Wife starred Irene Dunne along with Cary, of course, and that title's very apt for this favorite actress of mine. She played many a great wife and, well, who could ask for more than The First Lady of Hollywood?

I'm afraid I'd be a faithless wife, even if married to super hunk Johnny Mack Brown. My cowboy Lothario would certainly get much of my attention but I'd still be pining for the company of Buster Crabbe, Charles Starrett and Errol Flynn. So perhaps marriage shouldn't be a factor in my case. I'd have to settle for the reputation of being a 'woman of affairs.'

how do you feel about Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, as your marital cowpoke?

I'll go with him as my ideal movie hubby, since I could push him around, Big Boy being so good natured and all.