Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm Back... A Classical Movie Buff Returneth

cyberella1

What can I say? Joined up a long time ago. Over multi-tasked resulting in no time for fun, but things have changed so now I can enjoy more of my favorite passion, old movies. Actually the movies live forever (if taken care of) so who am I calling old? And let me just say one thing about my screen name, Cyberella1. You might think I am a cross between Barbarella and Cinderella but not so. Or I was drunk when I thought it up. Sadly no. I just liked the name. Well they name babies and pets that way don't they?

Okay, two of my favorite movies: All About Eve and The Third Man. Do I hear an Amen?

There are no old movies; only movies we haven't seen before.

As for your nickname; I took it as being that your a 'bella' that is communicating to the world via cyberspace.

All About Eve and The Third Man as also two of my favorite movies (but very safe choices if you know what I mean).

So welcome back!

After a point, choosing the "best" Hollywood movie is as impossible a task as choosing the "best" anything.

That said, I'd agree that it's hard to rate any American movie *over* All About Eve, but watch another thousand or so and you never know what you might find. ;)

Thanks for the welcome.

To your comments;

*"Old movies"* Absolutely.

*My nick name*: I don't know about the bella part but I like your take on it.

*"Eve" and "Third"*: Safe, yes, but loved. How about this one? "I Know Where I'm Going" 1945. Directed by Powell/Pressberger. Starring Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey. Great cast, direction...For me it's intoxicating.

I really like the movie "I Know Where I'm Going" and I'm a big fan of Wendy Hiller.

Pygmalion is one of my favorite films (but than Leslie Howard is my favorite actor).

As much as I love Audrey, Hiller is the true Eliza (and if they had to make it into a musical they should of use Julie).

Well to me Audrey didn't look realistic at the start as the dumpy gal. So while I agree Audrey after the transformation was better looking than either Hiller was or I suspect Andrews would of been (since I didn't see the play), I think Hiller played the dumpy role a lot better than Audrey and my guess is that Andrews did as well.

Than of course these is the singing. My Fair Lady is a musical for crying out loud. Audrey was picked because of her box office clout and NOT because she was the best actress available for the part.

Regarding My Fair Lady-- From what I know, everyone thought Andrews was a shoe-in for the part since she was so successful on Broadway, and she could actually sing. But like you said, Hepburn got it because of box office. But after getting the role, didn't Hollywood snub Audrey? I'm pretty sure but for how long. She was (still is) so popular and made a lot of money for the industry. I agree, a little charcoal on the face couldn't quite make her dumpy.

I wish I've seen more of Wendy Hiller. She was so good in Seperate Tables.

On another note... Did anyone hear the interview with Dustin Hoffman on NPR today? I only caught part because I was driving.

Hi again DarkBlue--I am trying to imagine some stage actors recreating their roles on the big screen. Ay is right. Some are working on the small screen which is getting less small every five minutes. In High Def no less.

About the teasing, believe it or not I was smiling when I wrote that. Didn't quite pull it off, did I? I am reluctant to use smiley faces.

Okay, shall we set up some ground rules on smiling? Smiling at Dr. Strangelove--good. Smiling at Fail Safe--Bad.

Archived