Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia -- Week of April 17, 2005

Greetings, everybody! It's a beautiful spring day in the Queen City, and unfortunately, the allergy season is also getting under way. So far, I haven't had anything more serious than an occasional sneezing fit (I'm doing much better than in previous years), but the season is still young.

More old Liberty magazines in the mail this morning, and here's a brief early profile/review of one of our TCM favorites from the issue of April 16, 1927:

"While on the subject of optical recreation, it is easy to consider Joan Crawford, another member of the younger set getting along in the films. She is the Charleston and Black Bottom champion of Hollywood, and has more prize cups than Big Bill Tilden and Gene Sarazen put together.

"Miss Crawford gives San Antonio, Texas as her birthplace. She reached the East by easy stages, going to school in Kansas City and one or two other Middle Western cities. In New York she worked in the chorus of several Manhattan revues. She was for a time a chorine at the Winter Garden. Then her name was Lucille La Sueur.

"The movie magnates gave Lucille her chance, but they frowned upon her native name. They decided to hold a contest for a new one, and the person who thought up Joan Crawford got a trip to Hollywood before being lost to immortality. However, the new name seems to have been a help. Today Miss Crawford has a Hollywood bungelow, a motor, and a police dog.

"She has the leading feminine role in a new Metro-Goldwyn effort, THE TAXI DANCER. Here is the perennial yarn of the country girl who comes to Manhattan, is beset by all the regulation evils, but wins the right man after all. The right man is Owen Moore, who just now seems to be the most employed upright young hero in the Hollywood films."

Now, on to this week's movie trivia . . .

No other takers? Yesterday's answer: All three of these gentlemen were film critics who became screenwriters.

Pare Lorentz (THE PLOW THAT BROKE THE PLAINS, THE RIVER) reviewed films for Judge, Vanity Fair, and McCall's magazines.

Robert E. Sherwood (REBECCA, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES) reviewed films for the humor magazine Life.

And Frank S. Nugent (FORT APACHE, THE QUIET MAN) reviewed films for the New York Times.

Sorry, folks -- had to remove some troublesome software from my computer this morning, and it took WAY longer than I thought!

Tuesday's question: What is the name of the ultimate weapon that Tully Bascombe (Peter Sellers) and his army capture in the 1959 film THE MOUSE THAT ROARED?

Good luck!

I think path's right, but I'm going to throw in my guess of Claudette Colbert for good measure.

And Coffeedan, I do know what you mean about Sellers being great times four. Just his portrayal of the Queen is both brilliant and hysterical.

LOVE THIS MOVIE ! iOWN IT! JUST FINISHED WATCHING IT!!!!1

love the exchange between Garfield & Mae Robison when they meet for the first time..."Don't be so noble a cup of tea is just a little hot water"love this line when

garfield says it to aunt etta mae Robison his delivery

priceless Garfield!!! the answer to the question is

i think Hogy Carmichael at least i hope it is!...lolite.