Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

MLK Day = Sidney Poitier Day

*The two films Crawford made for Castle were Strait-Jacket and I Saw What You Did. Neither of them have George Nader in them. I don't even see on Castle's IMDb page an entry for Sunset Avenue.*

*The plot thickens.*

Wow, ya know, nothin's poppin' into me little head here, finance., though it appears dpompper has thought of one.

I first thought maybe Randy Newman's ode to my old stompin' grounds might have the name "Sunset Blvd" somewhere in the lyrics, but nope it doesn't. And then I thought of Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do", but that one only mentions "Santa Monica Blvd"(WE LOVE IT...oh..sorry), and so, nope, nothin's comin' to me here.

Now c'mon you three(who appear to believe this whole "Nader/Crawford/Castle Production" thing). You HAVE to know I'm makin' all this stuff up as I go, RIGHT?! ;)

(...I figured the "Wham-O Slip-n-Slide" line would've been a dead giveaway!!!)

"Sunset Blvd." is the title song of the Andrew Lloyd Webber show based on the movie. Here's one version of it.

Naaah, now HERE'S ya some lyrics, duuuuuuuude!:

Hate New York City

It's cold and it's damp

And all the people dressed like monkeys

Let's leave Chicago to the Eskimos

That town's a little bit too rugged

For you and me, you bad girl

;)

(...oh and yeah, I WAS wonderin' what the heck "platic" meant...I see you changed it)

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around.

No time for dancing, or lovey dovey.

I ain't got time for that now.

(Nothing to do with SB. I just love Talking Heads and you reminded me that it's been about 25 years since I screamed these lyrics at the top of my lungs.)

Producing, I think.

I saw him live once after he went solo (The "Uh Oh" tour). Seriously regret that I never got to see TH :(

What's Byrne been up to lately, Dargo?

Probably STILL trying to convince somebody that HE introduced African rhythms to popular music. The same claim he made that had Steve Stills dive across a table at him to beat his arse!

Sepiatone

A lot of people have missed this, but in BERKELEY SQUARE (1933), Leslie Howard travels from modern New York, back in time to London in the late 1700s, and he attends an old fashioned dance. A lady knows he is from the US and she asks him about the dance styles in America (which she naturally assumes is also living in the late 1700s). Howard starts to tell her about modern dance in America, which of course she won't understand, and he says, "Our dances are modeled on those of the Nee..... uh, the red Indians".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JREbNCiJuIg#t=2904s

That clip starts at about 48:24 into the movie.

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Jan 31, 2013 8:47 AM

John Mayall, on his "Blues From Laurel Canyon " LP(1969) does a song titled "Walking On Sunset".

Well, Topbilled, seems that in spite of it's *importance* , this thread STILL managed to wander off into "off topic chit chat".

Sepiatone

Byrne wrote a great article for Scientific American about music a few issues back. Sorry I don't have a link to it.

(yea, I read that, as anti-American as a mag can get!) :)

Caught a slice of one of those VH1 "100 Top Songs of the '90s" yesterday and Crow say how much she HATES singing that song.