Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie suggestions for someone just getting into classiic movies?

Lately I seem to want to watch some older movies. I enjoyed classics as a kid such as Lassie Come Home, Herbie the Love Bug, Old Yeller, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, Treasure Island, The Three Lives of Thomasina etc.

I'd like some more classic movie suggestions to get me going! They don't need to be family films, though I do enjoy them! So tell me your favourites here!

Welcome to the boards.

Here are some recommendations, by genre, and these only scratch the surface:

Comedy: A Night At The Opera, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Adam's Rib, It Happens Every Spring, Ghost Catchers

Horror/Sci-Fi: The Thing, Them!, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Uninvited, Man Made Monster

Western: Ride The High Country, Western Union, Dodge City

Adventure: The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Mark of Zorro

Romance: Random Harvest

Biblical or Historical Epics: Ben-Hur, Quo Vadis, El Cid

Mystery/suspense/gangster: North By Northwest, Strangers on a Train, Murder, My Sweet,

White Heat

War: The Longest Day, Objective Burma, The Dam Busters, Attack!, Above and Beyond

Drama: On The Waterfront, Bigger Than Life

Trashy fun: The Giant Claw, High School Caesar, How To Make a Monster

How about:

1) I Remember Mama (1948) about a Norwegian family in San Francisco in the early 1900's. Wonderful story for any age and had got an amusing and touching part about their cat.

2) Life With Father (1947) about a man and his scatterbrained wife and their 4 sons. Delightful with an outstanding cast. William Powell (won Best Actor Oscar), Irene Dunne, and young Elizabeth Taylor in a supporting role.

3) Bringing Up Baby (1938) Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn in a classic screwball comedy about a leopard named Baby, a Terrier named George, and a Bone in rural Connecticut.

I think you would like all three of these. And, for that matter, they are all "Classics."

Good luck!

Edited by: bagladymimi on Jan 29, 2013 7:03 PM

All great suggestions, but for starters I would just say *Casablanca*. And no one asked, but for anyone wanting to get into opera, I would say Il Trovatore.

(OT to baglady, I would also say that Bringing Up Baby is about an impotent scientist who can't find his "bone." He's the real "Baby," not the leopard. Watch when they're singing "I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby" to the psychiatrist. Hepburn is looking, not at the leopard on the roof, but at Grant, the real baby.)

*Gaslight*

*Ball of Fire*

Stella Dallas

Gone with the Wind

Dark Victory

Rebecca

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Mildred Pierce

Notorious

A Streetcar Named Desire

The Kid (silent)

City Lights (silent)

Intermezzo: A Love Story

These are a few that I can watch over and over again. Hope you enjoy! :)

I think there is value in providing movies by genre especially since certain genres might appear very dated to someone just getting into classic movies.

For example, adventure or period films are 'dated' by definition since most of them take place in an historical setting or time. I always recommend Robin Hood first. To me this is a very safe choice and a movie that should appeal to anyone. First most people know the basic story. The movie has very rich color (sadly getting people into Black and White can take time), and there is no tie between what is going on in the movie and our modern life. I have often found that movies set in the 30 - 50 don't go over well since the times are close to our times and the viewer ends up making too many comparisons to our times.

Western- Red River, True Grit

Drama- A Man For All Seasons, On The Waterfront

Suspense- Rear Window, Wait Until Dark, The Wrong Man, Shadow of a Doubt

Musicals- The Sound of Music, The Band Wagon, Singin' In The Rain, West Side Story

War- The Bridge On The River Kwai

Romantic Comedy/ Screwball Comedy- Roman Holiday, The Awful Truth, Harvey

Action Adventure- The Adventures of Robin Hood

I think that the recommendations also depend on how old you are. I find that many younger people (45 or younger - that tells you how old I am) don't want to take the time to get into a movie. I had one co-worker (42) who told me that she just couldn't get into Casablanca - she thought it was boring. Maybe it is just me, but I think Casablanca is very easy to get into. So, with my recommendations earlier with "I Remember Mama, Live With Father, and Bringing Up Baby", I may be way off the mark. Also, it might depend on whether the person is a man or a woman?

I think that all the movies that I have seen in response to this question have been really good. They are all classics and hopefully, he or she will watch and enjoy them all!

Once you've got your sea legs, another good way to get a feel for movie history is to take advantage of TCM programming blocks featuring a particular actor or actress. Stars often get a birthday tribute and the Star of the Month gets an in-depth look at their career. You also have Summer Under The Stars coming up in which particular stars get a 24-hour salute. Some people here have complained that this kind of programming just recycles movies that already get shown anyway, but there are usually some treasures and for someone just starting out it could be a gold mine, especially if you record.

> {quote:title=la-gamine wrote:}{quote}Lately I seem to want to watch some older movies.

Welcome. My suggestion to people just starting out is to not be affraid to watch films you don't know or may have never heard of. TCM shows about 300 movies a month there's plenty of good ones that might otherwise might fall through a crack. You'll get exposed to all kinds of genres, stars, character actors and directors. If you have a DVR or other recorder give it a workout. Some really great films show up at odd hours. Remember, the worst thing that will happen is you'll see some films you won't like.

Another thing is feel free to join the discussions here. Yeah, a few folks can be a little crabby, but most of us will be happy to hear what you have to say and answer your questions. Have fun. :)

I am excited for you - there are so many really great movies for you to see! I wish I could have gotten back to you earlier. I am too late to recommend Friendly Persuasion which is on tomorrow (Weds.) am at 5:00 am EST. If you happen to see this and can watch it, it is a wonderful movie.

And I am sure we would all like to hear some feedback from what you watch. So, please join us on this forum. It is really fun and you can learn so much. Enjoy!

Well, you've got a lot of good suggestions, and I could doubtless give you a long list myself. But, there is one rollicking adventure/love story that epitomizes classic film to me. It was also made in what many consider to be Hollywood's finest year, 1939. That film is *The Four Feathers*.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031334/reference