Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

"BITTER RICE" .......

I first saw this film in a theater in 1952 when I was 10 years old. It was my first experience with Italian neo-realism films and Italian dames. :)

The film was in Italian, like it is now, with English sub-titles. And I was a slow reader, so I couldn't follow the story. So I wound up just looking at the dames. :):)

Silvana Mangano is one of the most beautiful women to grace the screen, anywhere, at any time. IMHO. Period.

I realized last night that I still don't bother reading the sub-titles. I still spend the whole movie watching the girls. :)

LOL. well, its not too plot heavy, but you might miss some of the humor........

I watched the movie clip and the What's My Line episode as well. She was very beautiful. I did not realize *Riso Amaro* was *Bitter Rice*. Did she not get an Oscar for *The Rose Tattoo* proving she could act as well? I need to see this film.

You must be thinking of Anna Magnani..........(Rose Tatoo).

That was Anna Magnani in The Rose Tattoo. Unfortunately for Anna, she was just a little too old when finally discovered by American film makers, although she was still good looking.

Silvana (aka Giada's DiLaurentiis' grandmother) was a knockout! She's kind of a mix of Ingrid Bergman and Sophia Loren, physically speaking. Bellisima!

I've seen Bitter Rice before on TCM and was impressed. Never realized just how handsome Vittorio Gassman was.

THANKS, guys.

Now I REGRET having missed it!

I just kept thinking ANY rice I cook is "bitter rice".

Sepiatone

Yogi, since you posted that info(Silvana being Giada DeLaurentis's Grandmother), I went on a search for Silvana images.

Not only was Ms. Mangano a KNOCKOUT, but I DID notice some of the same features in both Grandma and grand daughter. SOME of the photos I saw made me think of "Giada in costume".

Sepiatone

That film was considered pretty "hot" in those days. In a lot a places the censors banned it. You saw it when you were ten?. What'd ya do, Fred, sneak in the back door to see the "dirty" Italian film. :^0

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}You must be thinking of Anna Magnani..........(Rose Tatoo).

I was. Oops!

I saw it at a small-town theater in the South. I think the theater owner must have been a film buff because he occasionally showed foreign films, documentaries, and a few silent films. I saw King Kong at the same theater. I also saw CHANG (1927) in the same theater.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017743/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Great film, Fred. I remember you touting it a few months back. Yes, great looking women. Strange that most of those rice women were good looking. Sylvana was amazing. Doris Dowling looked great too.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> THANKS, guys.

>

>

> I just kept thinking ANY rice I cook is "bitter rice".

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

NEVER use an aluminum pan to cook rice. That will make it bitter. Use 1/2 tablespoon of oil per cup of dried rice. Best to use peanut oil, better yet roasted peanut oil, also good, sesame oil. Your rice will never be bitter again... :)

(I use a microwave. About 750 - 1000 watts. 2 cups water, 3/4 cups Uncle Ben's rice. Microwave in an open bowl for 6 minutes. Let sit for 2 minutes to cool off. Microwave another 6 minutes. Let sit for 2 minutes. Microwave for 4 minutes. Let sit several minutes. Nice fluffy rice.)

Hopefully NOT white rice. Brown rice is much healthier, takes longer to cook, but soo much better for you! :)

I prefer real rice, in a stainless steel sauce pan. I get the water to a low boil, put in the rice, put on the lid, wait 15 minutes, turn the burner off, wait a few more minutes, serve. Actually easier than the my-crow-waves... :)

Youse people seem to be wasting a lot of time making rice. I use Uncle

Ben's Ready Rice. Pop the pouch in the microwave for 90 seconds, put

on a plate, add some margarine and salt. Very tasty.

Taste like a cross between tofu, couch cushion, and maggots... I call it racist to blame something like that crap on a black man. I eat only real rice. :P

Val, ALL my pots are aluminum, but with non-stick coating. Are you saying the coating doesn't help?

And how did you know I wasn't KIDDING about my rice being bitter(I wasn't, y'know).

Sepiatone

Speaking of rice, with Mardi Gras around the corner do you cook anything special for Fat Tuesday?

I'm gonna do a Zatarain's gumbo mix with rice, sausage, shrimp and okra.

For dessert, a pączek or two pączki. Nothing like going international. :)