Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

"BITTER RICE" .......

As a Polack, I'd like to thank you, heuriger, for differenciating between the two....paczek and paczki. (my keyboard either can't do that little tail, or I can't figure it out).

I have to keep reminding my wife...ONE dumpling is a "pierog". TWO or more are "pierogi". NOT "perogies"(arrgh!).

Sepiatone

ą

ą

ą

To post unusual characters in your text, I open a word document, then I click on INSERT and then I click on SYMBOL, then I find the character and click on it.

Then I copy and past the character to this message box, and it usually shows up ok.

Another way to do it is to copy the word paczek and paste it to a Google search box. Usually some websites will contain that word with the proper foreign character. If so, then copy that word and paste it into your message, like this:

pączek

Also, you can do a search on Google using foreign characters, even Japanese. For example:

Tora! Tora! Tora! (Japanese: トラ・トラ・トラ)

You will probably see little square boxes, but your computer and Google will see the Japanese characters.

Try a Google image search using this search term:

トラ・トラ・トラ

Well this is one of those there is no disputing taste things. I

find it very tasty. Uncle Ben's is real rice and it's magnificent.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Val, ALL my pots are aluminum, but with non-stick coating. Are you saying the coating doesn't help?

>

> And how did you know I wasn't KIDDING about my rice being bitter(I wasn't, y'know).

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

I meant aluminum pots that are bare aluminum on the inside. I guess those are rare these days. Most of my pots are stainless steel, with an aluminum sandwich bottom, for better heat diffusion. I've avoided the coated stuff for decades, because they used some very nasty coatings, that I didn't want to cook in. Now, they do have some ceramic-based non-stick linings that I think are fine, work well, and aren't dangerous. But, I haven't researched the more modern coatings, so there may be some I'd approve of. My rice is never bitter. Try some Jasmine rice, or Basmati rice. Trader Joe's has them for a good price. They have distinctive, but mild, flavors.

> {quote:title=heuriger wrote:}{quote}Speaking of rice, with Mardi Gras around the corner do you cook anything special for Fat Tuesday?

> I'm gonna do a Zatarain's gumbo mix with rice, sausage, shrimp and okra.

> For dessert, a pączek or two pączki. Nothing like going international. :)

Sounds tasty! Zatarain's makes some decent stuff, but I haven't tried their gumbo mix. I had a Cajun stepmother. I did pick up some cooking styles from her, but don't have any of her recipes. I do make a decent seafood creole, and I do have some andouie sausage in the freezer, as well as shrimp. I think you're inspired me to cook one up. But, it will have to be Wednesday evening, because I work Tuesday evenings.

Never thought this thread would turn into rice recipes (LOL). I steam my rice in a steamer. Takes about 30 mins. Perfect every time. I know brown rice is better for you, but I dont like it. Tastes too crunchy. UGH.

Yeah, I do fine with pre-packaged rices like MAHATMA'S yellow saffron rice, or Vigo's yellow rice, but rice from scratch gives me a hard time. Mostly the sticking of it to the bottom of the pot. No matter how low the flame. The parts in *Seven Samuri* I hate are when people are shown eating rice that looks far fluffier and tastier than I can mamage on a modern cooking range and new pots.

Sepiatone

. . . I could never get brown rice to cook properly in my steamer. MUCH easier just to get plain brown rice takeout (cheap, too!)

Italian neo-realism truly became main stream with "Bitter Rice". Even fan magazines ran cheesecake photos of Mangano and articles like "Down to Earth Drama - and How!" featuring the ladies with skirts lifted in rice fields. It got American filmgoers into theatres like never before.And neo-realism was no longer Bicycle Thiefs and Shoe Shines.

I make 3 types of rice: White rice, which tends to come out sticky, but tastes good.

Sopa de Arroz: usually Mahatma white rice (as above) which I stir fry with a little oil and garlic, when golden I add chopped tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and peas, then I add chicken broth, cover and let simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. Comes out nearly as good as my mom's (who gave me the recipe).

Paella: Here I cheat (don't have the time to find saffron). I buy a box of Vigo Paella Rice Mix. I bring some water to a boil, throw in the contents of the bag (rice with all the spices), then the contents of the tin can (variety of seafood in oil), and add other ingredients (shrimp, chorizo, chicken), cover, and let simmer. In about 30 minutes tops, a great paella.

Now, Paella is a dish I will make during Lent (not for Mardi Gras), either Ash Wednesday, or a Friday in Lent. But my favorite Lenten dish is Tortas de Camarón con Nopales....yummy!

Edited by: Arturo on Feb 11, 2013 8:12 PM

Shrimp and cactus sandwiches? Never heard of 'em, but I'd certainly try them! Sounds good.

Sepia, given that your rice sticks to the bottom of the pan, I think you do need a better saucepan, one with a layered bottom, to spread out the heat.

*Shrimp and cactus sandwiches? Never heard of 'em, but I'd certainly try them! Sounds good.*

VX:

Not exactly. In this case the Torta is a patty, made with ground shrimp and egg, which are fried until fluffy. These are added to diced cactus, which are cooked in a red chile sauce. Delicious Mexican dish for Cuarezma, or Lent.

I know brown rice is better for you but I don't like it. Tastes too crunchy. UGH

Cook brown rice in Chicken Broth and it wll not taste bitter.

It needs to simmer for 45 minutes, as opposed to white rice which takes 30 min., then it won't taste "crunchy".

The reason it tastes "crunchy" is because it is 'undercooked'. :)

Twink

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> Not exactly. In this case the Torta is a patty, made with ground shrimp and egg, which are fried until fluffy. These are added to diced cactus, which are cooked in a red chile sauce. Delicious Mexican dish for Cuarezma, or Lent.

That sounds good, too. Actually, I do know that "torta" means many things besides sandwiches. Shouldn't have jumped to a conclusion.

I've always considered "neo-realism" as attached to a movie to be a kind of warning: "This movie might never get to the point, if indeed there IS a point to get to."

Sepiatone

Well, that would be a problem for me since I'm a vegetarian. I will try steaming it for a longer period then. (I thought I tried that).

Yes, instead of water...

1 cup brown rice

2 cups veg. broth (add a dash of Olive oil to keep rice from sticking)

Bring to a boil

Simmer 45 min. (stir half way through)

Easy Speasy!! :)

Twink

I'll have to experiment, since I steam mine in a steamer. But thanks for the tip!

For brown rice in a rice steamer I recommend soaking the rice for at least 30 minutes.

This helps ensure the rice isn't too 'dry' (hard). Of course that assume one likes sticky rice. (being that my mom was from Japan, where culturally we tend to like the sticky rice I lean in that direction)