Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Favorite Actresses:

I've noticed that my 'favorite' actress has changed as I've gotten older with the exception of Lillian Gish.

I fell in love with Lillian Gish when I was about 12 -the city I lived in had an old art deco theatre that showed silent movies every Sunday afternoon. It's been an ongoing 'love affair' ever since.

My other favorite actress is now Barbara Stanwyck-while for many years she was always in my top ten, the deck has shuffled and she has now moved to the top.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite is Catherine Spaak. In her mid-60's heyday, she was just fantastic. Besides Hotel, which has been show on TCM, it would be nice to see some of her classics like The Empty Canvas, The Easy Life, and The Warm Life.

I've always been partial to Ann-Margret, too, even though I have found some of her films to be real duds.

1. Gloria Grahame

2. Joan Bennett

3. Grace Kelly

4. Ingrid Bergman

5. Gene Tierney

6. Linda Darnell

7. Barbara Stanwyck

8. Carole Lombard

9. Ava Gardner

10. Myrna Loy

11. Rita Hayworth

12. Jean Arthur

13. Kim Novak

14. Deborah Kerr

15. Maureen O'Hara

16. Marlene Dietrich

17. Vivien Leigh

18. Madeleine Carroll

19. Marilyn Monroe

20. Claire Trevor

21. Jean Harlow

22. Thelma Ritter

23. Vera Miles

24. Gail Russell

25. Veronica Lake

My list would have to be Olivia De Havilland number one but I would be amiss not to include the following Gale Sondergaard Hillary Brooke Eve Arden Evelyn Ankers Anne Revere

Gloria Holden In general just about every supporing actress in a forties film.

Today I would go with Meryl Streep Toni Collette Rachel Griffiths

• 2 weeks later...

Barbara Stanwyck is a highly regarded actress and she's highest on my list of favorites. Once again, I'm appalled at the oversight in programming for the month of July. I eagerly scrolled down the program list to July 16th, Barbara Stanwyck's birthday and I'm disappointed to see no Barbara movies are scheduled on that day in honor of her.

This is an insulting oversight by TCM. I can't believe in this day and age with computers such a reminder would not be entered in the data base of stars' birthdays, especially a star of such magnitude. Yes I can watch my Barbara dvds on her birthday but it's not the same as I'll know other people are not enjoying the movie on TCM. She is an important part of film history. Please don't let it happen next year, too late to do anything now perhaps?

TCM doesn't have birthday tributes for routine birthdays. The reason is that starts are born each and every day of the year. TCM's programming would be dominated by birthday tributes and it would be difficult to support other theme type programing.

Stanwyck movies are on TCM all the time.

I have a liiittle bit of an obsession with classic actresses... I can't think of one I don't like, I love em' all!

However, these are my very favourites...

Audrey Hepburn

Greta Garbo

Grace Kelly

Ginger Rogers

Barbara Stanwyck

Katharine Hepburn

Olivia de Havilland

Judy Garland

Bette Davis

Vivien Leigh

Rita Hayworth

Lana Turner

Marilyn Monroe

Deborah Kerr

Joan Crawford

• 4 weeks later...

In no special order;

Barbara Stanwyck Joan Blondell

Marsha Hunt Ann Davorak

Linda Darnell

Margaret Lindsey

Ann Sheridan

Joan Bennett

Barbara Hale

Claire Trevor

Maureen O'Hara

Rhonda Fleming

Ellen Greer

Katharine Hepburn

Teresa Harris

Eleanor Parker

Patricia Medina

Patricia Morison

Vera Miles

Edited by: ArleneRaquel on Aug 2, 2013 11:19 PM

• 2 weeks later...

My all-time favorites are:

1 hedy lamarr

2 linda darnell

3 lana turner

4 susan hayward

5 bette davis

6 rita hayworth

7 jane russell

8 ida lupino

9 ann sheridan

10 mae west

11 joan crawford

12 merle oberon

13 alexis smith

14 yvonne decarlo

15 jennifer jones

16 vera ralston

17 kay francis

18 diana dors

19 constance bennett

20 joan bennett

21 dolores moran

22 moira lister

23 ella raines

24 joan fontaine

25 lizabeth scott

also love virginia mayo, evelyn ankers, maria montez, ruth roman, ellen drew, cyd charisse, margaret lockwood, many others...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Davis for her distinctive style

2. Stanwyck has the ability to get right into the male psyche-- there is no way you can hide any secrets from her

3. Crawford because she has the ability to convey every human emotion imaginable in one scene

4. Leigh becomes the character she plays--even though she barely changes her appearance in her movies, sometimes you feel like you are watching a different actress

• 1 month later...

............ Hey ... How about Carole Landis here! ... No one here seems to have even mentioned her in passing. ... I guess this crowd is made-up mostly of younger folks who don't recall hearing about or remember the sacriface that the girls of Hollywood made back in the 1940's for this nation. ... No one ever did more than did Carole Landis, bar none!

............ Miss Landis made more USO appearance and traveled more miles than did any other entertainer during World War II.

............ Extensively touring at both war fronts she was Affectionately nicknamed "The Blonde Bomber".

............ Boy ... They don't make them like that anymore!

20 in order:

1. Audrey Hepburn

2. Grace Kelly

3. Barbara Stanwyck

4. Carole Lombard

5. Lana Turner

6. Katharine Hepburn

7. Gene Tierney

8. Jean Arthur

9. Rachel McAdams

10. Joan Blondell

11. Priscilla Lane

12. Olivia de Havilland

13. Ingrid Bergman

14. Sandra Dee

15. Myrna Loy

16. Claudette Colbert

17. Scarlett Johansson

18. Donna Reed

19. Shirley Temple

20. Elizabeth Banks

5 more for kicks: Natalie Portman, Maureen O' Sullivan, Vera Miles, Linda Darnell, Joan Bennett