Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Actor John Mills passes away

It was reported today that distinguished actor Sir John Mills has passed away at age 97.

Mr. Mills won a best supporting Oscar as the village idiot in "Ryan's Daughter" and was in the films "Great Expectations", "Hobson'd Choice", "Tiger Bay", "Gandhi", among many others.

He is the father of Juliet Mills and Hayley Mills.

May he rest in peace.

Mongo

So sorry to see this.He was also in TUNES OF GLORY with Sir Alec Guiness. May he always be remembered!

Ken.

I have always been partial to British actors and Mills was definitely one of my favorites. He had a long distinguished career. He made his film debut in 1932. Apparently he appeared in approximately 125 films. Even though he was ill Mills worked right up to the end. He is simply wonderful in the David Lean films GREAT EXPECTATIONS and HOBSON'S CHOICE. It it interesting to note he is the last British actor from the golden age of the British cinema.

About 12-13 years ago I got to meet Mills when he came to L.A. with his daughters Hayley and Juliet to attend a special event. He signed some pictures for me. One thing people don't know is Mills had a fine singing voice. Anyone interested just listen to the original London cast album of THE GOOD COMPANIONS with music composed by Andre Previn and Johnny Mercer. As long as this great actor's films are shown he WILL always be remembered.

This is sad news. John Mills was a wonderful actor and man, and I offer my sincere Condolences to his family and closest of friends. He will always be remembered by many of us with appreciation and affection.

Mary Lou

To both Mongo & ML-(the latter of which we are glad to see back. Hope you are better?)-(P.S. to ML, things are looking brighter for this individual as well, my old friend!)

& Ironically, for those of whom know of Mr. Brad Lang & his superb Newsletter. This was the topic he & I were going-over about 1 month ago?

I had read somewhere that OSCAR winner & deservedly too>*John Mills, had already passed away in 1992, at age 84. & Mr. Lang, was citing his 97th birthday on his website. He was on the $$$ as we found-out the next day.

Well, as we know they generally go in 3's

Thank You-(to Mongo, of whom tipped this story)

More sad news; he was a great actor and he'll always be the definitive "Pip" ("Great Expectations") in my mind. He is resting in peace, I am sure of that.

To use the title of one of his best films, I hope he will be "So Well Remembered."

We had just finished watching "Cats" on tape(it's on my daughters favorites list)when we heard the news. After so many viewings she has come recognize the father of Pollyanna. He was a great one.

This is sad news indeed, although I didn't hear anything about it, just like I didn't see Ruth Hussey's passing reported anyplace except here. It's a shame that these legendary stars are being overlooked by today's media cesspool.

Sir John Mills was one of the most distinguished actors of the century, and was excellent in every film he did, especially "Great Expectations." His death is truly the end of an era as stated by someone else, since other great British actors in his league such as Laurence Olivier, Alec Guiness, and John Gielgud have all passed on.

It's nice to see that he had a long and full life.

May he rest in peace.

The Los Angeles Times had almost a full page on John Mills' passing. There was also a nice obit on Hussey. Its hard to believe newspapers would not make mention of the passing of these two stars.

Well, you guys are right about the papers. I was thinking about the T.V. news sources, which don't usually report the passing of classic stars. I didn't see anything on the NY news channels, which usually cover everything.

John Mills was the consumate actor, brillant and he loved to work! Even right up to his death he was working

His well deserved oscar for playing a senile old man was

the one year of the academy they got sooooo right!....

John Mills has done England proud. My sympathies to his

wife, Jonathan, Juliet, & Haley & close friends. There

will never be another John Mills but in effect there shouldn't be we had humanity's best God Had to offer...

Rest in Peace John applause, applause (standing ovation)

Dear sir John you 've earn it!........lolite.