Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So is Robert Osbourne slowly phasing himself out?

Maybe he could do a Cheshire Cat thing--slowly fade away until just his hair,

not his grin, is left. I like both Uncle Bob and the Mankman, but if there were

no host at all it wouldn't make that much of a difference really.

YT seems to have a lot more movies than they did a couple of years ago. I don't

really mind watching them on the computer. It beats not being able to watch them

at all. I trust no one is hoping to make something out of those old Clara Bow flicks.

Their number of views are pretty low, lower than most of the "junk" from the 1970s.

Much of The Fugitive and Alfred Hitchcock's TV shows are on for free. Is this a great

country or what?

And whoever reminded me the AMC guy's name was Bob Dorian....THANK YOU.

You're quite welcome, Sepiatone. I very much enjoyed Bob (and later Nick and even the guy whom I think now does Depend commercials, he was the Ben Mank of his day) and AMC back in the day. As I say below to Mr. Froy, it was a slower day, it was a calmer day, I had less channels and more patience. I had a channel that showed Molly Goldberg and Burns and Allen, and I videotaped ad nauseum and then threw out all those tapes since I couldn't figure out how to transfer to DVD.

Life is faster and bigger and better and noisier and busier and more progressive now ---- but I don't like it.

but if there were no host at all it wouldn't make that much of a difference really.

Sadly, I agree Mr. Froy. Back in the day of AMC, I sat, quietly and calmly (at least I think I did), and listened to Bob and then Nick. I subscribed to AMC's magazine, and read with interest Bob's pieces on the glory day of old movie theaters, which have probably now been torn down.

Now, I barely sit in my seat for 10 minutes at a time. I surf madly, and if I can't find something of interest (usually on Sundance or, heaven forbid, Cinemax can you believe it) I'm off to the computer or out the door with the dog. I have NO more patience for idiot programs and ad nauseum repeats of Vertigo on Encore or movies that aren't b&w on TCM. Needless to say, I won't sit and watch AMC or any other channel that has commercials.

Now, if and when TCM brings back the noon on Saturday B movies with Mank, I will admit that I sit and listen to him, since he usually shares a tidbit on the behind the scenes with these movies. I find RO annoying and usually turn him off.

Sad state of affairs, but that's life. Neither TCM nor any other marketing rep cares what I think, since I don't fit the 18-49 demographic. And guess what - I don't care.

It seems to me he's as active as ever. The only difference is he's shifting his time to live appearances

When he does retire, TCM could break new ground by teaming up with Pixar to give us the first full-time CGI host. He/she/it could be dressed appropriately for the movie being introduced, and their facial features and mannerisms could be tweaked subtly.

He has trouble with slurred speech at times, running things together in his mouse like much. (mouth>mush) Well, you get the idea. I hope he didn't have a slight stroke, I think he may have even had some work done. hm.

As for the TCM is it classic or crap? "The Big Chill"? "Close Encounters"?

Then something else from 1990... Come On!

The Big Chill was a crap show in it's time & has no place on TCM. Why not show the UK follow-up; "Peter's Freinds" with Fry & Laurie....? Seems about as likely.

> As for the TCM is it classic or crap? "The Big Chill"? "Close Encounters"?

> Then something else from 1990... Come On!

Every February, TCM celebrates the *31 Days of Oscar* (back in the late 1990s and the early 2000s it was celebrated in March when the Oscars were given out but when the Academy moved the awards ceremony to February, TCM followed suit).

The *31 Days* celebration covers the history of the Academy Awards and that means that films from 1927 to today's modern films are often included in the schedule.

It it usually the largest concentration of post-1960 films in a single month and why more films from the 1990s and 2000s are often included in the schedule.

I too have fond memories of Bob Dorian. AMC was first and that was the

only classic movie channel on my cable. I don't believe they picked up

TCM until much later after its 1994 debut. Bob was always a friendly and

witty presence. I watch TVLand sometimes and PBS and ID. The Documentary

Channel has some interesting films on sometimes. Cinemoi shows both old

and new movies and they often repeat them, so they have some interesting

things on. And if you don't mind watching movies on a computer, YT has lots

of films available.

Yeah The Big Chill was okay. Sooner or later somebody was probably going to

do a boomers get older and grow up (sort of). I like Return of the Secaucus Seven

better. More realistic and down to earth.

<Yeah The Big Chill was okay. Sooner or later somebody was probably going to

do a boomers get older and grow up (sort of). I like Return of the Secaucus Seven

better. More realistic and down to earth.>

Could agree more. Love John Sayles . . . and this was the film debut for David Strathairn in 1979.

Actually, THIS shows more classic films than either COZI or METV. In the last week or so, I've stumbled upon both THE BIG KNIFE and BRIEF ENCOUNTER, both with a lot of really annoying commercials.........These three channels are 248, 249, and 250 on my cable offering.

I thought the characters in "SECAUCUS" were too psuedo-hip and full of themselves. That over-analytical discussion the couple had after making love about what they've just done was an eye-roller for sure.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Mar 6, 2013 4:56 PM

LOL . . . it had its "clunky" moments, to be sure. But I think that's an ingredient that made it MUCH better than BC (which was slick and got all the critical/popl culture acclaim -- even though Kevin Costner was left on the cutting room floor.) (Besides, I CANNOT stand Meg Tilly or her sister, Jennifer!)

I don't remember the scene you mention (a good excuse to watch my DVD again).

Edited by: dpompper on Mar 6, 2013 6:11 PM

Of course Secaucus came first, but with its limited budget it never had the

hype that Chill had. Yes, some of the characters in Secaucus were a little

pretentious, but to me they were more believable than the millionaire running

shoe mogul, the action TV star, and the Time journalist, you know, just your

typical reunion group. I haven't seen Secaucus in a while either, so I need to

go back and watch it again.

I have DirecTV and I don't believe any of those are on it now. Cinemoi had

Blood on the Sun on last night, uncut and commercial free as the saying

goes. You never know what's going to turn up on that channel.

He does slur his speech a little. I often wondered if he suffers from some kind of chronic illness not publically revealed or went through a very mild stroke of some sort that caused that. Whatever it might be, it seems quite manageble right now and something that's not interferring with work to the point where he cannot continue.

I guess it's really none of our business...

I think once you get into your 80s though, you can make a bad turn pretty quick even from a mild cold. I really hope he stays as long as he wants, I do enjoy him on TCM. I guess a lot of us want to be selfish and want him on forever! hahah I guess that's not possible.

I DO remember when he was on "vacation" a couple of years back, it seemed to start to look like one of those "Mr. Gump" vacations. Then when he returned, he looked a bit different, and I thought he had some work done. I don't know. If he HAD a mild stroke, it would explain the slightly slurred speech, and the extended "vacation". I don't know why TCM wouldn't relate that information. Surely they realize that viewers actually don't LIVE like in the old movies they show, and would be supportive of Mr. Osbourne and send well wishes.

Anyway, I wonder why sometimes, his HAIR looks OK, and at other times it looks kinda hinkey.

Sepiatone

Just entering this so the spelling of Osborne gets corrected. I want to see Robert Osborne continue on for years to come. And I want him to work at whatever pace is comfortable for him.