Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mrroberts

Kim Novak

What was the name of that Figgis film? I dont think it played in my area. Must have had a spotty release. Did they talk about her 60s films AT ALL? (Kiss Me Stupid, Lylah Clare etc.) I could tell the Vertigo part at the end had been lifted from elsewhere in the interview as suddenly Kim was very composed. I agree the way it ended was rather sad and wistful.....

I wonder why they left that part about Joshua Logan out? I remember in his memoirs he said he had to pinch her to get her to show emotion in one scene. Kim disputed that, but I never heard her version of it......

Yes, that's it! I'd heard of it, but I dont think it got much of a release and disappeared quickly.

I had to "research" this myself Hibi...... it is not listed on the IMDB's, etc. The film was called Liebestraum (Dream of Love) - 1991. At the taping, she claims this experience was so difficult and she butted heads with Figgis so badly, she literally headed for the hills never to return (till TCM). This may be a little fuzzy now, but believe she said she thought Figgis was basing her part on his mother (I do not know why she felt that) but he did not see it that way. Something like that. That is why she did say last night "you have to know the vision of the director beforehand". What came through was a really difficult experience. One last thing, no, they did not discuss ANY of those films......

Edited by: StBartsActor on Mar 7, 2013 4:13 PM

> {quote:title=ForeverGarland wrote:}{quote}The Kim interview was just Amazing..she is such a wonderful and beautiful lady..so honest and candid about everything..i have always been a fan..so thankful this happened..thanks to Robert for his perfect interview skills..

>

> *. also to those of you that have to make rude comments about Kim's looks or think you have the right to say what you believe didn't look quite right..i say to you all..Get A Real Life! go look in your mirror and judge yourself and not another..your all very Ignorant and Stupid!*

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Kim Novak, your Beautiful and Amazing!

>

You know, I get a little tired of people who reprimand me or others for saying anything, ever, that may be the least bit critical or even just saying something isn't too, too wonderful.

Nothing is ever too, too, wonderful. People like you who say otherwise are people who gush. And who seemingly never allow themselves to have a single thought that isn't "everything is perfect and I don't want anyone to say otherwise."

I am neither stupid nor ignorant, and I have never suggested anyone who posts on these boards is. (hmm, is that entirely true? Ok, I am a cruel bloke, but fair...)

I did say, although not in exactly those words, that Kim Novak was "beautiful and amazing". I spoke very respectfully about her. In fact, I believe I am the only one so far to have paid enough attention to what she said to comment, positively, about her attitude towards acting, what it means to her, what it's all about. I respect her so much for always "being herself" in her films.

I never said anything nasty about her at all, and it is you who appear "stupid and ignorant" by insulting me . It makes me think you either did not read my posts about this carefully, or that you are simply incapable of comprehending any kind of subtlety on this or any other matter.

All I said , basically, was, that she was beautiful when she was young, and that I suspect she would have been still beautiful, although in an 80-year-old way, if she had simply left her face alone. Wrinkles, lines, and other signs of age can make a person's face beautiful and interesting in a way different from the beauty of youth. I was simply lamenting the fact that she seemed to feel the need to change her fine face, because she was no longer young.

Everything I said about this lady was respectful and affectionate.

So deal with it.

:0 :D I couldn't write this until now. While nobody could ever mistake me for her in body she is my emotional Doppelganger. Our backgrounds are so much alike it seemed as if we were both talking at once. I was never really a fan of hers until last night when I saw what she dealt with and overcame to get where she now is. She is a courageous survivor of real integrity and inspiration to all dealing with bipolarism and insecurity. I still might not be certain about her talent but she's one great human being. I appreciate her finally being able to open up and share her life experiences. Thank you, Lady, and God bless you, your husband and your critters. You are loved and with good reason.

I really enjoyed her sprinted defense of Harry Cohn and Alfred Hitchcock. I can never think of Cohn as the total sob I've always heard he was or Hitchcock just through Tippi Hedren's eyes. Columbia was the studio of the 50s with all the Oscar winners of the era; it was sad it collapsed so quickly when Cohn died. As for Hitchcock, as Kim told it he had respect for her instincts and personal insights which doesn't sound like a monster. Perhaps other actors needed more structured direction to shine.

What a night that was! Thank you, TCM.

Please forgive me if this is off topic or already answered somewhere else, but please tell me it will be aired again! I forgot to set my DVR and we missed both airings due to a prior engagement.

Does anyone know if or when it will be aired again?

thank you.

Hi, Hibi.......I had never heard of Liebestraum. It popped up on Comcast on Demand about 3 years ago, and I watched it specifically to see Kim Novak. It's somewhat of an off-beat thriller which I thoroughly enjoyed. I thought Kim was great in it, and whenever it would pop up on Demand I would watch it. I had to downgrade my cable subscription, so I have not seen it in about a year. But it will most likely show up again. The film also boasts a great 90's musical score climaxing with a young girl actually playing Liszt's piece at a critical point in the film. I highly recommend the movie to anyone who is a fan of film noir................................

I just watched the Kim Novak interview (recorded from last night). It certainly was very moving. She is certainly a very honest and sensitive person, I can understand why she has shied away from interviews in the past. Obviously Robert Osborne had everything to do with pulling this off, she felt comfortable doing this with him. And while some would say he was throwing slowpitch questions to her, he did a great job getting the most out of this interview. I found it very revealing that she referred several times to the Madge character in "Picnic", how she identified so closely to that character. And that all she has ever wanted from people is for them to like her. Not in a idolizing the big movie star way, just an honest caring way. I read sometime ago that when she had to change her name from Marilyn she thought of Kim Hunter , who she admired, and the idea that "Kim" was a nice , friendly name. And she definitely wanted to keep her "Novak" name even though at the time it sounded too "ethnic". Speaking of Marilyn Monroe, I believe Kim was greatly affected by Marilyn's death and wanted to avoid being another casuality of Hollywood. The most important thing is that Kim found her place and what would make her happy in her life. And after all of these years she can now look back and reflect on her whole life. -- Ps; I really liked the reference KIm made to Lee Remick and how much she admired how Lee handled her career.

>Obviously Robert Osborne had everything to do with pulling this off, she felt comfortable doing this with him. And while some would say he was throwing slowpitch questions to her, he did a great job getting the most out of this interview.

I'm very glad you said that, because this is a special technique of his. His questions seem to be very light and soft, but they really aren't, because he knows the psychological effect his special kinds of questions will have on his interview subject.

A regular network TV news reporter would have hit her with the insanity in the family question too hard, and she would have frozen up. But he coaxed it out of her by asking her, gently, about her family and her childhood, not even knowing what she might say, but knowing that now that she is relaxed, she might say some things about her family that she has never said publicly before.

He did the very same thing with his interview with Betty Hutton and he got some amazing responses from her and some amazing revelations.

This is no accident with Bob. He knows exactly what he is doing. That's why he suddenly shuts up when he hears her telling some very personal and revealing stories about herself and her family life. He says nothing at all for as long as she is talking these personal subjects. No response from him at all, because he doesn't want to break her story up with un-needed comments from himself.

It may seem as if he is asking her light questions, well, he is, but for a reason, and in the right sequence, and in ways that are designed to get her to open up and say things in public that she has never said before.

Robert O. shows a level of compassion for his guest and he's not out to score with a gotcha kind of question. So they feel comfortable knowing of his reputation and are more likely to open up and talk freely. And you're right Fred, he knows when to keep his mouth shut and let the person set their own pace. And how to continue the conversation by asking the proper followup question, or maybe steer the talk in a different direction to keep things comfortable. Johnny Carson was also very good at doing interviews in a similar way.

> They kept saying "sorry, just a little longer and we will let you in, but we are trying to get everythig just perfect". So in we go and what the heck - there is a potted plant and two chairs.

Delays like that can sometimes be not from time needed for dressing the set but technical difficulties like a bad microphone that has to be replaced at the last minute, lighting difficulties, a camera problem as well as delays due to the talent (ie, Luis Rainer the first year of the Festival).

Totally agree....... the Festival does an incredible job of making EVERYTHING seem so seamless! Thanks for pointing that out as I wanted to make that clearer.

Thanks for the review. If I ever see it in my cable guide (not getting my hopes up) I'll definitely record it. I dont subscribe to any of the pay cable stations. Maybe TCM someday will run it, who knows?

Does anyone know who RO will be interviewing at this year's Festival???

Good points. I never realized what a good interviewer he is. He could hold his own with the best interviewers in the news media, whoever they might be.

Since you never realized (?, OY) what a good interviewer RO is , why not trust his judgement when it comes to Drew ? He's crazy about her and thinks she's doing a great job

I was very impressed with Kim Novak's looks. I really did not think she had plastic surgery if she did what a great job. Betty Hutton's interview was also very touching and she didn't look anything like she did when she was younger, her voice was the same. Ginger Rogers was the same, grew naturally older but her voice remained the same. I do think some people are blessed with great genes, almost a fluke of nature. Cindy Crawford is so beautiful but her mother and sisters are shorter and more common looking. It seems that a lot of Hollywood people have mental illness, I don't know if the Hollywood lifestyle, demands contribute to this. The women have to remain so very thin.

Sorry, but my feelings for RO dont translate to Drew (LOL). I dont hate her, but I dont like to watch her. Too Valley Girlish. She seems like a nice person.....

I do know that Ann Blyth, Jane Fonda & Max Von Sydow are all scheduled to be there and feted in some fashion. Not sure who will get the "big" interview spot, but my guess would be Max Von........

Yes, I'd heard Fonda would be there, but since RO has already interviewed her, crossed her off. I'd be more interested in hearing what Blyth had to say than Max. Guess we'll have to see.

*"Not sure who will get the "big" interview spot, but my guess would be Max Von..."* - StBartsActor

I was beginning to think there may not be a Festival interview this year. But TCM still has the Avalon listed as a venue for this year's event so I guess they are planning on using it for something.

I just looked through old emails and saw that Kim Novak's appearance and interview were announced last year on March 6th. So it is possible that the "Featured Special Guest" announcement may be still to come.

Prior to the Kim Novak announcement on March 6th, the major Festival Programming that had been announced was the Opening Night Gala w/ Minnelli and crew, the Paramount Pictures Anniversary Tribute, the Film Noir Events with Marsha Hunt and others in attendance and the Cinerama Screening at the Dome. There is still a lot to learn for 2013 attendees.

Who knows what surprises TCM may still have in store -- especially regarding the use of the El Capitan (What A Coup!) and the likelihood that the Festival will screen a Disney Classic or two in that space. (Or maybe something to complement *Oz, The Great And Powerful* which is screening there at the same time? Hmmm.)

I expect another email blast to be forthcoming in the next two weeks.

Look, I know by now that no one but myself is interested in talking about Kim's "facework". Fair enough. I guess the rest of you think it's disrespectful to even mention or talk about it, and anyway, there are other far more worthy aspects of Kim and Osborne's interview to discuss. This forum isn't one of those dopey cheap "entertainment news" shows where people's personal lifes and their foibles are investigated with goulish delight.

The only reason I'm still talking about it, posting this, is because I think the more people come out and say there's nothing wrong with ageing, it's part of life, old faces are good, the less ageing stars and others (anyone, for that matter, who has the insecurity about their looks and the money) will think it's necessary to do this to themselves.

Sometimes I worry about how much people, especially women, whatever their age, want to alter their looks. If this keeps up some day we'll have thousands of Barbie dolls walking around, and none of them a day over 30. (kind of like that Michael York film.)

Again, I respect Kim Novak, and I realize how courageous it was of her to do that interview. Good for her. Also, she's clearly a talented artist. I never knew that before.