• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Eleanor Parker as SOTM June 2013

1ep.png

_June 3_

BUSSES ROAR (1942)..Richard Travis, Julie Bishop, Charles Drake. Eleanor is 4th billed. This was her first film, or at least the first one of hers that was released at Warner Brothers.

THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU (1944)..Dennis Morgan, Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark. She would work with Dane Clark again.

BETWEEN TWO WORLDS (1944)..John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Paul Henreid. A remake of an earlier WB hit. She would costar with Garfield again and with Henreid again.

MISSION TO MOSCOW (1943)..Walter Huston, Ann Harding, Oscar Homolka. Eleanor has a very small part.

CRIME BY NIGHT (1944)..Jane Wyman, Jerome Cowan, Faye Emerson. Eleanor is 4th billed.

THE LAST RIDE (1944)..Richard Travis, Charles Lang, Eleanor Parker. B-flick.

THE MYSTERIOUS DOCTOR (1944)..John Loder, Eleanor Parker, Bruce Lester. Another one made before she was upgraded to A-films.

_June 4_

HOLLYWOOD CANTEEN (1944)..Bette Davis, John Garfield, Joan Leslie. Eleanor has a featured part in this all-star revue.

_June 10_

CAGED (1950)..Eleanor Parker, Agnes Moorehead, Ellen Corby. Eleanor Parker's first Oscar nomination as best actress.

CHAIN LIGHTNING (1950)..Humphrey Bogart, Eleanor Parker, Raymond Massey. Her only starring role with Bogart.

OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1946)..Paul Henreid, Eleanor Parker, Alexis Smith. One of many remakes of Maugham's classic story. She takes the part previously played by Bette Davis.

NEVER SAY GOODBYE (1946)..Errol Flynn, Eleanor Parker, Lucile Watson. The first of two films costarring with Flynn.

PRIDE OF THE MARINES (1945)..John Garfield, Eleanor Parker, Dane Clark. Based on a real-life story.

ESCAPE ME NEVER (1947)..Errol Flynn, Ida Lupino, Eleanor Parker. Second and last costarring role with Flynn.

_June 11_

ONE FOR THE BOOK (1947)..Ronald Reagan, Eleanor Parker, Eve Arden. Sometimes known as THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE, which was the name of the stage play.

THE WOMAN IN WHITE (1948)..Alexis Smith, Eleanor Parker, Sydney Greenstreet. Based on Wilkie Collins' famous story.

IT'S A GREAT FEELING (1949)..Dennis Morgan, Doris Day, Jack Carson. Eleanor has a cameo.

_June 17_

SCARAMOUCHE (1952)..Stewart Granger, Eleanor Parker, Janet Leigh. She's now at MGM, starring in this classic remake. She would costar with Janet Leigh again.

INTERRUPTED MELODY (1955)..Glenn Ford, Eleanor Parker, Roger Moore. Her third and final Oscar nomination as best actress.

HOME FROM THE HILL (1960)..Robert Mitchum, Eleanor Parker, George Peppard. Her only film with Mitchum.

LIZZIE (1957)..Eleanor Parker, Richard Boone, Joan Blondell. One of her more interesting roles.

HOW TO STEAL THE WORLD (1968)..Robert Vaughn, David McCallum, Barry Sullivan. She is 5th billed.

_June 18_

THE SEVENTH SIN (1957)..Eleanor Parker, Bill Travers, George Sanders. Her only film with Sanders.

MANY RIVERS TO CROSS (1955)..Robert Taylor, Eleanor Parker, Victor McLaglen. A western, her third and final film with Taylor.

VALLEY OF THE KINGS (1954)..Robert Taylor, Eleanor Parker, Carlos Thompson. Second film with Taylor.

ABOVE AND BEYOND (1953)..Robert Taylor, Eleanor Parker, James Whitmore. Her first pairing with Taylor.

_June 24_

DETECTIVE STORY (1951)..Kirk Douglas, Eleanor Parker, William Bendix. She received her second Oscar nomination as best actress for this picture. Filmed at Paramount.

A MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY (1951)..Fred MacMurray, Eleanor Parker, Richard Carlson. A rare comedy role.

VALENTINO (1951)..Eleanor Parker, Richard Carlson, Patricia Medina. At Columbia, she is reteamed on screen with Carlson.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1956)..Frank Sinatra, Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak. Directed by Otto Preminger.

THE KING AND FOUR QUEENS (1956)..Clark Gable, Eleanor Parker, Jo Van Fleet. Her last western and only film with Gable.

A HOLE IN THE HEAD (1959)..Frank Sinatra, Edward G. Robinson, Eleanor Parker. Reteamed with Sinatra.

_June 25_

AN AMERICAN DREAM (1966)..Stuart Whitman, Janet Leigh, Eleanor Parker. She returns to Warners for this one.

THE OSCAR (1966)..Stephen Boyd, Elke Sommer, Milton Berle. She is 4th billed. She would continue to make feature films until 1969. In the 1970s and 1980s she would find work in made-for-television movies.

Beautiful picture. No Voice of the Turtle? That's disappointing!

I've just added more information. VOICE OF THE TURTLE is listed under its other title, ONE FOR THE BOOK. Don't ask me why Warners changed the name.

Oh, good! Thanks. I havent seen that one in a very long time.

Wow, when was that pic taken? That does not look like my idea of Eleanor Parker.

I suppose she was a good actress, everyone seems to think so. I just wonder why she was stuck with so many whiney roles. I'm afraid I think of her as a woeful clingy passive whiner.. Wonder why they cast her as that type in so many of her films?

Take *Between Two Worlds*; she has this anxious furrowed look on her face in almost every scene. And why didn't she just open the windows and wake her husband up, instead of giving up and literally laying down too?

I know this is unfair of me, it's the character she played, she's just following the script. But maybe another actress could have injected a little more spirit into the person she played, somehow.

Still, there are a lot of films on that list I haven't seen. Guess I should give her another chance.

Miss W. I think that you'd enjoy her performance in *Scaramouche* . Not only strinkingly beautiful in the film, she also plays a very strong and feisty woman.

Right you are, lavender, *Scaramouche*, June 17th. I've never seen it. I'll mark it on my calendar. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

>VOICE OF THE TURTLE is listed under its other title, ONE FOR THE BOOK. Don't ask me why Warners changed the name.

Perhaps they didn't want the movie confused with Flo & Eddie after they hit it big with "Happy Together" ?! ;)

(...which reminds me..Eleanor, gee I think you're swell...but WHY did they ALWAYS have ya playin' that clingy and whiny type, HUH?!)

Sorry to further derail this thread, but Dargo opened the door.......The best song the Turtles ever did was "She's My Girl".

>Sorry to further derail this thread, but Dargo opened the door.

No. That does not seem like an acceptable reason to go off-topic. There are plenty of other nonsense threads on the board. Let's keep this one focused. Thanks.

"Imagine me and you, I do

Derailing threads day and night, it just ain't right..."

;)

Dargo,

I know you are trying to be clever and provide some light-hearted moments, which we certainly appreciate. But I would kindly ask you to add information about Eleanor Parker and her films to this thread.

It would be great if you could research the reason Warner Brothers tried to market THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE under another title. People could really benefit from knowing about it. Thanks.

--Imagine me and you, I do--

--Derailing threads day and night, it just ain't right...--

Dargo,

Please stop. Thank you.

Well TB, then like I said in my parenthetical line down there...Why did they always have poor Eleanor playin' that "clingy and whiny" type?

Okay, maybe not ALWAYS, but you know what I mean, RIGHT?!

In fact, just last night I watched The Man With the Golden Arm on TCM for the first time in many a year, and yep, Eleanor true to form was cast as Sinatra's "clingy and whiny" wife.

(...so answer me THAT! )

She sort of spoofs that image in A MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY, where she is v-e-r-y clingy and gives poor Fred MacMurray a terrible time!

This is a photo of Eleanor Parker I like a lot. This is how I think of her:

th-481.jpg

Yeah, and like I ALSO said down there, "Eleanor, gee I think you're swell"...meaning, I always thought she was quite the beauty, too.

Maybe it was her voice pattern and pitch which seemed to typecast her those kinds of roles, eh?!

(...btw, ya know which modern day actress I think resembles her?...Tea Leoni...hope that isn't construed as a sidetracking)

Tea Leoni does seem to be that 'type' too.

Of course, Eleanor Parker matured and by the time she reaches THE SOUND OF MUSIC, she is specializing in more confident, sophisticated women. In AN AMERICAN DREAM, she is both sophisticated _and_ desperate.

Maybe she just enjoyed playing these kinds of characters.

That film was the pinnacle of that role for Eleanor. But to be fair, she didnt always play that type. It seemed it was more as she got older she got stuck with that stereotypical role...

Not sure I'm following you when you say "Maybe she just enjoyed playing these kinds of characters".

Are you saying Eleanor asked for those type of roles? Isn't it more likely that producers saw that she was very good playing certain roles and casts her in those roles and she was not one to fight back (i.e. go on suspension especially in the 50s where there were less opportunities for actors).

I relates this to the comments Kim Novak made last night about not being a fighter as it relates to getting certain parts and how she wished she had gotten some of the roles Lee Remick stared in.

I'm a fan of Eleanor and as you noted she did more than many people may realize. But as is true with many stars they are often remembered best for their typecast roles.

Obviously, none of us can speak for her. But I know that if I were a well-known performer and I had the chance to do a part in a film that was sure to be a hit and it was a type of character I liked playing anyway, I would say who cares about typecasting, sign me up! I'd rather do something I would be good at doing, than to try something that might be way out of my league and not something my fans would accept.

Not everyone detested being typecast. For some, it was a specialization, their calling card. And they liked the notoriety that came with it.