Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jay Robinson AKA Caligula

slappy3500

I was watching the 1992 Coppola version of "Dracula" last nite and noticed one of my favorite character actors Jay Robinson. He is best known for playing the deliciously evil Caligula in "The Robe" which he reprised in the sequel "Demetrius and the Gladiators." Just thought I'd mention him while he's still alive (75). Hate reading obits about people whom I'd thought were long dead.

a lot.

Always look for him in things, although he looks little like he did in the 1950's incarnation. His many years of inactivity on film, due to his offscreen problems, has not hurt his still impressive talent.

Though I kind of go for the John Hurt version of the bloodthirsty ruler, in the BBC production of "I, Caligula" I always enjoy seeing or hearing Jay Robinson in anything. Hasn't he been doing a lot of voiced narration on some show or documentaries for the last ten or so years?

Slappy, I've enjoyed Jay Robinson's slithering since I was a kid, though his '50s style Roman decadence now he seems a bit tame, alas.

Of course, if one were to search out the performance of John Hurt as Caligula on video, it would be best to look it up under its actual title, "I, Claudius"--though Mr. Hurt almost stole the show for at least several episodes and the "I, Caligula" title might have been the actor's preference as well!

;)

I also enjoyed Hurt as Caligula. His love for his sister Drusilla really left me feeling uncomfortable. Hmmm, nobody mentioned Malcom MacDowell's Caligula. I guess his performance suggested only that of Alex Delarge from " A Clockwork Orange" had he ever acchieved absolute power...

Archived