Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Funny Black and White Shorts Need Help

Ok in the mid 70's I would skip school sometimes and watch the noon mid day movie. It was always something good from 40s or so, Tarzan, Mighty Joe Young etc.

Almost every time either right before the movie or after there would be some sort of funny black and white short that looked like they were shot In the 40's or so. It was always the same narrator and I remember him saying, things like "Oh brother" a lot. I want to say they also come on randomly on TCM as well. Any help would be appreciated on what these are!

Also, I have a faint memory of some sort of history shorts that always had really cool endings kind of like The Rest of the Story by Paul Harvey. Help with this would be great too.

Nightwalker is correct that John Nesbitt's "Passing Parade" films are likely one of the other series you are remembering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Nesbitt_(announcer)

Another Producer/Writer of specialty shorts at MGM was Carey Wilson. He did many of the "O'Henry-esque" stories with a twist at the end and also a popular series of films on the prophecies of Nostradamus, among other subjects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carey_Wilson_(writer)

TCM produced a documentary on studio-era shorts about a decade ago. I think it is called --"Coming Attractions"-- "Added Attractions" and hear it is a "bonus feature" on a DVD for some movie.

A little research on YouTube or Archive.org using the above names may turn up some films that you can view online.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Mar 13, 2013 8:31 PM