Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
edgedrv

MARIA SCHELL DIES AT 79

Well, they say things come in three's and sadly a third film star has died. International film actress Maria Schell was the sister of Oscar winning Maximillian Schell. The Austrian born Schell's career peaked in the 1950s. She came to Hollywood and appeared in such films as THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV and THE HANGING TREE. Other notable films include THE MARK, THE MAGIC BOX, GERVAISE and more recently in SUPERMAN. In all the actress appeared in some 70 films. Brother Maximillian idolized his sister and in 2002 he filmed the little seen documentary MY SISTER MARIA. Maxillian tells how his sister suffered emotional problems and in her last years lived reclusively spending most of her time in front of the TV watching her old movies.

to hear.

I always thought she had an unusual quiet beauty, and I enjoyed all of her roles in bigger films that you mention, and particularly in "The Mark" which is a sadly overlooked film from the early Sixties, in which Stuart Whitman plays a potential child molester hoping to be cured, with Maria as a support system.

Great movie and she is wonderful in it.

Thanks for posting this, Edgdrv!

therealfuster, I forgot to mention I met Max Schell in the early 90s when I was autograph collecting. When I asked about his sister Maria his eyes lit up! Little did I know that Maria was ill at that time. Sadly the newspaper reported the actress attempted suicide about the time I met her brother. I always thought Maria Schell had a delicateness about her. Unfortunately, many people probably have forgotten this actress since her films rarely play on TV in this country.

May i wish Max Schell lot s of comfort at this time of his grief. Marie was like a delicate flower that couldn't handle the realities & harshness of the world

around her. A brilliant talent everytime on film she gave so much of herself that i felt captivated everytime!

But i also felt since she gave so much on film of herself

that there was nothing left of herself for herself....

I wish happy memories of her for max, close friends and family. Maria is resting in peace now... loliteblue.