Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

Tootsie ??? not AGAIN!

Totally disagree. I LOVE *Tootsie* . I think it's a hoot. I'm glad TCM is showing it tonight. I can't find my tape and missed it the last time it was shown. Thanks, TCM!

I like "Tootsie" a lot. Bravo to Dustin Hoffman. What an acting challenge. Agreed, finance, I think those scenes ARE the funniest -- but I find many others, too.

I read on one of the other threads about Esther Williams' accusations that Jeff Chandler cross-dressed. Never had heard that.

Many articles of women's clothing can be VERY uncomfortable.

OK, but if that's all you got out of *Tootsie* was cross dressing, I think maybe you need to re-watch the film. Good thing it's being shown again tonite, TCM had you in mind when they chose it as an Essential. LOL. Best comedy of the 80's as far as I'm concerned. The scenes between Sidney Pollack and Hoffman are priceless.

I've said before that in the same year as TOOTSIE, i thought VICTOR/VICTORIA is far superior........and I do like Hoffman. I think he's one of the best post-1965 actors.

Dustin is without a doubt one of the finest actors to grace the screen post 1965, and I respect the fact that you love the film *Victor, Victoria* But that's not a reason to also not enjoy *Tootsie* . What the hey, I love *Tootsie* , I'm thrilled it's on tonite. :)

I could site so many more scene's, but I don't want us to do a spoiler for Eugenia since she'll be seeing the film for the first time tonite. Let's continue this discussion, tomorrow,

I've always liked this movie. Two main reasons:

1. Hoffmann convincingly pulls off the transition between being a man and a woman. Too many, even the admitted "cross dressers" over exaggerate the femininity.

2. His woman character closely resembles one of my favorite high school English teachers, an excellent educator and highly respected by all her students.

But the only problem I have now with it is in concentration. I keep hearing in my head the song satirist MARK RUSSELL wrote that year, "TOOTSIE FOR PRESIDENT" and the line, "With Dustin Hoffman as your running mate, you'll pick up twice the pay!"

I always liked Bill Murray's line in the movie, "You...****!"

Sepiatone

*I don't want us to do a spoiler for Eugenia since she'll be seeing the film for the first time tonite.*

Lav - I've seen this film many times, but haven't seen it in years. :) Looking forward to seeing it again.

I like this movie too but I doubt in real life what he did could be pulled off by anyone with his male body. He was too exposed to cameras and other people to last that long with his "secret". And the dumb room-mate would have blown it by then anyways.

So many great scene's, Dustin and Sidney in Sidney's office before the Russian Tea Room scene. Dustin going on on how he was a great tomato, and played vegetables better than anyone else. He was a great endive!!!! LOL.

*"it is an okay movie but it was just on recently"*

Yes. It was shown February 24th. But that was the night of the Oscars so I am betting a lot film fans were not watching TCM at 8pm that Sunday.

I liked Tootsie, and Hoffman was quite believable as a middle-aged woman, but what he did to Terry Garr's character was unforgivable. She even said - "give me my pain now" - and he's too busy trying to prove a point to tell her the truth in any timely fashion.

My favorite line of the film is from Bill Murray - "That's one nutty hospital". Everybody knows someone like his character. He thinks he's a great philosopher when he's just a chronically unemployed bag of wind - but at least he's an amusing bag of wind.

That's Exactly right, kyle. I was watching the Oscars and couldn't tape *Tootsie* , so grateful TCM is showing it again tonite I think that was a great programming decision to reshow a film that was shown the same night as the Oscars. Good going, programmers.

Lavender, I've noticed that good( or great) actors playing so-so to good out of work actors seems to be a difficult thing for some to do. Especially if that actor character has too huge an ego.

Hoffmann in *Tootsie* did a fine job of it. His only "competitor" in this aspect is RICHARD DREYFUS in both *The Goodbye Girl* and *Moon Over Parador* .

Sepiatone

Good point, and such a good example of Dreyfus in *The Goodbye Girl* . You've also made my point that I was making to finance about how *Tootsie* is not a film about cross dressing. That's really what *Tootsie* is about. ;)

Reading these posts, I am inspired to create a special Classic Daily Double, just for all of you!

images-2.jpg

images-5.jpg

*Mrs. Doubtfire* was a very funny film, but not the ending. I always tear up at the ending of the film, when Robin on his tv show answers a letter to a child who has written him. He talks about how there are so many different families and all are wonderful, and there is no norm. It's a touching ending.

I liked "DOUBTFIRE" ok, although that restraunt scene towards the end was overstretching it a bit.

Just loved the part earlier when William's, in full "Doubtfire" regalia was dancing around the house to Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like A Lady"!

Sepiatone

I looked on amazon and this DVD is $4.99. For that price I ordered it!

Update: I had forgotten that my friends had taken me to the restaurant in California where "Doubtfire" was filmed. I hadn't seen the movie but my friends kept raving about it... I'm glad I listened to them and watched it myself.

Edited by: EugeniaH on Mar 16, 2013 11:21 AM