Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

Tootsie ??? not AGAIN!

>Many articles of women's clothing can be VERY uncomfortable.

Yeah dp! Ya got THAT right!

(...and though very flattering, those stays on these latest edition Victoria Secret Merry Widow corsets can ESPECIALLY be a REAL problem sometimes, huh?!...OUCH!!!)

LOL

For an interesting diversion before tonight's showing of *Tootsie* as an Essential (and with the hope that it might mute any Drew-bashing), here's a previous introduction to *Tootsie* as an Essential.

It was introduced by Sydney Pollack.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/74398/Tootsie-Sydney-Pollack-Introduction.html

And just for fun and comparison, here's Sydney Pollack's Essential intro for *Some Like It Hot*.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/79710/Some-Like-It-Hot-Sydney-Pollack-Introduction.html

I agree, an ok movie. I just never warmed up to it very much.

I think I'll go look for a copy of Soapdish to watch instead.

Brian

> {quote:title=brianNH wrote:}{quote}I agree, an ok movie. I just never warmed up to it very much.

>

> I think I'll go look for a copy of Soapdish to watch instead.

>

> Brian

Me, I'm catching up on my Torchy Blanes in big chunks. I'll take Glenda Farrell, Barton MacLane, and Tom Kennedy any day over any movie Dustin Hoffman ever played in, no matter whether he's wearing pants or a dress.

it is an okay movie but it was just on recently

enough already with Tootsie

sigh

Agreed. Although I do like Dustin Hoffman. A nice man. He was visiting Scripps Hospital in San Diego one day visiting his mother, I think, and a nurse came flying out of a room to try to get a look at him, slipped and broke her ankle. When he heard about it he went out of his way to find her and say hello. She almost fainted when he came strolling into the room. He was big stuff then and it was a thrill for her. Nice gesture.

As said earlier, it's been a long time since I've seen this movie, but watched it again tonight. I don't think it has dated any in the writing, and as others have said the 'crossdressing' theme is secondary to the other themes. Aside from the commentary about relationships between men and women, I liked getting an "insider's view" of an actor's life, and trying to make it, etc. Dustin Hoffman is really a terrific actor. "Kramer Vs. Kramer" is another great movie he's done. I love Bill Murray's underplayed, sardonic wit, and Jessica Lange was great, too,

For me the best part of the movie was the end, at the live taping of the soap...

Yes, the scene of Dorothy coming down the stairs and revealing herself is classic. I've always felt that it was too bad that Dustin Hoffman was up against Ben Kingsley for the Best Actor Oscar. His performance as far as I'm concerned was Oscar worthy. Great film, great comedy.

*Yes, the scene of Dorothy coming down the stairs and revealing herself is classic.*

And the reactions of the others! I loved it when Teri Garr broke out in a scream, LOL!

When Dabney Colman says, Oh No! here come the terms.LOL. The first time Dorothy is on the soap, and the producer says to the camerman "I'd like to make her look a littler more attractive how far came you pull back" and the cameraman replies "How do you feel about Cleveland!" that line is just too funny.

LOL. Same thing when Michael is explaining it to a confused George! I could go one for hours with you. A great, great classic comedy. Did you hear RO say that the AFI rated *Tootsie* the 2nd greatest comedy after *Some Like It Hot* . So Genie, I guess we're in good company on this one. :)

Take a look at the clip posted below in this string. Pollack comedically addresses this conflict-of-interest issue.

I tried to cut/paste the link posted earlier by hly, but was unsuccessful after two attempts.

Edited by: dpompper on Mar 17, 2013 1:35 PM

Edited by: dpompper on Mar 17, 2013 1:38 PM

Edited by: dpompper on Mar 17, 2013 1:39 PM

*Tootsie* is #2. on the AFI's list of greatest comedies of all time, right after *Some Like It Hot* . It was considered an *Essential* whether Syndey Pollack was the host chosen or not. You should definitely watch the clip. (didn't mean that for dppomper, meant for fi)

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Mar 17, 2013 1:40 PM

*"Sydney Pollack was instrumental in selecting TOOTSIE as an Essential? Is that a conflict of interest, or what?"* - finance

TCM asked him to intro *Tootsie* for his season of The Esentials and he said "No." They asked him again saying they REALLY wanted him to do it so he agreed.

He "justified" doing it by noting that the other films selected as the Top Four Comedies by the AFI were being presented to it did make sense to include his film too.

Top Comedies by the AFI

1. *Some Like It Hot*

2. *Tootsie*

3. *Dr. Strangelove...*

4. *Annie Hall*

Just a general reply, to all:

Why should it matter if there is a slight 'conflict of interest?' When Shirley Jones was guest programmer a few years ago, she selected ELMER GANTRY. I thought it was great that she did. After all, she worked on the film and being on the set, she had first-hand knowledge and could provide insights that others might not have.

When Cher was guest programmer, I would not have minded her selecting MOONSTRUCK over HOBSON'S CHOICE for the very same reason. It provides authenticity, having a performer from the film comment on it. So what if it's a 'conflict of interest...?'

There is something very strange about the two comedies chosen as the best (or funniest?) of all time both being cross-dressing comedies..........Put a man in a dress, and roll on the floor?

I'm on the verge of being burned out with visiting this board if there are never any things more interesting to talk about than a certain movie got played more than once within a relatively short period of time. TOOTSIE is inarguably a classic, in my opinion, very likely, as one poster suggested, the funniest movie of the '80s. I have no problem with it appearing as an essential. Glad to see so many posters rally around it after the original poster was down on it. Yes, it was just shown during 31 Days, but as was also pointed out, it got the unfortunate slot of being in direct competition with the actual Oscar ceremony. I think it's likely programmers gave us viewers another shot at seeing it because of that.

There was another thread on here where I believe it was shown that no movie was shown on TCM more than seven times in 2012. Barely more than once every two months. I think the complainers about frequency of airings don't really appreciate how much diversity there actually is on the network.

The thing about The Essentials is not so much the possibility that we fans of TCM are going to be able to see a premier to TCM or films that have not had much air play, but rather the whole purpose of The Essentials is to showcase "essential" films that both Robert Osborne and Drew Barrymore deem to be essential in the first place.

From what I have learned is that both hosts formulate before each new season of The Essentials, a list of films that they want to be included. After reviewing the list, TCM tries to get the rights of those films and when they fail to get the rights they often select other films to be shown.

As far as more recent films being shown like Tootsie, I see no problem showing this film. On the Essentials, each film will get repeated after the initial new airings have been completed. Unfortunately for the OP, this film was also shown during 31 Days of Oscar.

My suggestion? Get over it. As someone else has written, some films are repeated as often as seven times per year. Not all films but some films. TCM can not get all the films that they want to get. This is a tough environment for them to operate in with all of the competitors for old movies that are out there now.

And it costs money which I am sure is hard to come by at TCM.