Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I once read that The Quiet Man`` was John Ford`s vision of an Ireland that never was and maybe that's true, but for me this is a film that will never grow old ands leaves me cheering and asking for more every time I see it.

• 9 months later...

It is my understanding that the movie was far longer and was cut by order of studio executives. All I remember of that is mention made of when he meets the priest for the first time: one of the scenes cut was a discussion between the priest and the driver which established that the driver was the local bookmaker and that the priest owed him money. I would very much like to see that scene!

>SanFin said: "It is my understanding that the movie was far longer and was cut by order of studio executives.

As the story goes, the head of the studio did want John ford to cut ten minutes out of it so theaters could squeeze in another show each day, but Ford refused, Finally after much argument, Ford took the last reel, cut off the final ten minutes and spliced on "The End" which, of course, ended it right in the middle of the big fight.

He screened the film for the studio head and said that was the only way he would cut it and made his point. The ten minutes was restored and the film was released just as Ford wanted it.

To date, THE QUIET MAN the only John Ford/John Wayne movie I really like.

I was lucky enough to have seen it on 35mm on St Patrick's Day in a small neighborhood theater and just went on a whim. They served Guinness, the theater was packed and it was a beautiful print!

stjonrv wrote:

> once read that The Quiet Man`` was John Ford`s vision of an Ireland that never was and maybe that's true, but for me this is a film that will never grow old ands leaves me cheering and asking for more every time I see it.

That was my reaction after seeing it-Ford captured the Ireland of my imagination perfectly! I don't particularly care for John Wyane movies, but I loved this one. He and Maureen O'Hara have great chemistry, the supporting cast is wonderful and the fight scene at the end is hilarious. I loved that they stop off for a pint halfway through!

For anyone who loves THE QUIET MAN, I recommend the book "The Complete Guide To The Quiet Man" by Des MacHale published in 2000 by Appletree Press. It's loaded with great behind the scenes stories and information plus color photos. Well worth reading and adding one's book collection.

While it's out-of-print and Amazon is selling new copies at heart-stopping prices, used and paperback versions are available at much more affordable prices.

fredcdobbs wrote:

>That was my reaction after seeing it-Ford captured the Ireland of my imagination perfectly!

>Do you know why? I mean, do you REALLY know why?

No..? Probably because Ive been inundated with images of Ireland and leprechauns and St Paddy's Day my whole life?

The film draws a lot of "quiet" attention around St. Patty's day. Years back I bought a copy on VHS and was told by the store owner that he ordered about 20 copies every year around that time and sold out every one year after year. The tape contained some extras on the end and I was surprised at some of the items mentioned like the bearded old man being John Fords brother and Wayne's kids sitting on the wagon in the race scene. Too much to recount here but it sounded like the whole cast & crew & their families went on vacation to Ireland and happened to make a movie.