Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
casablancalover2

Your BALLOT for the Oscar

I've already stated that I would have ballot write-in of Dana Andrews.

>kingrat wrote: If I remember correctly, Myrna Loy was Wyler and Goldwyn's first choice for the role, but because it was really a supporting part, they figured the only way they could get her would be to offer her top billing, which was what happened. Dana Andrews, Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell all have bigger roles.

BYOOL also contains the credit: *and Introducing Cathy O'Donnell.* She was a Goldwyn "discovery"

But as the story goes, after They Drive by Night, O'Donnell married William Wyler's brother, Robert Wyler. Goldwyn had been feuding with William Wyler; I suppose Goldwyn was feeling betrayed for he insisted she divorce Robert Wyler. When she refused. he canceled her contract Her career was light after that. Careful who you align yourself with.

> {quote:title=casablancalover2 wrote:}{quote}BYOOL also contains the credit: *and Introducing Cathy O'Donnell.* She was a Goldwyn "discovery" But as the story goes, after *They Drive by Night,* O'Donnell married William Wyler's brother. Goldwyn had been feuding with William Wyler; I suppose Goldwyn insisted she divorce. When she refused. he canceled her contract Her career was light after that.

I think you mean *They LIVE By Night.*

(I do the same thing; it's funny, for two films to be so different in tone, acting, story and quality, it is easy to say one when you mean the other.)

ps- WHY didn't they just call it Thieves Like Us ??!!!

Andrews had the most screen time of anyone, in the biggest commercial hit of the '40s, a film which won many Oscars and was a unanimous critical hit. Still, he was never considered a real star.

>Addison wrote: I think you mean They LIVE By Night.

>(I do the same thing; it's funny, for two films to be so different in tone, acting, story and quality, it is easy to say one when you mean the other.)

I am chagrined. :-/ oops..

Actually, in full confession, I have done this before. That poor film doesn't get the respect.

>ps- WHY didn't they just call it Thieves Like Us ??!!!

Why not indeed? LOL

Best Picture

*The Wages of Fear*

The Band Wagon

The Earrings of Madame De..

Voyage in Italy*

Mr. Hulot?s Holiday

Actor

*Jacques Tati, Mr. Hulot's Holiday*

Fred Astaire, The Band Wagon

George Sanders, Voyage in Italy

Chishu Ruy, Tokyo story

Yves Montand, The Wages of Fear

Actress

*Ingrid Bergman, Voyage in Italy*

Danielle Darrieux, The Earrings of Madame De..

Cyd Charisse, The Band Wagon

Marilyn Monroe, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Chieko Higashiyama, Tokyo Story

Supporting Actor

*Charles Vanel, The Wages of Fear*

Oscar Levant, The Band Wagon

Eitaro Ozawa, Ugetsu

Vittorio de Sica, The Earrings of Madame De

Marlon Brando, Julius Caesar

Supporting Actress

*Nanette Fabray, The Band Wagon*

Setsuko Hara, Tokyo Story

Thelma Ritter, Pickup on South Street

Ann Miller, Kiss me Kate

Mitsuko Mito, Ugetsu

The nominees are listed in order of preference. Keep in mind that I have not seen The Robe, The Moon is Blue, Mogambo, Torch Song or Hondo. I'm not sure whether Voyage in Italy is actually a 1953 or a 1954 release. If the latter Charles Boyer and Jane Russell take Sanders and Bergman's place as nominees.

obrien and skimpole, I really enjoyed your posts. These suggestions always leave me arguing with myself, let alone anyone else. I don't even know if I prefer the international version of the awards (skimpole) or the Oscar ballot format (obrienmundy)!

THE WAGES OF FEAR is one of my favorite films. What a great year for foreign films: THE WAGES OF FEAR, THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE . . ., I VITELLONI, TOKYO STORY, UGETSU, to name only five. skimpole's pick of THE BAND WAGON as best American film is fine with me, but so is the Academy's choice of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, and THE NAKED SPUR is one of my favorite westerns, and . . .no, I have to stop. I'm cool with Oscar's choice of Audrey Hepburn in ROMAN HOLIDAY as Best Actress, but Jennifer Jones in BEAT THE DEVIL is another favorite. Selznick should have let her play in more comedies!

As for the great years of the 1940s, choices like Claude Rains, Judith Anderson, Henry Fonda, and Bette Davis certainly work for me. Trying to figure out who should have won is great fun . . . I think.