Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most repeated lines in movies....

I would guess that I LOVE YOU would be the most common line of dialogue, overall, in Hollywood movies, and I think that FOLLOW THAT CAB/CAR would rank fairly high in frequency too.

Can you think of any others?

One of the most common single words of dialogue in movies in the 1970s and 80s was FREEZE. Seems that every cop and criminal in the 1970s and 80s used this word whenever they aimed a gun at anyone.

"I hate you!" and related lines such as "I'm going to kill you"

"Give me a drink" and related lines such as "Buy me a drink," "Let me buy you a drink"

"Do ya wanna get funky?" (but probably different words used . . . or glances exchanged).

in 30's & 40's fliks...

"...a sap." (as in "what do you think i am, some sort of a sap?"

or, "that's swell."

both are used a lot.

either one identifies the time in which it was made and TCM viewers (i think) find them endearingly charming. others find the slang of the era dated and/or off-putting.

a phrase (actually a one word phrase) that started in the 40's and is still in use is:

"...cool."

In almost every cowboy and Indian movie ever made:

"It's quite out there"

"Yah...To quite"

Also in many other oaters:

"We have a right to homestead this land"

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 24, 2013 2:29 AM

I think we have a WINNER here, as "What's the idea?" can be heard in many other movies besides THREE STOOGES shorts.

Plus, I never knew WALTER BRENNAN was ever in one of those!

A dumb one used a lot in the '80's and '90's : "I'm your WORST NIGHTMARE!"

I also heard some try it in real life. One time, during my ex's and my turbulent divorce proceedings, she showed up with a change in legal representation. At the courthouse, I pointed to the new counselor and asked, "Who are YOU?" She replied, "I'm your WORST NIGHTMARE!"

Not being able to resist, I answered, "I THOUGHT that face looked familiar!"

Sepiatone

If I were the judge, I would have chuckled, sepia.

See all that I missed with my amicable, do-it-yourself divorce 35 years ago? I recently told my ex that I could really use some retroactive alimony. He and his wife found that really amusing :)

How about: "Is that the best you have?!" (or ..."ya got"), which is a line that ya might see spoken in a film while someone is shopping and/or might often see spoken as a sarcastic retort.

(...and speakin' o' which Sepia, I LOVED your sarcastic retort in that courtroom!...BRAVO!!!)

... and I think that FOLLOW THAT CAB/CAR would rank fairly high in frequency too.

My favorite use of that line came in a Bob Hope movie when he said it, and then as the cab took off, yelled "WAIT FOR ME!"

(That's funny, dothery! Never heard that one. That Groucho!)

Maybe we've overlooked some of the basics:

"What's your name?" "My name is . . . what's yours?" "May I introduce you to . . . " "Who're you?"

Edited by: dpompper on Mar 25, 2013 6:57 PM