Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has 13 West Street ever been shown by TCM?

MovieMadness

I see that *13 West Street* is apparently Alan Ladd's last movie he did, and don't see anything much about it in the TCM database. Has this been shown before?

I will be seeing it tomorrow so was just wondering. On some other sites it sounds like an interesting crime movie.

It's a great little movie, I notice some don't like the way Ladd looks but he does a good job taking on some punks that beat him up. There is also Rod Steiger doing a cooled down *Heat Of The Night* cop routine as the detective on the case.

This movie has a few good twists and turns to it, I especially like the parents of the punks that think it is funny they lie to cops.

I know that I saw it on TCM within the last seven years or so. I saw it many years ago and while I think that the film is decent, this Ladd fan just gets too depressed by the sight of him. Not just his appearance, but he also sounds terrible, that rich radio trained voice now reduced to a slurring mumble.

He'd lose some of the puffiness for THE CARPETBAGGERS, and his old Paramount friends saw to it that he was lovingly photographed, but alas that was it for Ladd.

Visually I agree with you he is not his best, but if he was he would also not have been beat up like that.

How about John Wayne in his last role with cancer? Should all these movies be tossed out because the actors are way past their physical prime? We recently also saw Orson Wells as the decrepit old attorney and Barrymore as the cluelessly behind the times creeky sea captain, and both looked the part badly.

Should all these movies be tossed out because the actors are way past their physical prime?

I don't recall even hinting at anything like that. I just about never tell anyone to avoid seeing a film, but in this case, it is particularly sad as unlike Wayne or Barrymore who were pushing or indeed even past the age of 70 in the films to which you refer, we have an actor who wasn't even 50.

As in the case of the later Errol Flynn appearances, this viewer can't help but think of how personal choices cut both men down well before their time, and it does make me wish that I had a time machine and the influence to be able to say "please, don't do this to yourself."