Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I see TCM will be showing The Robe again

Was that the same Jay Robinson from the 70's Kroft show Dr Shrinker with Billy Barty?

SNL just did a sketch called Tales Of Sober Caligula with Justin Timberlake. It was Not as funny as Super Bassomatic or Clair Danes as Dysfunctional Tinkerbell, ("I'm a forty year old woman named Tinkerbell for God sake!")

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}It should immediately be followed by *Demetrius and the Gladiators*. For me the best thing in both films is Jay Robinson as that crazy Caligula.

It is; I just checked. Both *King of Kings,* the 1959 *Ben Hur, The Robe*, and *The Greatest Story* *Ever Told* are also being shown along with the more secular *Easter Parade.*

I know this must seem like overkill to non-Christians; I don't intend to watch them all myself as I'll be cooking up a storm as usual. I went to a lecture Monday night that explained the observance of Passover and included a light Sedar meal along with the meanings behind the dishes served so I understand if this seems a bit much to you folks when all you get is that overblown soap opera disguised as *The Ten Commandments.* Whatever you all celebrate this week-end, even if it's just the week-end, please stay safe.

>Star wrote: overblown soap opera disguised as The Ten Commandments.

>Tells me a little bit about you star...live and learn...please keep your distance...Jake in the Heartland

LOL!!!

Yes Star, at YOUR age you should know that there are just SOME things that a person should NEVER question, and if they ever DO, then SOME folks will find your thoughts "punishable" enough to have you banished from their circle of friends for LIFE!!!!

****!!!!!!!

(...btw Star, your opinion of The Robe reminded me of the time about 15 or 20 years ago when my wife and I started snickering while we watched Anne Baxter over-emoting "Oh Moses! Oh Moses" in The Ten Commandments while at my parents' house after Easter dinner...my now dearly departed mother found absolutely NO humor in our "display of irreverence" and continued to "scold" us by saying that SHE though the movie was one of the "greatest ever made"...to which I THEN responded with my impression of Billy Crystal's old comedy routine of impersonating Eddie G. Robinson saying, "M-yeah SEE?! Where's your Moses NOW, see?!...needless to say, good ol' mom found even LESS humor in THAT!!!!!)

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. For me, it is one of the most watchable films ever made. The Blu-ray is one of the best. THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, is problematic, but it is one of the most beautiful films ever made. It looked incredible in its road show release. Too bad they could not find better elements for the Blu-ray.

I love Cecil B's The Ten Commandments. It's next showing should be this saturday at 7 on ABC. Listen to me channel Chuck Heston...here goes...um-humph...*"Blasphemers! Idolators! For this you shall drink bitter waters! God has set before you this day his laws of life and good and death and evil. Those who will not live by the law...shall die by the law!!" :D:D:D*

OH! Btw FlyBack I forgot to reply to your original post here and your following quite here...

>For me the best thing in both films is Jay Robinson as that crazy Caligula.

Well, all I can say here is that Jay in that role always kinda reminded me of the ol' "Center Square" on a certain ol' game show.

Uh huh, 'cause I always thought Paul Lynne might've been able to do THAT whole kinda Roman Emperor routine TOO!

(...not that there would be all THAT much difference in the portrayals, of course, but at least PAUL might have been able to hit the punchlines a little bit better anyway...oh...wait...these flicks weren't comedies, huh!...never mind then!)

LOL

>."Blasphemers! Idolators! For this you shall drink bitter waters! God has set before you this day his laws of life and good and death and evil. Those who will not live by the law...shall die by the law!!"

Oh yeah, NOW I remember that part, FlyBack!

Isn't that the scene he drops one of his stone tablets he's carryin' and also says somethin' like: "I have 15....oops...TEN Commandments here that you folks have now forsaken!" ???

(...wait...maybe I'm thinkin' of another movie here, huh...sorry...never mind...again)

Many years ago on THE SIMPSONS, there was a laugh-aloud moment where they tacitly acknowledged that Chief Wiggum's voice is the same as Edward G. Robinson's. When Wiggum arrests Homer in the "Who Shot Mr. Burns" two-partner, he smugly asks him, "Where's your messiah now?"

Y'know, there are some good parts as well as laughable parts in *The Ten Commandments*. Yeah, I too, wait in vain for Eddie to lie on the ground asking, "Could this be happening to NIMROD?" And considering the times it was made during, we are forced to accept the now antiquated and cheezy looking special effects. I mean, C.B. could have hired a voice actor who didn't sound like a taped voice played on slow speed.

And to the one who's Mom didn't appreciate the movie being made fun of, well, don't we all get our hackles up a bit when our favorites get mocked?

Sepiatone

As far as *The Robe* goes, it was kind of an institution in our house when growing up. My Mom thought it kinda stunk, too, but she didn't care...VICTOR MATURE was in it!

I gotta agree with Mom. If NOT for Mature and Jay Robinson, it would be unbearable.

Back in the '90's, I found an old hardcover copy of the book at a book fair. I was reading it during a break at work when a co-worker asked me, "Is the book as BORING as the MOVIE?" I had to admit that the book was quite compelling. "You know, " I told him, "If they tried to remake the movie based more on this book, it would make for a FABULOUS mini-series."

The main problem with the old movie is RICHARD BURTON. The expression "phone it in" doesn't even work here. Burton seemed as if he sent HIS performance in by carrier pidgeon!

Sepiatone

Richard Burton stinks, in virtually every film he ever made. The only exceptions I can think of, to me, at least, are THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF (he deserved the Oscar). I saw him, on stage, in the original production of CAMELOT, and never could quite believe I was seeing the same person in all those horribly, overacted films. He had such a natural presence. So light and enjoyable.

wrote: *The main problem with the old movie is RICHARD BURTON. The expression phone it in

doesn't even work here. Burton seemed as if he sent HIS performance in by carrier pidgeon!

Sepiatone*

Richard Burton was nominated for best actor by the Academy for his role in

this movie. Of course, you are a sage with far more insight with what constitutes

a fine performance and what does not.

Jake in the Heartland

>And to the one who's Mom didn't appreciate the movie being made fun of, well, don't we all get our hackles up a bit when our favorites get mocked?

Well, "ol' sage" ;), that was ME who STILL cracks up every time I think of that Easter night at the folks' house, though I have to admit your point was well taken about how we all tend to defend the films we all hold dear. Case in point, the gentleman right down there below me here who seems to take exception with your opinion of Mr. Burton's work in this film. LOL

(...though I defy ANYONE to find a false or laughable note in MY favorite all-time films: "The Apartment" and "The Best Years of Our Lives"...go ahead, TRY!) ;)

Oh, well EXCUUUUUSE me! The ACADEMY nominated him for it.

And, as we ALL know, the ACADEMY always gets it right!

So, Jake, do you think Burton's performance in this flack-er-flick was actually good? Or do you think so because the ACADEMY said so?

Sepiatone

Now Sepia, WHY you ya want to get our friend in "The Heartland" all fired up here again, HUH???

I mean you have to remember that Mr. Burton is in a BIBLICAL-based story here, RIGHT?! And so NATURALLY good ol' Jake is gonna DEFEND the guy!!!

(...yep, I'm surprised at your age you haven't learned that it's a fool's errand to debate the "True Believers" out there, my friend!)

****!!!!

Jay Robinson is outrageously splendid in this film. I recommend reading his book, "The Comeback," which details his trouble with drugs, living the high life, etc. I remember many years ago flipping the channels and coming across him on one of the Christian networks. I kept thinking "I know this guy, but from where?" Then it dawned on me that it was Caligula, only more mature, and in a suit. He was talking about his book. I read it so long ago, that much of it escapes me now, but I do recall him writing about how his name was plastered all over the Hollywood newspapers during his troubles, and the only thing that got him off the front page was when Tyrone Power suffered a fatal heart attack. I also seem to recall that Robinson and Dean Jones went to see Roman Polanski, while Polanski was awaiting trial, to offer some spiritual guidance - and then, of course, Polanski skipped the country. Oh well.