Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scheduling for insomniacs

I see *Smokey and the Bandit* is scheduled for 3 am in the morning on Thursday. Shouldn't something like that be shown in primetime, eight or nine? And last night a perennial favorite of mine, *Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation* was shown at two in the morning. That too is something better shown at primetime hours imo.

I too, have noticed some marvelous gems placed on the midnight shift. As I'm retired, I'm able to catch some of them easier than when they're put on prime time. Being a peace loving man, I usually lose the fights over the remote. ;)

Sepiatone

Why hasn't some clever marketer come up with DUELING REMOTES? It'd sell faster than chia pets at christmas, I'd wager.

(A non-issue in my house. Only time cats use the remote is when they inadvertently lay on it. Interesting tidbit: When I turn off the TV using the remote, cats know instantly that it's time to head upstairs to bed. And who said you can't herd cats??)

When I turn off the TV using the remote, cats know instantly that it's time to head upstairs to bed.

My cat is the same way, in fact, he's even insistent about it. A week or two ago I fell asleep on the couch and at one point, I just grabbed the remote, turned the set off and rolled over. My cat started pawing at my feet, as if to remind me that I'm supposed to get up and go into the bedroom.

It seems *Smokey And The Bandit* needs to be shown after 8pm or 9pm Pacific time for language reasons. (It played late in the evening during Oscar Month too.) The original version of the film is/was Rated R.

*Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation* was shown earlier this month on a Sunday Afternoon / Evening. I guess that showing led TCM to believe that it didn't need to schedule it at an earlier hour for the second showing.

My cable box has DVR capabilities. Though I assume we are still in the minority, maybe it is assumed that an increasing number of people have or will soon have that feature, hence it doesn't matter what time the movies are shown.

THE FORTUNE is being shown at 3:30 AM. Jack Nicholson (my namesake) is also my favourite actor and I am very disappointed that I will not be able to watch this movie. I wish they would show the better movies in prime time. I do have a DVR (PVR) and could record it but it isn't the same as watching it in real time. :|

Twink

Heck, I'll even start watching something on TCM and then go to bed and finish watching it on DVD.

Love having choices!

Me too. I began taping Columbo 20 years ago when I would drift off watching it and miss the ending. The tape was there whenever I wanted to find out what happened. Now my DVR does it. I start recording whenever I know I'm likely to fade out.

THE FORTUNE is being shown at 3:30 AM. Jack Nicholson (my namesake) is also my favourite actor and I am very disappointed that I will not be able to watch this movie. I wish they would show the better movies in prime time. I do have a DVR (PVR) and could record it but it isn't the same as watching it in real time. :|

I wasn't terribly impressed with the whole picture, but some scenes are great. I must say I don't notice any difference between real time and the DVR.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}That's because, in MR. HOBBS, Jimmy Stewart drops a lot of "f" bombs. Thsy can't schedule it in prime time.

WHAT? I can't believe that. You're kidding, aren't you? MR. HOBBS was way before the f-bomb era!

Jimmy Stewart uttering the F word in a 1962 family comedy...with music by Henry Mancini??? Ridiculous. Jimmy never uttered the F word on-screen in his life. Also, I miss the real-time camaraderie of network programming of decades past with their weekly movie slots. Years ago when you were watching Jaws or close encounters on ABC sunday nights you took pleasure in knowing that millions of your fellow americans were watching it with you. American television has long since lost any sense of national fellowship. These diversity slash watch anything and everything when you want crapola has gone on too far. Heaven forbid we should have any sort of a nuclear attact today as it might cut into somebody's DVR schedule.

Jimmy Stewart uttering the F word in a 1962 family comedy...with music by Henry Mancini??? Ridiculous. Jimmy never uttered the F word on-screen in his life. Also, I miss the real-time camaraderie of network programming of decades past with their weekly movie slots. Years ago when you were watching Jaws or close encounters on ABC sunday nights you took pleasure in knowing that millions of your fellow americans were watching it with you. American television has long since lost any sense of national fellowship.

With real time social media there is more "real-time camaraderie" than there has ever been before.

Now the content associated with most of this "real-time camaraderie" doesn't suit my taste but it has been decades since there has only been 3 networks. Time marches on. Only nations like Iran and North Korea have real-time camaraderie because media is controlled by the goverment.

Well of course it isn't the same. Today the communication takes place in a manner of minutes (e.g. a tweet, a facebook posting) while in the 'old days' the communication (e.g. 'did you see that,,,'), didn't take place until one went to work, the beauty parlor, the diner etc....

In addition, today, for most content one doesn't have to depend on a network to show something and then plan their day around when the network decides to show said content. One can watch programs when they want.

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}

> Heaven forbid we should have any sort of a nuclear attact today as it might cut into somebody's DVR schedule.

I've paid thousands to have my DVRs shielded against electromagnetic pulse, for just such an occasion. :)